Honored Contributor

Milia - What I'm doing

[ Edited ]

I have posted a couple of times concerning issues with milia.  The last time I wrote I had gone to my derm. for various issues and he said the only way for me to get rid of them was by him using a lancet which would end up being expensive and leave red spots all over my face, and be costly, since insurance would not cover.  He seemed unwiling to do this, and he discouraged me from proceeding this way, saying, the milia was not really that obvious -- only to me.  He also would not prescribe any type of product which he said would be too harsh on my skin.  His words were "leave them alone."  

I know some here said they did their own "surgery" using a sterilized needle and I was apprehensive to do this.  However --- I recently decided to experiment and try this on one of the larger ones!  Mind you --- I am not encouraging anyone to do this, but --- just stating that I got disgusted and thought --- well --- I'll just try one and hopefully, it will go alright and if it doesn't come out, it will be red for awhile and then just heal up!  So, I worked on one and the milia came out surprisingly easy!  It took a couple weeks for it to totally disappear and now you can't even tell where it was!  So, I was encouraged!  Since then, I have "operated" on 6 more and have had pretty much the same results!  Not saying this is the best way to go but it's my plan for now!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   I'm glad you are pleased with what you are doing and getting results but...it only takes one severe infection to know this is not a good thing to do.  I tried that myself and it was all fine until it wasn't!  I ended up with a painful leaking  and swollen mess that took 3 weeks to finally heal after a few doctor visits, antibiotics and salves. 

I have had great results using glycolic products.  After using for only 2 weeks my skin was really smooth and most milia gone.  

Respected Contributor

I was told that IF I was going to attempt to fix them myself to

1. treat the area with a retinol or glycolic acid for at least a week to help dissolve the outer shell
  2. Only use a sterile lancet to nick the shin to pop the milia out.
  3. Apply a triple antibiotic cream after to discourage infection.  NOT rubbing alcohol.
Honored Contributor

Re: Milia - What I'm doing

[ Edited ]

Disinfect the area with 70% alcohol and let dry completely (no fanning) before puncturing. Use a cotton swab to disinfect small areas.

ETA - Ethanol is better to use on the skin than is isopropanol (found in most rubbing alcohols). 

I use Everclear 151 grain alcohol (75% ethanol) to disinfect my skin before microneedling.

ETA - Using any type of alcohol on the skin is not good for the skin but if you have to choose which one is the lesser of the two evils then choose the ethanol kind.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have posted a couple of times concerning issues with milia.  The last time I wrote I had gone to my derm. for various issues and he said the only way for me to get rid of them was by him using a lancet which would end up being expensive and leave red spots all over my face, and be costly, since insurance would not cover.  He seemed unwiling to do this, and he discouraged me from proceeding this way, saying, the milia was not really that obvious -- only to me.  He also would not prescribe any type of product which he said would be too harsh on my skin.  His words were "leave them alone."  

I know some here said they did their own "surgery" using a sterilized needle and I was apprehensive to do this.  However --- I recently decided to experiment and try this on one of the larger ones!  Mind you --- I am not encouraging anyone to do this, but --- just stating that I got disgusted and thought --- well --- I'll just try one and hopefully, it will go alright and if it doesn't come out, it will be red for awhile and then just heal up!  So, I worked on one and the milia came out surprisingly easy!  It took a couple weeks for it to totally disappear and now you can't even tell where it was!  So, I was encouraged!  Since then, I have "operated" on 6 more and have had pretty much the same results!  Not saying this is the best way to go but it's my plan for now!  

Our derm recommended doing this carefully with a sterilized needle.  I have only had a couple and successfully removed them.....easy peezy.  My DH on the other hand has no patience to do it nor to let me do it....LOL.  However, I mentioned on your other thread that I got DH started on Dr. Nasif's pads and guess what?  Quite a few are gone and the others seem to be drawing down.....shrinking?  

Happy you are taking things into your own hands and that it is working out for you.  I could tell it was really bothering you and now you have a plan of action.  Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

I would try using Paula's Choice 2% BHA.  I had a milia on my cheek and after using this product (you have to be patient) it came to the surface and I was able to get it out.  BHA is great for the pores on my nose and chin also.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations!  So happy to hear it's working for you.  

It will be interesting to see what your Dematologist says about your results.  

Valued Contributor

I would love to get rid of mine, but I'm afraid to do it myself.  I feel like I've tried everything, and nothing has worked. They're all under my eyes.  It would probably cost a fortune if I could find someone to do it.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure my idea isn't one you've already considered......but my experienced (might) help

Couple years back I purchased Peter Thomas Roth's Retinol.  Immediately

I noticed Milia popping out all over my face.  Forehead - then side of nose - cheeks -

had no clue why...never had it before.  I stopped the Retinol - short time all disappeared and has never come back.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Milia - What I'm doing

[ Edited ]

I've been using a glycolic acid toner for a month and that seems to help keep my milia away. It's not recommended to use toners under the eyes but I do apply it there very carefully. No problems with that at all. The under-eye area is where I seem to get milia the most and sometimes I get them on my lower cheeks, too. But those have gone away also. I had to extract one or two of the milia but after that they are gone for the most part, thanks to the glycolic toner.