Honored Contributor

Re: Mid Range Beauty Products

@Porcelain wrote:

It's like saying why am I driving this top of the line BMW when I could just get a used Kia. There are valid reasons for either choice.

@Porcelain   Across the board, clothing, housing, skincare, etc., people purchase what’s affordable for them. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 

I agree with you.  Years ago, when my children were little, I didn't work and we were on a tight budget, I used Avon products.  Little did I know at the time how good those products really are.

In my opinion, there is no "high end" product that you can buy that you can't find equal or better from Avon.  Recently, my oldest daughter has started selling Avon.  I've gotten hooked again on all the lovely skin care products they offer. Their serums are awesome and do what they say. Especially the one that evens out your skintone. It's wonderful so far for lightening  my brown age spots.   I'll be using Avon from now on.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Well...If you pay a lot less for your skincare, you know for sure that you won't be receiving any expensive ingredients--in tested, effective amounts. Some expensive ingredients are really cool and you are missing out.

Mass market drugstore brands don't use them because they don't have to. They know you will just buy based on brand name and advertisements and ready availability.

@Porcelain   IMO, that’s sometimes not true. Lancôme & L’Oreal are same company, same research. Lancôme adds fancy packaging, dept. store sales’ associates, $ for shelf placement, etc. If ingredient deck’s checked, many are the same, but in a different %. 

@Shanus You're right. But IMO, it only works one way. If you pay only a little you will get cheap ingredients. If you pay a lot, you may or may not get expensive ingredients.

Neither Lancome nor L'Oreal are favorites of mine. Again, IMO, they both use cheap ingredients and utilize the infamous "fairy dust" method where they include .01% of an ingredient that is only proven effective at 3% and then market the product after it as if enough is in there to do anything. And both brands use crazy amounts of denatured alcohol in products geared for mature, dehydrated skin. I could go on and on about it and already have...so, enough from me on the topic. Woman Wink

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Some things have to be specially packaged in certain types of containers so that the ingredients remain effective. The packaging will drive cost in that instance. So for me it's important to know the ingredients and look at their containers. For example, I would never buy a retinol product that came in a wide-mouth jar or a vitamin C serum that came in a clear bottle. Certain products will cost more just because of their packaging. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Some things have to be specially packaged in certain types of containers so that the ingredients remain effective. The packaging will drive cost in that instance. So for me it's important to know the ingredients and look at their containers. For example, I would never buy a retinol product that came in a wide-mouth jar or a vitamin C serum that came in a clear bottle. Certain products will cost more just because of their packaging. 

@SilleeMee   So very true. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2-- I'm with you 100% !!!

Since I switched to the less expensive brands a few years ago, my complexion looks healthier and more youthful.  I know some believe that the more expensive the product, the better it works.  I'm glad we have choices and we all can find what works best for us, no matter the price or where we buy it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I have found the combination that works great for me and my face has never looked better Smiley Happy  I cleanse with Dove bar soap then apply Neutrogena HydroBoost Water Gel (also use this on my hands and arms by it's self or under lotion).  Next is Rosehip Seed Oil followed by Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Moisturizer Night (silver bottle).  I've just added Clinique All About Eyes Rich.  Only 2 days so I don't know how well it will work.  Couldn't be more pleased and doesn't break my bank account Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have no real brand loyalty and look for the best products in any brand, so my skincare, haircare, and makeup all go from drugstore to high end.

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser is my favorite drugstore product.

Lately I'm having real success with serums from The Ordinary and the most expensive product I've bought from them is under $15. Their Lactic Acid 10% + HA is under $7 and I love it. But I also love my Elemis moisturizers. My conditioner is $15 for a liter and I usually get it on a BOGO sale, but my hair gel is $75 a liter, so I only buy it when it's 20% off.

Save where you can, splurge where you can.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   No 7 has wonderful skin products; however, they recently discontinued my Beautiful Skin moisturizer w/spf.  I checked 2 websites and the product is no longer visible.  Now I purchased Lumene Day Cream w/spf and also their CC cream $19.99.  The day cream also gives a radiant look to the skin which I have never experience in a moisturizer.  It's quite nice.  The CC cream is awesome as it gives medium coverage and has spf for $14.99.  i purchased from Target.  Lumene is a Finnish cosmetic skincare/makeup co.  I believe only the skincare is available in the U.S. but I may be wrong.  When it comes to CC or BB creams, as long as I get a really nice finish on my skin that is my main concern plus the spf.

kindness is strength