Honored Contributor

Microneedlers - Please Tell Me All About It

[ Edited ]

I never paid too much attention to this kind of skin care treatment but am interested in learning more about it and maybe giving it a try.  How do I start?  What size roller should I use?  When do I graduate to another size?  How often do I use the roller?  Is my face going to bleed?  How do I clean the roller?  What kind of results can I expect?  How soon can I expect them?  Does this eliminate some other process in my skin care such as masking or exfoliation?  Please tell me everything you can think of.  TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Microneedlers - Please Tell Me All About It

[ Edited ]

I am going to apologize up front first for this post being so dang long.Woman Very Happy Seriously...it could be longer, no kidding.

Before you do anything, please read a book about it and maybe make an appointment to have a session done professionally. You might want to ask a professional some of your questions when you go. I started that way and learned some techniques to rolling.  The book I recommend is:

Holistic Microneedling: The Manual of Natural Skin Needling
Book by Anthony Kingston

This book will answer many of your questions and is easy to understand. It covers everything from start to finish and is not only for the beginner but also for advanced needlers. 

Briefly...the goals of needling basically fall into three categories (for all intents & purposes here):

1. Surface exfoliation to achieve enhanced product absorption
2. Collagen induction for wrinkle reduction, increase skin firmness, pore size reduction
3. Scar reduction to promote smooth skin and reduce scars from acne or other trauma

I have listed those in order of short to long needles respectively as they require different sizes for each goal.

I don't want to get too carried away here about technicalities, but I encourage you to read a book first and foremost. Also, you may find some info at whitelotusantiaging dot com where there are some products to look at and brief discussions about how they will work for you. The website is Anthony Kingston's store but you can find his products elsewhere. The book is available on amazon along with a few of his skincare products.

Finally, please don't proceed doing this by following what is said on the internet. Microneedling is much too much of a serious procedure and can cause damage if not done properly. I am lecturing about this because I am passionate about it and I don't want to give the wrong impression that it is something to be taken lightly. Needling  is not for everyone and it should be discussed with your doctor if you have any doubt about it's safety and potential dangers.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

In the Community search box above type in: derma-rollers, derma-rolling, micro-needling. There a lots of threads on this subject. I would bump up several threads, but some don't like his being done. Hope this helps. ❤️
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I never paid too much attention to this kind of skin care treatment but am interested in learning more about it and maybe giving it a try.  How do I start?  What size roller should I use?  When do I graduate to another size?  How often do I use the roller?  Is my face going to bleed?  How do I clean the roller?  What kind of results can I expect?  How soon can I expect them?  Does this eliminate some other process in my skin care such as masking or exfoliation?  Please tell me everything you can think of.  TIA

I'll try to answer some of your questions @JeanLouiseFinchWoman Happy.

Roller size depends on your goal. Exfoliation 0.25mm, wrinkle reduction (collagen induction 0.5mm and for scar reduction 1.0mm (to be used strictly on the scarred areas when possible).

There is no graduation to the next size. You start with one size and do it that way for the duration.

Bleeding may occur when using the longer needles, 0.5mm and longer. This is normal but not normal if the bleeding is excessive. Also, bleeding can occur if you are using a dull roller. You do not ever want to use a dull roller.

Clean your roller b&a each use by placing it in a container large enough to immerse the roller into 95% alcohol (needle prep kind sold in drugstores) for no less than 10 minutes and no longer than 30 minutes because the alcohol can damage some rollers. Store dried needles away from the bathroom and inside a closed , protective container, like a Tupperware thing.

Results (reduction in fine lines, wrinkles and increased firmness) are noticeably visible after about a month. But this can vary depending on the frequency of rolling and how well your skin recovers from it. Too much rolling is not a good thing. Collagen needs break times in order for it to complete the formation of it. If you disturb the process, you may damage the skin, and can be irreparable. 

Shortly after you are finished rolling then apply only a moisturizer which does not contain any actives and one that you know what the ingredients are. This will help minimize irritation. Remember that after you roll there are holes in your skin and these holes can stay open for up to 72 hours but on the average between 24 and 48, during which you should only clean and moisturize. NO actives, no makeup or sunscreen should be applied during this critical period post-roll. Give it at least until the next day, 24 hours or so, to resume your normal skincare regime.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That last paragraph applies to the longer 0.5 and 1.0 mm needles and doesn't apply to the shorter 0.25mm needles which are exfoliating types and what you do after using the 0.25 rollers is what you normally do after exfoliating.

Honored Contributor

Also be 100% perfect and scrupulous about sanitizing and disinfecting your equipment. Keep anything not perfectly clean away from your face after rolling and use a freshly laundered pillowcase to sleep on that night. We're talking about licensed tattoo parlor/hospital disinfection standards.

You are opening a zillion little channels for bacteria to invade your skin. Not making any negative assumptions about anyone, just reiterating that it's only for those who take the practice seriously each and every time.

It's also not for those with sensitive skin or rosacea--for obvious reasons. And know that the firmness you will see for the first day or two is due to swelling, not collagen.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr