Esteemed Contributor

Can anyone relate to this?

My hair looks better messed up than when it's combed and fixed all neat and in place. I don't use any styling aids, whether combed or not. Length is just above shoulders in long layers. It's shiny and not frizzy.

I've been fixing my hair by using hot rollers, and then finger-combing it out. Now I'm wondering if I even have to do that!

Respected Contributor

Re: Messy Hair?

[ Edited ]

I use a heated curling brush and then finger comb my hair.  I have short hair and I do prefer the messy look rather than a brushed out smooth look.  By messy, I don't mean bed head messy!

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning, Harpa!   Yup, I have and love messy hair.  Mine is short, like almost a pixie, but with lots of body.  After washing, I just apply mousse and finger fluff it.  However my hair falls is my hairdo for the day.   I own a comb and brush but never use them.

Makes me cringe to remember all those years I used rollers, curling irons, etc. and took an hour every morning to style my hair.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Harpa  I always get large rod perms so I don't have to use damaging styling products daily adn waste time styling my hair that won't last all day.  I can just put a few rollers on the top on my bangs, scrunch it with Isomers Beach Wave Texturizing Spray,  do my makeup while my hair dries and then take the rollers out and my hair is dry and I just fluff it out with my fingers and maybe a little feathering for volume and add a little hairspray.  Done and it lasts all day with no touchups even on windy days.  

Respected Contributor

I believe if you have a good haircut and trim regularly one should not have to spend a lot of time on styling hair. I have a bob which I  just wash and go or if I want to blow and style can do that also. I find I really do not need a lot of products to style. I get my hair trimmed every month, but it does grow quickly. The shape is there and easy to get trimmed. 

Respected Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

Can anyone relate to this?

My hair looks better messed up than when it's combed and fixed all neat and in place. I don't use any styling aids, whether combed or not. Length is just above shoulders in long layers. It's shiny and not frizzy.

I've been fixing my hair by using hot rollers, and then finger-combing it out. Now I'm wondering if I even have to do that!

I do the same thing with either hot rollers or the perfector.  Totally relatable!

Honored Contributor

Mine is down to my waist and I still use hot rollers on it.  Just pull them out and run my fingers through and fluff.  Curling iron and small brush through the bangs and still have a modified smaller version of our Texas Big Hair look.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I have used a heated curling brush for years. My hair is curly but the brush takes it from very curly to wavy, which I love. I don't ever comb or brush my hair. My hair has been as long as waist length to shoulder length, and I always have done the same thng.

Super Contributor

@Harpa You keep doing your hair the way you like it! 

Respected Contributor

I have naturally wavy/curly hair that needs a little help to NOT look like bedhead! That said, I've been, not straightening, but more smoothing it for years with different things. I'm trying now not to fight the wave so much, and let it be more "tousled", with just a little "guidance" from me and the Calista Perfector that was a recent TSV---along with a more layered bob cut. I'm really liking the slightly messy look, and it's saving me about 15 minutes a day!