Respected Contributor

Re: Micellar Cleansing water, anyone here use it?

I use the Simple Brand. I agree that Garnier can be too heavily scented.

I have extremely dry skin and love that this does not make it drier! It cleans but does not strip. I like the wipes too.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

I've been using Bioderma for years and am very happy with it. I use it to remove any eye makeup residue after regular cleansing.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess I'm the odd one out but I don't like this at all.  I don't really "get" this and could never use it as a cleanser/make-up remover as part of my nighttime routine.

I have the Simple Micellar Water because I got it free with the purchase of another cleanser.  None of the make-up that I use is waterproof, heavy duty. considered long wear, etc.

I felt like I had to use a ton of this product to get my face totally clean.  It only did an average job removing my eye make-up.  I was using it on those cotton rounds and I don't know how many I went through along with the "water" to remove my face make-up.   And even after that, when I used toner, my cottonball had make-up on it.

IMO it was much easier and quicker for me to use my regular cleanser and that does a much better job.  I just never felt like my face was 100% clean with this stuff. 

I thought it might be a nice alternative when I was super tired at night and didn't want to mess with full on cleansing.  I feel about this product like I feel about facial cleansing wipes.  It's okay for a once in a while use but it's not something that would be my daily cleanser.  It wouldn't even be my weekly cleanser.  I cannot imagine that a bottle of this would last long either given how much I had to use to remove my make-up.

Trusted Contributor

I started using the Simple micellar water shortly after it came out.  Last time I went to restock, both the Simple and the Garnier were on an end cap in the store, and I noticed that you get quite a bit more of the Garnier for the same price (I don't have the bottles with me, so I can't give exact quantities).

I tried the Garnier (for waterproof makeup) version, and though at first I felt it was a little oily, I've found it does a better job of taking off makeup than the Simple does.  When it's dry, there's no oily residue (but I usually wash with my regular cleanser immediately afterward).  And I haven't detected any bothersome odor with the Garnier.

I use two cotton pads (rather than balls), front and back, to remove my makeup.

Most of the time I use Almay oil-free eye makeup remover pads to take off my eye makeup, but the Garnier works for that, too.

Trusted Contributor

I am using either Garnier or Simple as my first cleanse to take most of my makeup off.  I usually go over it a couple of times and then using a cleansing balm to finish.  I really like doing the double cleanse routine. Caroline Hirons has some really good tips for cleansing on youtube.  I have learned a lot from her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

lol @Irshgrl31201is "scuzz" a technical term, lol? That was funny. Anyway, I tried a micelluar water cleanser a few years back (it was a deluxe sample, some French brand) and it was just okay for me. I do like you usually do- only use water and a cloth (I use a muslin cloth) for my morning "cleanse" and have for a few years now and this is working really well for me. I didn't really find the micelluar water was great for taking of my makeup (I use very little makeup usually and don't tend to use waterproof makeup except liner) but it is a nice idea to use in the AM just to give just a light cleanse.

I studied a few of the cruelty free brands that carry micellular water last night but didn't like the ingredients in any of the ones I saw. Since SImple is owned by Unilever and Garnier is owned by L'oreal- both companies that test on animals-I can't use theirs. So I my consider trying it as my first morning cleanse on occasion (like if I got sweaty at night while sleeping)  if there is ever a cruelty free brand that has good ingredients in it.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Esteemed Contributor

What kind of water do you use for your morning cleanse, @HappyDaze

Does the water only with muslin cloth take care of the remnants of the facial care products from the night before?

What do you think this morning cleansing method actually does for your skin?

It's a very interesting concept, and I certainly like to try it too, as soon as I would understand the benefits. TIA!

Honored Contributor

Simple brand leaves an offensive smell on my wash cloth.

To be honest the Simple was the only one available at Walgreens! I had tried the Bioderma samples that seemed okay and thought I'd purchase a full size of the stuff..

Honored Contributor

I tried Simple micellar water and it was just okay.  Then I got La Roche-Posay and it's better but not worth the money.

I tried the Simple wipes and my sensitive skin had a bad reaction to them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

This looks to be very chemical laden.... I would not put this on MY skin.

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water

What about this?

Chemicals in a Blueberry.jpg

That's the chemical makeup of a blueberry. (Source)

General statements like "that looks to be chemical laden"  are totally meaningless.

EVERYTHING is made up of chemicals, including fresh fruits, vegetables, and people, which are carbon-based lifeforms. Just because you don't know what those chemicals are does not mean they are harmful.