Honored Contributor

I am starting to think, are you crazy, why are you buying higher end skincare products when there are reasonably priced drugstore products I could buy? I bought in to the Skinn line, since Dimitri moved to HSN I haven't watched or bought anything, I have soured on his line. I am going to use up what I have ( which is a lot), then I'll shop CVS or Target for what I need.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mid Range Beauty Products

If anyone can find cheaper drugstore brands they like and work for them why complain about any retailer carrying higher end more expensive products?   Except for mascara and lip products no drugstore brands work for my skin so I don't even look there anymore.

Trusted Contributor

It's funny because all my DS brands don't break me out, while my high end products do.

Cover Girl and Revlon are my go to's.

IT, Benefit, Lancôme, etc...zits galore.

Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I am starting to think, are you crazy, why are you buying higher end skincare products when there are reasonably priced drugstore products I could buy? I bought in to the Skinn line, since Dimitri moved to HSN I haven't watched or bought anything, I have soured on his line. I am going to use up what I have ( which is a lot), then I'll shop CVS or Target for what I need.

@Jordan2   Some women choose higher end skincare for different reasons. Personally, I settled somewhere in the middle. My Skinceuticals products have medical grade ingredients, sold at derm offices and much less expensive than many lines on Q, HSN or dept. stores. It has suited my skin’s needs and I’ve stayed with it for many years.

On the drugstore end, I still use Neutrogena Hydaboost Gel SPF. I use so much every day, a higher end product would be too expensive. I also use drugstore mascaras, eye makeup remover pads, lip balms & other items.

If lower priced skincare works for you, there is no stigma attached to purchasing it. There’s no contest how much you can spend on skincare or makeup, no matter what you read here.

Please don’t feel intimidated or pressured to purchase expensive lines.

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

It's funny because all my DS brands don't break me out, while my high end products do.

Cover Girl and Revlon are my go to's.

IT, Benefit, Lancôme, etc...zits galore.

Go figure.

@Chicagosuburbangirl   Any products, drugstore or high end, that contain silicone or a lot of fragrance angers my skin. Unexpectedly stayed overnight at my Mom’s who used all Lancôme. I used her cleanser and moisturizer and woke up with red blotches. Fragrance in skincare (& makeup) is a come on for some, but I run the other way. Dept. store brands are the worst offenders. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2 

Rather than limiting yourself to Target or CVS, I recommend you consider mid-range skincare lines at your local co-ops, natural food stores or even Whole Foods.

They carry many good lines--Dr. Hauschka and Evan Healy being among my favorites. They typically have testers of every product sold, so you at least know what a product smells/feels like and they often have samples.

Recently Whole Foods had one of the lines I use for 40% off. The clerk assisting me told me how much she loved the product I was purchasing then asked if I was an Amazon Prime member, because apparently the sale was limited to members. I am not a Prime member, but she said she was giving me the sale price in hopes it would entice me to become a member. Wink, wink. 😉😉

And just the week before I had really stocked up because my natural foods grocer had ALL skincare/cosmetics for 33% off.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  Thank you for the silicone information, I had no idea and will now be on the lookout.

Honored Contributor

Well...If you pay a lot less for your skincare, you know for sure that you won't be receiving any expensive ingredients--in tested, effective amounts. Some expensive ingredients are really cool and you are missing out.

Mass market drugstore brands don't use them because they don't have to. They know you will just buy based on brand name and advertisements and ready availability.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

It's like saying why am I driving this top of the line BMW when I could just get a used Kia. There are valid reasons for either choice.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Well...If you pay a lot less for your skincare, you know for sure that you won't be receiving any expensive ingredients--in tested, effective amounts. Some expensive ingredients are really cool and you are missing out.

Mass market drugstore brands don't use them because they don't have to. They know you will just buy based on brand name and advertisements and ready availability.

@Porcelain   IMO, that’s sometimes not true. Lancôme & L’Oreal are same company, same research. Lancôme adds fancy packaging, dept. store sales’ associates, $ for shelf placement, etc. If ingredient deck’s checked, many are the same, but in a different %.