Honored Contributor

Re: Mineral Foundation Alternatives Please!!

I really liked Serious Skin Care Bella Rose mineral foundation, maybe available on ther website or on ebay. 

Respected Contributor

@decaf   with your ingredient sensitivities, what do you use for eye makeup? also, what's your foundation choice? 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@moonandthestars  Thanks for asking, it's a real pain.  I have to read the ingredients in everything, my big issue is powder products. I had to toss so many products until I determined by trial and error the exact ingredients that were causing me a problem. Luckily I've never had an allergic reaction to mascara or eyeliner pencil, except one plum/purple eyeliner pencil, but I've read many are sensitive to that color eyeliner across many brands.

I'm more allergic on my eyelids than the rest of my face.  I have Anastasia BH(Modern Renaissance only), Lily Lobo, PYT, W3ll People, Burt's Bees, Found, Jane Iredale eyeshadows.  There's new stuff coming out all the time for people with allergies.

I don't wear foundation, I mix a little SPF moisturizer with drugstore foundation, Maybelline Fit Dewy, Loreal, etc. to make a little BB cream.  I just ordered the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue BB Cream here, I hope it's good.  I use Han bronzer and blush, Burt Bees blush, Jane Iredale Finishing Powder or Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Powder. 

@LAllyR Wearing face and eyelid primers under makeup really helps with these types of sensitivities,as long as they don't contain the offending ingredients, of course. When I do that I've found I can even wear some products with talc and bismuth oxychloride, as long as those raw materials are pretty far down on the ingredient list.

@moonandthestars, Sorry this was so long.  Do you have any sensitivities to makeup you use?

Honored Contributor

@LAllyR  Go to cosmily.com   Select Analyze Cosmetics and copy your ingredients into the box provided.  It will let you know what is an allergen.  So you copy the Bare Minerals ingredients and then go to the cosmily website.

Try Jane Iredale for Mineral foundations.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

You're my twin.  Twenty five years ago I started my journey with Bare Minerals loose powder mineral foundation.  Hot and sweaty=itchy.  I learned it was the bismuth.  Switched to Everyday mineral makeup.  But I don't recall why I stopped using it.  Maybe I got bored and wanted to try something else.  I don't remember.  Google says the mica CAN cause itching on sensitive skin so maybe that's why I stopped it.  That's all my experience with mineral makeup.  One of the foundations I use is Fenty's PRO FILT'R SOFT MATTE POWDER FOUNDATION.  I guess it's not a "mineral" makeup?  It's a beautiful matte finish whatever it is.  Comes in 45ish shades.  I like how I an brush on a little for light coverage or pat on with a powder puff for a fuller coverage.

Yes! We have the same issues with itching. I recall trying the Bare Minerals foundation without the bismuth but if I remember correctly, it still bothered me and that would make sense due to the mica causing the itching. I really like Everyday Minerals since they have really good prices and sales and more product but I just can't handle the itching. Thank you for your recommendation. I found the website and saved that item to research!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

Oh, I know your pain, I'm allergic to talc and bismuth in eye makeup and face makeup, although some brands have been worse than others.  Maybe look into makeup made with kaolin (clay powder) or oryza sativa (rice powder).  Kaolin might be good if your skin is oily, too drying if your skin is already dry.  Products made from rice powder are really nice.  I think Omiana is one brand.

ETA-  100% mineral products sound pure and healthy because they're all natural but in reality they can cause allergic reactions in people with sensitive skin, especially mica and bismuth.

Wow ... I have never heard of Omiana. I found it online and saved the link to the powder mineral foundation. And it doesn't have mica or bismuth! Thank you so much for the recommendation! Looks like a lot of color choices so that would be the next hurdle. I wore Fairly Light in BM so that should help trying to find color matches in all the different brands.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kabella wrote:

Have you tryed Pur Minerals?

I ruled out Pur as it has both bismuth and mica. I wish it didn't because it looks like a good brand with a lot of good reviews. Thanks for responding.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

@LAllyR  I just read an article from Sterling Minerals about allergies to ingredients that mica is coated with, not the mica itself.  I'm not allowed to post a link but you can google that.

I found the foundation and explanation about what the mica is encapsulated in. This Sterling Minerals brand also looks promising for me! Thank you so much for your help!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Southern Magnolia Mineral Cosmetics 

Heres some info on their mineral powder foundation:

• Full size sifter jar last 4+ months
  • Full all-day flawless coverage with matte finish for all ages and skin types
  • Natural anti-inflammatory with ingredients to calm & soothe problem skin
  • Won't cake, crease, clog pores, or melt away
  • Better for your complexion and improves skin over time
  • Natural UVA/UVB Sun Protection
  • Simple ingredients

Simple Ingredients: Zinc Oxide, Sericite, Rice Powder, Kaolin Clay, Iron Oxides.

This Southern Magnolia foundation also looks like it could be a great one to try! And they sell samples which is a must when trying to get a color match. Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely add it to my possibility list!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 wrote:

@monicakm The Fenty Powder Foundation is beautiful, isn't it? The color I chose is a bit light for me & if I can catch a sale I will get a deeper shade.

Meanwhile I can use the shade I have & I love the way it glides on (I use either a dense brush or the Miracle Powder Foundation Sponge from Real Techniques.) & it is so smooth & soft. Works great on my combo skin & doesn't break me out.

I also love the loose powder from Fenty, but it is for setting only. It has no coverage.

Thanks for the review! I've added this one to my possibility list!