Frequent Contributor

Mineral Foundation Alternatives Please!!

Bare Minerals was my introduction to mineral foundation and I have loved it! However, I like many others, got itchy when getting hot and sweaty. After some research, I found that bismuth was the likely culprit. So after more research, I switched to Everyday Minerals which doesn't contain bismuth. To my disappointment, the mineral foundation still bothered me so I've done some more research and found that it could be the mica. I was all set to try Meow Cosmetics which had a couple of formulas that were low in mica only to find out that they are going out of business.

So now I'm asking for help from all of you! Do you have any input on whether or not it's the mica that's bothering me or something else? I really would like to continue using powder mineral foundation so I did an internet search plus reading posts on here. I came up with some other companies that I need to look into but if any of you have experience (good or bad) with any of them, please share.

The companies I've found so far are: Mineral Fusion, Mineral Hygienics, Mineral Silk, Deluvia Cosmetics, Lucy Minerals, Alima Pure, Nude by Nature, and Faerie Organic.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Honored Contributor

Re: Mineral Foundation Alternatives Please!!

You're my twin.  Twenty five years ago I started my journey with Bare Minerals loose powder mineral foundation.  Hot and sweaty=itchy.  I learned it was the bismuth.  Switched to Everyday mineral makeup.  But I don't recall why I stopped using it.  Maybe I got bored and wanted to try something else.  I don't remember.  Google says the mica CAN cause itching on sensitive skin so maybe that's why I stopped it.  That's all my experience with mineral makeup.  One of the foundations I use is Fenty's PRO FILT'R SOFT MATTE POWDER FOUNDATION.  I guess it's not a "mineral" makeup?  It's a beautiful matte finish whatever it is.  Comes in 45ish shades.  I like how I an brush on a little for light coverage or pat on with a powder puff for a fuller coverage.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, I know your pain, I'm allergic to talc and bismuth in eye makeup and face makeup, although some brands have been worse than others.  Maybe look into makeup made with kaolin (clay powder) or oryza sativa (rice powder).  Kaolin might be good if your skin is oily, too drying if your skin is already dry.  Products made from rice powder are really nice.  I think Omiana is one brand.

ETA-  100% mineral products sound pure and healthy because they're all natural but in reality they can cause allergic reactions in people with sensitive skin, especially mica and bismuth.

Respected Contributor

Have you tryed Pur Minerals?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LAllyR  I just read an article from Sterling Minerals about allergies to ingredients that mica is coated with, not the mica itself.  I'm not allowed to post a link but you can google that.

Honored Contributor

Southern Magnolia Mineral Cosmetics 

Heres some info on their mineral powder foundation:

• Full size sifter jar last 4+ months
  • Full all-day flawless coverage with matte finish for all ages and skin types
  • Natural anti-inflammatory with ingredients to calm & soothe problem skin
  • Won't cake, crease, clog pores, or melt away
  • Better for your complexion and improves skin over time
  • Natural UVA/UVB Sun Protection
  • Simple ingredients

Simple Ingredients: Zinc Oxide, Sericite, Rice Powder, Kaolin Clay, Iron Oxides.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kabella wrote:

Have you tryed Pur Minerals?

Pur Minerals has bis oxy in it. That doesn't bother me and I love it, my fave.

But if you're interested in the Pur foundation, check out 40Boxes dot com for their special sale of $21 (reg $30).  Seven shades. It's pressed, no mess. Other things from Pur over there, too, on sale.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm The Fenty Powder Foundation is beautiful, isn't it? The color I chose is a bit light for me & if I can catch a sale I will get a deeper shade.

Meanwhile I can use the shade I have & I love the way it glides on (I use either a dense brush or the Miracle Powder Foundation Sponge from Real Techniques.) & it is so smooth & soft. Works great on my combo skin & doesn't break me out.

I also love the loose powder from Fenty, but it is for setting only. It has no coverage.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LAllyR wrote:

Bare Minerals was my introduction to mineral foundation and I have loved it! However, I like many others, got itchy when getting hot and sweaty. After some research, I found that bismuth was the likely culprit. So after more research, I switched to Everyday Minerals which doesn't contain bismuth. To my disappointment, the mineral foundation still bothered me so I've done some more research and found that it could be the mica. I was all set to try Meow Cosmetics which had a couple of formulas that were low in mica only to find out that they are going out of business.

So now I'm asking for help from all of you! Do you have any input on whether or not it's the mica that's bothering me or something else? I really would like to continue using powder mineral foundation so I did an internet search plus reading posts on here. I came up with some other companies that I need to look into but if any of you have experience (good or bad) with any of them, please share.

The companies I've found so far are: Mineral Fusion, Mineral Hygienics, Mineral Silk, Deluvia Cosmetics, Lucy Minerals, Alima Pure, Nude by Nature, and Faerie Organic.

Thank you in advance for your help!

@LAllyR   I've recommended Jane Iredale and MAC mineral foundations. I no longer use my BM powder foundation because I find a powdered look can appear aging. I think a soft dewey finish in makeup is more youthful...and yes, even in winter, I do use a finely milled, undetectable setting powder just in my t zone.

Respected Contributor

@LAllyR  Jane Iredale is a pure mineral line that was sold by plastic surgeons in their offices for their patients to use after surgery. It later found its way into spas, and now is available in retail stores. I have purchased it from Nordstrom. The foundation is currently available in both a powder and a cream. Jane Iredale has a website where you might find a retail outlet in your area.