Honored Contributor

I went for a facial yesterday and had milla all around the perimeter of my face, I am 60 have few winkles, a mild case of roseaca and fairly oily skin. I have used spf 30 for the face all Summer and now this.

I am not sure what the cause is, I did try the new Jay Manuel foundation from HSN, which I am returning.

I am stumped and not sure what to do at this point

thanks all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

You have got to try Paula's Choice 2% Liquid BHA.  This amazing product is getting rid of my milia/whiteheads on my nose and chin.  I've used her products since 1995 and love most of them.

Honored Contributor

Funny thing I do use it but mostly on my nose and cheeks, I need to now swipe the cotton on my whole fact.

Thank you 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Re: Millia - ugh

[ Edited ]

I have oily skin. Whenever I begin to get clogged pores in the form of whiteheads on my face I know it is the new product. I had this happen many years ago with a highly touted Shiseido sunscreen. It was an expensive mistake.

I would stop the sunscreen. In the summer I use a Japanese one with SPF 50 that I buy from eBay called Biore UV Perfect Face milk and in the winter I use Paula's Choice Resist Super Light SPF 30. 

I highly suggest for you to get PC's AHA 8%. This has completely transformed my skin as well as my husband's. It makes your face smooth and I hardly any clogged pores. When I do they resolve very easily without breaking out. I hardly breakout anymore either.

I would also consider PC's 2% BHA as suggested for during the day but at this point you need something stronger to clear the millia. Begin to use the 8% AHA once at night every other night until you get used to it and then you can use it nightly. It can be used twice a day but I find it too strong and I have very oily skin and I am considerably younger than you. 

Another product that will clear your millia, address wrinkles and keep it clear is a retinol product. If you read the reviews for PC's clinical 1%, there are people in their twenties who are using it that state it works better than a prescription acne product as well as those that suffer from adult acne. You may not have these issues but since you have oily skin, you do need a product that offers constant exfoliation in order to prevent millia and clogged pores from surfacing. I hope this helps. 

It doesn't have to be a PC product but that is what I have experience with. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

Thank you but 8% AHA would send my roseaca in to a flare and I have no wrinkles  thank you 

@NycVixen wrote:

I have oily skin. Whenever I begin to get clogged pores in the form of whiteheads on my face I know it is the new product. I had this happen many years ago with a highly touted Shiseido sunscreen. It was an expensive mistake.

I would stop the sunscreen. In the summer I use a Japanese one with SPF 50 that I buy from eBay called Biore UV Perfect Face milk and in the winter I use Paula's Choice Resist Super Light SPF 30. 

I highly suggest for you to get PC's AHA 8%. This has completely transformed my skin as well as my husband's. It makes your face smooth and I hardly any clogged pores. When I do they resolve very easily without breaking out. I hardly breakout anymore either.

I would also consider PC's 2% BHA as suggested for during the day but at this point you need something stronger to clear the millia. Begin to use the 8% AHA once at night every other night until you get used to it and then you can use it nightly. It can be used twice a day but I find it too strong and I have very oily skin and I am considerably younger than you. 

Another product that will clear your millia, address wrinkles and keep it clear is a retinol product. If you read the reviews for PC's clinical 1%, there are people in their twenties who are using it that state it works better than a prescription acne product as well as those that suffer from adult acne. You may not have these issues but since you have oily skin, you do need a product that offers constant exfoliation in order to prevent millia and clogged pores from surfacing. I hope this helps. 

It doesn't have to be a PC product but that is what I have experience with. 

Frequent Contributor

Are you cleaning your face into the hairline, etc.  Or maybe it could be hair products.  Stay away from any silicone products.  My derm recommends Neutrogena Ultra Sheer dry touch sunscreen.  He was very specific about that one.  It has a light weight and feels clean.  

Respected Contributor

Bobbi Brown eye cream gave me a terrible case of milia around my lower right eye. I have been using Differin gel every other night as per my derm and it has helped a great deal. I also have rosacea and am very tentative w/new exfoliating products as well.

Honored Contributor

I know that it seems intuitive to blame milia on products that feel heavy or greasy or oily. But the fact is, milia are not acne. They are not a result of clogged pores. They are not even in the pores of your skin. For one of many reasons, sometimes the skin folds over and traps keratin within. One of most oft-repeated cause is sun damage or other types of damage to the skin.

Some have had luck with BHA. I have a couple very small milia, and they remain steadfast regardless of treatment. If they were larger, like one that I had on my eyelid, I would have them removed professionally, which is what my ophthalmologist did for the milium cyst on my eye.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland