Valued Contributor

Micro-needling, after a month are you seeing any results?

It's been about that long for me. I do it around three times a week. The only thing I've noticed is my complexion seems to have a better color. No other improvements but I know 30 days isn't a lot of time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Micro-needling, after a month are you seeing any results?

[ Edited ]

@Nadine 

What size needles are you using? What are you expecting to see from microneedling?

Valued Contributor

I started with tharkit that the q had last month. I am wanting around the mouth lines to improve and maybe some lifting

Honored Contributor

@Nadine 

That kit you got from the Q, the Beauty Bioscience rollers, will not do much in the way of reducing fine lines or wrinkles nor will they lift the skin. Those rollers are designed to exfoliate the skin so that your skin care products absorb better. That is all those rollers can do. The needles on those rollers are too short to make the skin produce wrinkle and line reducing collagen. You'll need to use different rollers, not the Bioscience rollers. I know from years of rolling experience that you can't expect wrinkles to get reduced by using short needles. 

Honored Contributor

I've used mine 3 times a week now since I received it and what I did notice was that the one dark spot on my forehead is nearly gone now, my skin is smoother and the forehead lines are definitely not as deep.  There is nothing else I have done differently since I got that so it has to be from the micro-needling.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Didn't know that. Need to decide if the Bio-Science are worth keeping. If exfoilation is the main benefit I can get that in other ways.

Respected Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

Didn't know that. Need to decide if the Bio-Science are worth keeping. If exfoilation is the main benefit I can get that in other ways.

@Nadine 

Cosmetic needling provides more benefits than just exfoliation. 

According to the book The Concise Guide to Dermal Needling , Third Medical Edition, written by Dr Lance Setterfield, M.D. "Cosmetic needling (rolling) at home... not only maximizes absorption of active ingredients, but stimulates release of growth factors, the essential encrypted messaging system, from keratinocytes, for optimum skin health and appearance".

He also writes" For most patients, especially those with sensitive skin, it is prudent to start slowly and build up to seven days a week by gradually increasing the number and duration or weekly treatments. For example: roll 2 minutes for the first week x 2 treatments; 3 minutes x 3 for the next week and so on."

He recommends gradually building up to 5-10 minutes a day followed by the application of nutrient products.

If you are only rolling for 15 seconds per area as the GloPro recommends, imho, you probably won't see the results you want. I roll 5 or 6 times a week for at least 5 minutes. He also recommends spending 1/10 of the time on your neck and chest.

I wasn't comfortable guessing on how to roll so I decided to purchase this book from Amazon... I feel it's worth the investment to know exactly what to do. I also purchased a book on holistic needling but Dr Setterfields book has so much more information. It also addresses Clinical (medical) needling.

So far I'm pleased with the GloPro and feel my face is smoother, firmer and my pores are smaller. 

Quarrels end, but words once spoken never die... African Proverb
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been needling for about six years. The results you get from needling largely depends on the length of the needles used. The skin on the face is not all the same thickness so I use different sizes depending on where I use them. Also, when collagen is stimulated from needling then it is very important to not disturb the formation and stabilization of that collagen by needling too soon and too frequently. Damage to the skin can happen if needling is done too frequently with needles that are 0.5mm or longer. The skin may start to show textural issues in the form of indentations which mean there is collagen disappearing within the skin. Another sign of over-needling can show up as hyperpigmentation. The shorter, exfoliating needles (less than 0.5mm) are fine to use daily but only if your skin can tolerate it. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. After reading through this thread. I've decided to keep and continue to use two or three times a week.

Super Contributor

@Nadine  I have used a 0.5 needle 8 x once a week and the 1.0 2 x once a month and am just now seeing my pores get smaller but other than that no firming really....Gin Amber told me to go to the .75 every 2 weeks and the 1.0 once a month so thats what i am starting now....She said for older damaged skin it can take a yr of diligence till you see good results so i will hang in there and see.