Frequent Contributor

Re: Mineral Foundation Alternatives Please!!

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@LAllyR wrote:

Bare Minerals was my introduction to mineral foundation and I have loved it! However, I like many others, got itchy when getting hot and sweaty. After some research, I found that bismuth was the likely culprit. So after more research, I switched to Everyday Minerals which doesn't contain bismuth. To my disappointment, the mineral foundation still bothered me so I've done some more research and found that it could be the mica. I was all set to try Meow Cosmetics which had a couple of formulas that were low in mica only to find out that they are going out of business.

So now I'm asking for help from all of you! Do you have any input on whether or not it's the mica that's bothering me or something else? I really would like to continue using powder mineral foundation so I did an internet search plus reading posts on here. I came up with some other companies that I need to look into but if any of you have experience (good or bad) with any of them, please share.

The companies I've found so far are: Mineral Fusion, Mineral Hygienics, Mineral Silk, Deluvia Cosmetics, Lucy Minerals, Alima Pure, Nude by Nature, and Faerie Organic.

Thank you in advance for your help!

@LAllyR   I've recommended Jane Iredale and MAC mineral foundations. I no longer use my BM podwer foundation because I find a powdered look can appear aging. I think a soft dewey finish in makeup is more youthful...and yes, even in winter, I do use a finely milled, undetectable setting powder just in my t zone.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I checked the websites and ingredients and saw mica plus they're a little more costly than others that will likely work.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It wrote:

@LAllyR  Jane Iredale is a pure mineral line that was sold by plastic surgeons in their offices for their patients to use after surgery. It later found its way into spas, and now is available in retail stores. I have purchased it from Nordstrom. The foundation is currently available in both a powder and a cream. Jane Iredale has a website where you might find a retail outlet in your area.

Thank you! Jane Iredale does have good reviews and a skin cancer seal of approval, however, the mineral powder foundation has mica which is what I'm trying to stay away from. Plus it's a bit spendy for me.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

I really liked Serious Skin Care Bella Rose mineral foundation, maybe available on ther website or on ebay. 

I totally forgot about the SSC Bella Rose foundation! I used to use that when HSN sold it. I liked it but can't recall if it made me itchy or not. Maybe it did but I put up with it. I found the SSC website and the foundation but it doesn't list the ingreients so I can't check for bismuth and mica. I actually still use their red foundation sifter container for my Everyday Minerals foundation. I love the rounded cover to swirl my brush in. I may have to call them to find out the ingredients.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

@moonandthestars  Thanks for asking, it's a real pain.  I have to read the ingredients in everything, my big issue is powder products. I had to toss so many products until I determined by trial and error the exact ingredients that were causing me a problem. Luckily I've never had an allergic reaction to mascara or eyeliner pencil, except one plum/purple eyeliner pencil, but I've read many are sensitive to that color eyeliner across many brands.

I'm more allergic on my eyelids than the rest of my face.  I have Anastasia BH(Modern Renaissance only), Lily Lobo, PYT, W3ll People, Burt's Bees, Found, Jane Iredale eyeshadows.  There's new stuff coming out all the time for people with allergies.

I don't wear foundation, I mix a little SPF moisturizer with drugstore foundation, Maybelline Fit Dewy, Loreal, etc. to make a little BB cream.  I just ordered the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue BB Cream here, I hope it's good.  I use Han bronzer and blush, Burt Bees blush, Jane Iredale Finishing Powder or Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Powder. 

@LAllyR Wearing face and eyelid primers under makeup really helps with these types of sensitivities,as long as they don't contain the offending ingredients, of course. When I do that I've found I can even wear some products with talc and bismuth oxychloride, as long as those raw materials are pretty far down on the ingredient list.

@moonandthestars, Sorry this was so long.  Do you have any sensitivities to makeup you use?

I do use primers on my face and eyes but still have the face itching. Smiley Sad Great tip though!

Trusted Contributor

@LAllyR Another company I came across is Rejuva Minerals, no mica or bismuth.

From what I've learned mica itself is not usually an allergy causiig raw ingredient. Sometimes it's not fine enough, just hard little slivers that cuts into and irritates the skin. Causing that prickly itching sensation. Like I said earlier, it may be the coating on the mica causing the allergy or just that it's not ground finely enough for you skin.  Lots to google about this.  Don't rule all mica out although kaolin, rice and even tapioca base products are available. 

Bismuth and talc are different, many ppl become truly allergic to these.  HTH

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1  That's a great website to keep handy! Thank you for sharing it. I've checked Jane Iredale and it has mica plus it's a bit costly for me.

Trusted Contributor

@LAllyR  In case you may want to know, you can tag someone here so that particular person will be notified of your post.  In your post just hit the @ sign, a list of posters names will appear and click on that poster's name.  (I'm just trying to be helpful.)

Frequent Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@LAllyR Another company I came across is Rejuva Minerals, no mica or bismuth.

From what I've learned mica itself is not usually an allergy causiig raw ingredient. Sometimes it's not fine enough, just hard little slivers that cuts into and irritates the skin. Causing that prickly itching sensation. Like I said earlier, it may be the coating on the mica causing the allergy or just that it's not ground finely enough for you skin.  Lots to google about this.  Don't rule all mica out although kaolin, rice and even tapioca base products are available. 

Bismuth and talc are different, many ppl become truly allergic to these.  HTH

Thank you for the Rejuva Minerals recommendation. I will check that out too. And thanks for the clarification on the mica issue. I'll read the mineral foundation descriptions to see if they specifically say finely milled. If they are marketing to people with sensitivity issues, then they will specifically mention it in the foundation descriptions.

Frequent Contributor

@decaf  Thank you ... Thank you! I haven't done this in a long time and when I hit reply on all the posts and typed my response, I noticed it wasn't tagging people. I didn't know how to do that so edited them all to quote them!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LAllyR  You're welcome, I wasn't sure if you knew but, I didn't want to assume you didn't know either. 

Let us know if you find or try any products that work, it's out there. And some of these companies are smaller and have excellent customer service reps that really know all about these makeup problems.  Let us know.  Good luck!