Honored Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
Does anyone use one of those mini trampolines, I think it may be called a "rebounder" to exercise? I had heard they might be a good low impact way to move the body. I'm so out of shape and don't exercise and thought this might be a fun way to at least start moving! I wanted one with the handle to hold onto while "jumping".

@hooked on booksI thought of getting one at once time but had heard that the bouncing could do possible damage to the eyes...detached retina.  I don't know how true that is but something to look into.

Honored Contributor

They sound like fun, not to mention good exercise.  Just be sure to place it in a room with a high ceiling.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
I had two knee replacements and used a recumbent bike during my physical therapy and I loved it! The PTs couldn't get me off it when my session was over so if no one else was waiting for it, they'd just let me stay on it for as long as I wanted, LOL! That might be an option but we have an older house and space is at a premium. I can't leave anything in front of the TV because I'd be afraid my 84 year old mother, who can barely walk and uses a rollator, would fall over it. She lives with DH and me and I'm her caregiver. Maybe I could put it down in the basement. She can't get down there so no worries about her tripping over it!
Valued Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
I know, I need to check with my cardiologist first. I just had a catherization done last week (which was clear) and I'm on a 30 day heart monitor now. Doc is trying to get to the bottom of my heartbeat irregularities and chest pain. I really want to get started on some kind of exercise but I know I need to take it slow. I'm a plus sized woman and want to make sure whatever I end up ordering will be appropriate for my weight. UGH!!! Before anyone suggests walking, I confess, I HATE walking. So many people really love to walk but I'm not one of them and I already know I would be setting myself up for defeat if I claimed I was going to start a walking program. I'm not a lazy person in general, I just hate to walk.😣

I'm not crazy about walking outdoors but I love my treadmill. I watch TV while I do it and you can start out real slow and gradually increase your speed. I have a mini trampoline also and hardly ever use it. Walking outdoors always was more tiring. When you're watching TV (I watch The Price is Right) you forget that you're walking.  Good luck with whatever you try.

Trusted Contributor
@Luvtuna, thanks!! 😃
Honored Contributor

Have been using one 5-6 times a week up to 45 minutes for around 30 years.  Mine didn't come with a handle, but would recommend one for older beginners.  

One of the best aerobic exercises I tried.  Great for maintaining balance as we age.  Easy on the joints.

Rather than jumping up and down, I jog in place, and do the "twist" (dance) lifting my feet off the mat.  The twist works on abdominal and thigh muscles.  

Buy a sturdy one, go slowly.  Not as easy as it looks. If you are older, get approval from your doctor.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mini Trampolines

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee  Your suggestions are good. I have one (a Rebounder, I believe) in the garage that has seldom been used . . . and it's been there for over 25 years! Perhaps I'll try to jog in place or dance. Mine does have a nice handle and is very well made. 

We've had a cooler than normal spring and my walking hasn't been as long as I had anticipated or my time spent in the yard. This has been such a disappointment since I look forward to spending time outside and getting in more exercise during the warmer weather. Very strange year in so many ways. We're all adjusting to new things.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@hooked on books I have one....it's kind of boring to use...20 minutes at a time....but I do use it when I cannot walk outside.

My doctor suggested it....I have osteoperosis.

And mind does have a handle. I think I paid about $50.00

Respected Contributor

Re: Mini Trampolines

[ Edited ]

I have a rebounder and it is the only exercise that I will stick to. I watch TV while rebounding. Sometimes I just walk on it, bounce some, it fun to really jump on it. Since I am 61 I now have 1 with a hand rail. I have the Jump Sport Brand. I got mine at Costco. I also have a smaller version without the hand rail that I bought on Amazon. I would not go with a rebounder without Bungees. I did start with the brand popular on HSN many years ago. I eventually gave that 1 away. It had springs but I used for years. It was a good starter model. I don't wear shoes when I rebound, just white socks. It takes a little practice to learn how to balance on the rebounder but once you get the hang of it, the rebounder is great. 

My dream rebounder is a Bellicon but I could not afford it. The Jump Sport is a close 2nd according to my research and a couple of hundred dollars less. Don't get a $20 or $30 rebounder, you will not like it or get the full effect of rebounding. 

Trusted Contributor
Thanks for all the info. everybody!! So if I get clearance from my cardiologist I will need to spend a little money and not get a cheap one, which was what I was planning to do, LOL!! After my first few bounces, I'd probably go right through it and land on the floor!!!! 😄😄