Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I never really understood what was supposed to be so bad about mineral oil or even petroleum jelly.  I have seen people with beautiful skin who use petroleum jelly exclusively as their moisturizer.  Once, I was told they were cheap ingredients.  So, what's wrong with that if it does no harm and brings the cost of the item down?  

It has been an ingredient that has been listed in some of the doctor-recommended skin care products for me, over the years.

The same thing with petroleum jelly. 

It has been used on my legs when I was going to wound care.

Esteemed Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I never really understood what was supposed to be so bad about mineral oil or even petroleum jelly.  I have seen people with beautiful skin who use petroleum jelly exclusively as their moisturizer.  Once, I was told they were cheap ingredients.  So, what's wrong with that if it does no harm and brings the cost of the item down?  

It has been an ingredient that has been listed in some of the doctor-recommended skin care products for me, over the years.

The same thing with petroleum jelly. 

It has been used on my legs when I was going to wound care.

That's because the body heals itself. Facial skin has its own moisturizing mechanism, and that's why these "cheap" ingredients work. It's actually the body working and the other things simply assist it.

Remember when Crisco was all the rage on this Board years ago? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Mineral Oil - The facts

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1   In years past, before we had the technology and knowledge about skincare now, mineral oil, cold cream and Vaseline were common in women's medicine cabinets. I think they can be somewhat heavy compared to what's available now. Mineral oil is not easily absorbed into the skin, but other oils we have available today sink right in and are usually non-comedogenic.

I appreciate the info in your post. 

Honored Contributor

The problem with avoiding mineral oil is that you don't realize it may indeed be included as one of the ingredients in a skincare product without you knowing it. Mineral oil has something like 100 different names for it! So getting fooled is easier than you think. @Shanus 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, C12-14 Isoparaffin is also another term for mineral oil, and yes, there are a lot more of these disguising terms, sad to say. I would much prefer an essential oil in my products. I feel the high priced vendors who sneak this in are cheating us and being dishonest. Mineral oil can be bought for pennies.  

Honored Contributor

As long as the product works for me is all I'm concerned with. 

Esteemed Contributor

"A rose by any other name...."

@ShelbelleI don't mean to hound you, but do you mean carrier oils? Essential oils are quite different than carriers.

Esteemed Contributor

Mineral oil does not irritate and is very often found in formulas for this purpose.  Not trendy, but does wonders for really dry skin too.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

"A rose by any other name...."

@ShelbelleI don't mean to hound you, but do you mean carrier oils? Essential oils are quite different than carriers.

I guess I do, I am no expert on oils, most of the skin care I buy is oil free, I have combo to oily skin at 68, and dont make it a habit to use oils. I mean oils that would be used in place of mineral oil and petroleum, whatever you call them. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle 

Several oils can actually help reduce oily skin. I know that sounds counterintuitive but it's true. When certain oils are applied to the skin then the skin reacts by shutting down it's own oil glands resulting in less oily skin. In some people, however, applying oils can lead to dry skin because applying oil can cause the oil gland to completely shut down. The key is to find an oil that your skin agrees with.