Honored Contributor

Here is some info on mineral oil.  Some women think it's bad for the skin but read on == it's actually good!!!

Beauty Myth Or Fact: Mineral Oil Is Bad For Your Skin
Ever heard that mineral oil can actually dry out your skin? Or cause premature aging? Mineral oil is one of the most commonly used oils in skin care products, but it often gets a bad rap. Here's what's fact and...

Ever heard that mineral oil can actually dry out your skin? Or cause premature aging? Mineral oil is one of the most commonly used oils in skin care products, but it often gets a bad rap. Here's what's fact and what's fiction when it comes to this frequently used moisturizer.

• Rumor: Mineral oil dries the skin and causes premature aging.
  • FALSE Mineral oil works as a barrier between the skin and the air. It acts as an occlusive agent, which means it prevents water from leaving your body through your skin. It will not dry out your skin or cause premature aging. The truth is mineral oil is one of the best skin care ingredients available.
  • Rumor: Mineral oil robs the skin of vitamins.
  • FALSE Since many vitamins are oil based, some people think that mineral oil will actually pull them out of your skin. There is no legitimate scientific evidence that this is true. Mineral oil has no effect on the vitamin levels in your skin.
  • Rumor: Mineral oil prevents the absorption of the collagen in your moisturizer.
  • FALSE The collagen in your moisturizer is too big to penetrate your skin (and that's a good thing!). Therefore, mineral oil will have no effect on whether collagen gets absorbed or not.
  • Rumor: Mineral oil causes acne.
  • MOSTLY FALSE Mineral oil can exacerbate acne problems for some. However, most people will not experience any problems. In fact, in a study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, cosmetic grade mineral oil was found to be non-comedogenic (meaning it doesn't clog pores, which can lead to blackheads and acne).
  • Mineral oil isn't safe.
  • FALSE The mineral oil that is used in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry is highly refined and purified (its purity is even regulated by the FDA and other international regulatory agencies). I could find no evidence in any dermatological or medical journal indicating that cosmetic grade mineral oil isn't safe to use.

Bottom Line Mineral oil is an effective, safe and inexpensive moisturizing ingredient. Give it a try!

For more science-based beauty tips check out the Beauty Brains!

More from SELF: Healthy Beauty Awards: Best Skin Care Picks The #1 Anti-Cellulite Ingredient Cardio Routines to Sizzle Winter Weight

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 

Thanks I have been following dr Dray for over a year now and she said this as well . I know there are people who have serious health issues and must be careful with what they use . Sadly today there is so much marketing and fear mongering among skin and beauty companies.

Have a great weekend 

Honored Contributor

Re: Mineral Oil - The facts

[ Edited ]

Funny that the vendors who use it will never tell you they do in their spiel, but the ones who dont use it will always tout that they dont use it, has to be a reason. For me, personally, I will never use it or petrolatum, just my personal decision. not here to argue over its positive features. I once heard a derm doc say using this on your face, is like wrapping it in saran wrap, that was enough to turn me off for life. Too many other quality ingredeitns out there with lots more integrity. If you have faith in the Beekman Boys, ask them!!!

One fact i do know is it is a very large molecure, which does prevent other ingredients from penetrating when used together. 

Honored Contributor

So for decades it's been on the "do not  use" list and now it's good for your skin Smiley Surprised  These are the facts now. What will the facts be in 20 years?  (sigh)

Valued Contributor

@monicakm I was just thinking the same thing myself. They say one thing and then 10 years later its totally opposite. But I understand things change.

From what I know mineral oil is super inexpensive and its made from the junk of the lubricating oil thats used in cars. Why would anyone want to put that on their face, beats me. But if some of you now think its not that bad because of one or two people suggesting.....nah I'll pass. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Valued Contributor

I've used moisturizers with mineral oil and petroleum when my skin was irritated or excessively dry and it worked great for me. Many derm recommended moisturizers have these ingredients.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you think youv'e done a good job at avoiding using mineral oil, you would be very surprised to know that that you probably haven't avoided it as much as you think you have. Mineral oil is listed in the ingredients by different names...something like 100 different names.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

Funny that the vendors who use it will never tell you they do in their spiel, but the ones who dont use it will always tout that they dont use it, has to be a reason. For me, personally, I will never use it or petrolatum, just my personal decision. not here to argue over its positive features. I once heard a derm doc say using this on your face, is like wrapping it in saran wrap, that was enough to turn me off for life. Too many other quality ingredeitns out there with lots more integrity. If you have faith in the Beekman Boys, ask them!!!

One fact i do know is it is a very large molecure, which does prevent other ingredients from penetrating when used together. 

What do you use @Shelbelle ?

Don't you want that protection (well, not necessarily something described as wrapped in saran wrap) but something occlusive in order to prevent transepidermal water loss?

For me, I want it all - actives, humectants and something occlusive.

I understand about mineral oil. (In getting a bad "wrap"!) There are other natural occlusives out there. Why I prefer them, though....? I like the feel of those rather than a mineral oil product. And I like the added benefits of the added skin nutrients they offer, whereas mineral oil doesn't.

As far as an occlusive, though, they all act the same, and probably not harmful in any way to the skin.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you think youv'e done a good job at avoiding using mineral oil, you would be very surprised to know that that you probably haven't avoided it as much as you think you have. Mineral oil is listed in the ingredients by different names...something like 100 different names.

Interesting @SilleeMee .  The mineral phobic crowd have probably used it. 

Honored Contributor

I never really understood what was supposed to be so bad about mineral oil or even petroleum jelly.  I have seen people with beautiful skin who use petroleum jelly exclusively as their moisturizer.  Once, I was told they were cheap ingredients.  So, what's wrong with that if it does no harm and brings the cost of the item down?