Trusted Contributor

I've been seeing this more and more recently when I've been shopping.  What exactly is it?  Anyone use it?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Trusted Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

I've been seeing this more and more recently when I've been shopping.  What exactly is it?  Anyone use it?

I use it for taking makeup off as a pre-cleanse then go I with a nice cleanser to finish and then do your skincare routine.

Honored Contributor

This is what the cosmetics companies are currently calling mild, watery cleansers that produce low to no foam.

However. all cleansers have micelles in them. Even ones with sufates and such in them. Micelles are what make cleansers work. These "micellar waters" are just generally very gentle cleansers. Some find they don't cleanse well enough, others like them. It's best to use the gentlest, mildest, weakest, most moisturizing cleanser that still does the job in getting your face clean.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

What is it?  Micellar water is water that has little micro mini particles of cleansing oil mixed in it.  It feels like water on your skin, not oily at all.  I first heard about micellar water probably a couple of years ago.  I made a mental note that I'd like to try it sometime but never made it a priority.  Since then more brand options have become available.  One day I happened to accidently find a bottle by the Simple company when I was at the supermarket and put it in my cart.  I've been content using a facial cleansing wipe for my pre-cleanse, makeup removing step, for my PM routine, but tried tried micellar water and found I really like it.  I also like it for wiping my face in the morning before leaving for the health club and then I do a full AM routine when I get back home.  

Trusted Contributor

In addition to using micellar water as a pre cleanse, I use it to remove eye makeup (not waterproof) because eye makeup remover makes my eye area burn.

Respected Contributor

Re: Micellar water?

[ Edited ]

I am using several different ones for night cleansing only.  I needed something mild because my skin doesn't tolerate the usual twice a day cleansing. 

For a long time, I had been only washing my face in the morning (I do not wear makeup) but I wanted to use some nighttime treatments, so I needed to start cleaning my skin at night too.

So far, the MIcellar waters are working.  They are so gentle.

Not sure which one I like the best yet, but they are doing what I need - cleaning my skin without irritation.

Honored Contributor

IMO, this cleansing water is not efficient as a makeup remover and I still have to use another cleanser afterwards. I never purchased it after trying the sample size.

Honored Contributor

Re: Micellar water?

[ Edited ]

For me I'd rather just use a damp microfiber cloth to remove most of my makeup, followed by thorough cleansing using an actual cleanser. 

Honored Contributor
I bought a name brand of this and it made my neck and face itch....I threw it away.
Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

I bought the Garnier Micellar Water for all skin types (pink lid) and I use it to remove facial makeup. It takes more effort to remove eye makeup with it IMO.

I finished that one and had received a full sized Lancome bottle of micellar water (this one has a removable clear top and is a pump style bottle (which I like very much).

Comparing the two cleansers, I think the Lancome does a better job at removing most of the facial makeup as compared to the Garnier version (cheaper of course and coupons available from time to time in Sunday circulars). I find less makeup on the cotton balls when using the toner as the final removal liquid.

Once the Lancome is finished I will transfer the contents of the Garnier bottle (I bought two of them) into that pump dispenser.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼