Frequent Contributor

Re: Mineral Foundation Alternatives Please!!

@decaf  I'm glad you helped me out on the tagging because I had been spending time trying to figure it out then gave up!

I will let you know what I decide to try and how it works out. I'm hoping they sell samples, plus it helps knowing what color I wore in BM as most companies should be able to relate to that in order to help with a color match.

I have a lot of research to do and appreciate everyone's help and other company suggestions!

Valued Contributor

@LAllyR 

Morning ! . I have sensitive skin and love Alima Pure mineral foundation. They have very few ingredients. They have 45 shades within their range -Cool,Neutral,Beige,Warm and Olive . Samples are $1.75 each or you can buy a sample set for $24 . There are 8 to choose from . Each contains 10 samples in the various tones ,a kabuki brush and a $10 coupon for a full size shade . Good luck !

Honored Contributor

@LAllyR   At least you have the website to assist when purchasing beauty/personal products.  Have a really great day.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Another vote for Jane Iredale

Super Contributor

Maybe you can try the Bare Minerals Matte Foundation.  That is suppose to help with the itching.  It is on the Q's website. 

Respected Contributor

@decaf   Thanks for the reply.  Not too long at all!  I definitely can relate to what you're saying.   There are many ingredients I can't wear on my face skin (haven't identified them all), but things like the silicones, oils, etc.  But, like you, the worst for me is the eyes.  A couple of years ago I developed some allergy to something and I've had to give up eye shadow and eyeliner.  It's not like I wore so much eye makeup, but really I miss so much being able to enhance and define.  I generally have no problem with mascara.  Happy for that.  I have no idea what I'm allergic to in the liners and shadows.  That's why I was so interested and hoping for some direction.   Sadly, I'm also challenged when it comes to undereye concealer too.  Can you imagine?!  For right now I have no problem with christie brinkley undereye concealer, but of course it's discontinued now so I'm not sure what I'll do next.  I keep trying things and I keep having reactions (swelling, redness, etc) and have no idea what the common thread is. Also have no idea why the christie brinkley concealer is not a problem for my eye area.  Sigh.  So please, I'd be interested in hearing about any brands and specifics for eye products, etc. that have been easier for you to use.  Thanks Smiley Happy

Btw, I've never heard of the Han brand. I will check it out.

Frequent Contributor

@TerryNJ  I have tried the BM Matte without the bismuth. But it still has mica. It's been so long ago that I can't remember why I didn't continue. I assume it still itched because of the mica which is the same issue with my current brand, Everyday Minerals. I think I'll try a different one without mica and see how it works. I have a lot of research to do in order to decide which one to try next. Thanks for your reply!

Frequent Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn  Thank you for responding. Alima Pure is on my research list but I see that it still has the mica in the foundation. I may go with a different one first without mica to see if my itching goes away.

Honored Contributor

The one time I tried a mineral foundation it triggered an asthma attack so I threw it out and never bought any mineral products after that.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@moonandthestars wrote:

@decaf   Thanks for the reply.  Not too long at all!  I definitely can relate to what you're saying.   There are many ingredients I can't wear on my face skin (haven't identified them all), but things like the silicones, oils, etc.  But, like you, the worst for me is the eyes.  A couple of years ago I developed some allergy to something and I've had to give up eye shadow and eyeliner.  It's not like I wore so much eye makeup, but really I miss so much being able to enhance and define.  I generally have no problem with mascara.  Happy for that.  I have no idea what I'm allergic to in the liners and shadows.  That's why I was so interested and hoping for some direction.   Sadly, I'm also challenged when it comes to undereye concealer too.  Can you imagine?!  For right now I have no problem with christie brinkley undereye concealer, but of course it's discontinued now so I'm not sure what I'll do next.  I keep trying things and I keep having reactions (swelling, redness, etc) and have no idea what the common thread is. Also have no idea why the christie brinkley concealer is not a problem for my eye area.  Sigh.  So please, I'd be interested in hearing about any brands and specifics for eye products, etc. that have been easier for you to use.  Thanks Smiley Happy

Btw, I've never heard of the Han brand. I will check it out.

@moonandthestars  I feel terrible for you, there's so many ingredients it's a huge puzzle trying to figure out which ones(s) your body doesn't like. When I first knew it was talc, I said ok, no talc, but still some products w/o talc made me itch and burn. I looked at the ingredients and those and they ALL had oxy bismuth in them. You'll only find out by looking at the products that bother you and seeing which ingredients they have in common, just trying to narrow it down.  I was almost ready to see an allergist and get tested, that's maybe also an option for you. I know it's very frustrating.

Here's the ingredient list I found Christie Brinkley Concealer.(Stick). It's the only CB concealer I found when I looked.  The ingredients I bolded are ALL silicones and also talc so maybe you're really are not allergic to silicone after all. Or dimethicone anyway.  I notice there is NO OXYCHLORIDE BISMUTH in this CB Concealer, it's a possibility you're allergic to that like I am.  It'a a very common ingredient in many products. Maybe you can check if other products that bother you also contain oyx bismuth?

Ingredients

Hexyl Laurate, Dimethicone, Ceresin, Triethylhexanoin, Talc, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, VP/ Hexadecene Copolymer, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Aluminum Hydroxide, Caprylic/ Capric Triglyceride, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, May Contain (+/-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

For concealer I use Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer and Maybelline Age Rewind, those work for me, they're talc and oxy bismuth free.  In the CB Concealer you use there's Triethoxycaprylylsilane, is a silicone base oil. A concealer or foundation has to have some 'slip' on the skin, that's why there's silicones and oils in almost all common ones. Any ingredient ending with 'cone', 'oxane', 'conol'  is a silicone, but there's also silicone base oils that have many different names. So difficult. If you still think you're allergic to silicone and oils maybe you should look at WATER base foundations and concealers only, so the first ingredient should start with 'water, aqua, eau'. I've heard of a brand called Harvest Natural Beauty( I haven't tried it though) but there's also many others if you google silicone free foundation.  Also, If you still think you're allergic to silicone check out  "The Skincare Edit, Seven Reasons to Avoid Silicone', (not allowed to post links with ads here)  also "Harvest Natural Beauty" products.

It's a lot of research and trial and error, it's a puzzle, but hopefully if you can start to find a few products  that don't bother you.  And check out more common hypoallergenic product lines like TheBalm, Burt's Bee's, Pacifica, Ilia, too. (Some do contain oxy bis though) Let me know, I'd be interested to know if you have any luck narrowing down you're skin sensitivity.