Respected Contributor

Microdermabrasion - Thoughts? Is it really that great?

How important is this in a good skin care regimen? Do you do it/have it done regularly? Is it really essential? If so, do you do it at home or go to a medspa? Would really like to hear some thoughts on this. TIA

Regular Contributor

Re: Microdermabrasion - Thoughts? Is it really that great?

I have the PMD microderm tool. I probably don't use as much as many...maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks (I have sensitive skin and I fear that any more than that would be detrimental). I like it. It helps keep my skin clear and smooth. I've never done it at a spa or derm office. Dont think I need to as that tool is pretty darn strong as is.

Super Contributor

This is a quote from Paula's Choice website relating to fading skin discolorations:

"Microdermabrasion also is an option, but has much greater risks of damage to skin than laser treatments or higher-strength AHA or BHA peels, and the results aren't as impressive."

I considered it but decided my needs could be met with skin care as opposed to spending $$$ for a procedure, which I believe has to be ongoing. I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish, the nature of your skin, and how deep your pockets are. Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your situation (oily skin & large pores), but this is also from PC:

"Consider cosmetic corrective procedures. For all skin types, AHA or BHA peels, microdermabrasion, and laser resurfacing can improve the appearance of blackheads and whiteheads. However, these procedures don't necessarily improve pore functioning; rather, they temporarily get rid of the surface problem, which does make your skin look better. For best results, an in-office cosmetic procedure must be accompanied by an effective at-home skin-care routine."

I'm actually just wondering if I'm only telling you what you already know, BellaCarro. I've learned a great deal from you on the boards. I consider you the "teacher & mentor" that I would send the OP to. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Frequent Contributor

I used the PMD for a bit, but then I noticed some broken capillaries on my chin. I don't know that the PMD caused it, but I didn't want to chance it. So, I stopped using it.
Honored Contributor

If someone has a lot of facial scarring, it might help resurfacing happen faster. But for people who have a good skincare routine that includes a good amount of regular exfoliation (physical and chemical), I don't think it's really necessary.

Valued Contributor

I use my PMD a few times a week (red tips) and just started derma rolling. Microdermabrasion makes a huge difference when you do it regularly. My PMD is just as good as any professional microdermabrasion I have had.

Respected Contributor

All the microdermabrasion creams I tried were too harsh. Very mild daily exfoliation and a weekly exfoliating mask works best for me. As I get older I have to be more gentle with my skin.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Bella, I am mixed about it. I have tried 3 microdermabrasion gadgets, all of which Kelly West was selling. (It seems every other year she starts promoting a new microdermabrasion gadget, but that is another discussion.) Whenever I see presentations on the micro-dermabrasion gadgets, I never hear any clinical studies or statistics.

MicrodermMD was the best fit for me. It has the same kind of tip as professional in-office machines.

At first, I really stuck with times a week for over a month. My skin got smoother immediately. I can't say I saw any differences in wrinkles and only a little on age spots and discoloration. I do not have experience with it's effects with scaring.

I backed down to once or twice a week because it interfered with my serum/lotion treatment regime. Now, I rarely use it unless I feel I need some smoothing.

For wrinkles, brightening, discoloration, my skin has better results with PTR peel pads, Retin A, Vit C, Obagi Clear, and LightStim.

My opinion is that if you looking for smoother skin, and/or don't want to use serums and peels, the microdermabrasion is a good tool. However, if you are looking for wrinkle and discoloration help, I think there are other options available.

Trusted Contributor

I did micro dermabrasion about 6 years ago but decided didnt want to spend that type of money . I decided by buying a few of the at home ones that would suffice. Well i have a friend who is in beauty school and needs to get ""hours "" to become licensed. so the school offers it very cheap-$12 a time.. so i decided to help her out.. well the clinical microderm blows away any at home version.