Respected Contributor

Has menopause changed your nails? I always had beautiful nails but since going through menopause my nails don't grow well and constantly break (but my hair grows fast and my toenails grow fast.) I haven't had nice nails in years. I eat a very healty diet no junk or sugars at all and still have louzy nails. Anyone have the same experience? I have also tried  many products to hard or strenghten nails and nothing works. Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama  I am well past menopause and NOT a doctor.  The same things happened to me.  My doctor checked my bones and found out that I had osteopenia.  If I recall, that means that your body isn't getting enough calcium so it starts taking it from other parts of your body.  She had me take extra Ca with vit.D (over the counter, national brand) and checked my bone density every year for a while.  Things are pretty stable now and my nails are pretty strong now.  Hopefully, my skeleton is staying strong as well. 

You should see your doctor before you do or take anything.  I am on higher dosages than the bottle says but I am also monitored by her.  Don't wait too long before your body loses too much Ca. 

Honored Contributor

It's been awhile since I went through it, but my nails did change. Not all of them, but I get a line from the cuticle area to the top. They aren't as strong and sometimes the weakest side at the top can break easily. I've used strengthers, conditioners, etc. It just is what it is I guess.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Menopause and Nails?

[ Edited ]

My nailed used to be quite weak. I've been using Consult Beaute Hair Skin and Nails vitamin and have already noticed that my nails aren't breaking like they used to.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

I can relate.  I'm now 66, but since menopause everything has gotten thinner on me except my waistline (including hair, skin, nails).  I've been taking the Andrew Lessman Hair Skin and Nails supplement for a year or two, and I think it helps (at least my nails are growing fast).  Here's what else I've been doing that has helped my nails:

I do a self manicure every Saturday.  After removing the polish and filing them, I rub an oil based product into my bare nails (Carol's Daughter has a good product that comes in a small jar with sugar in it).  I rinse off as much excess as I can with very warm water (this also helps the oil get obsorbed into those dry nails).  I towel off any water or excess oil that might still be on my nails (they will still feel oily) before I apply a thick coat of Duri Rejuvacote on them as a base.

My current polish love is the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel color and top coat.  At the end of the week my nails look just as perfect and shiny as they did the first day.....no kidding.  And, the polish comes off just as easy as any other.  I've also tried the Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy, and it works just as well and is cheaper.  The vertical splits and peeling are practically non-existant now, and everyone assumes I have artificial nails!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Menopause can truly mess with all body functions. My nails were affected. Two years ago I found a very cheap product at Walmart. - Hard As Hoofs Cream. My nails are now so unbelievably strong. It is sold where the Sally Hansen products are. I have turned many people onto this cream. It truly works wonders. It is recommended to use 2-3x a day until they improve. Then once a day thereafter. Sometimes I don't even do once a day now.

Esteemed Contributor

I always had nice nails and actually did some hand modeling for a short time. Then this happened and my hands and nails were a wreck!  I was on a quest and tried just ablut everything.  I finally found these products: A.S.K. nail polish remover and conditioner, T.I.P.S. curticle oil, Perfect Formula gel coat in clear or pink gel and the protect or the protect and seal formula and Pro Strong nail polish for the color.

I know this looks like too many bottles and products for just nails but mine were a wreck! I have a lot of skin sensitivities so most things react for me. ASK is a conditioning polish remover and doesn't strip the nail of it's nutrients. I could see the difference after one use.TIPS is something that I never saw the use for until I started using it. It really does make a difference. The Pro Strong polish lasts and lasts and works well with the Perfect Formula.

Hope you have the same good luck as I did in getting my nails back in shape.

Esteemed Contributor

I personally have not noticed any difference. My nails have always been ridiculously thin (genetics) and...well, they still are.

Honored Contributor

At 63, my nails are still  long and strong, but you have to work on it, use the right nail products and a supplement or 2.

Respected Contributor

Yes, menopause can impact nails among other body parts.  At 70, I take Calcium +D and have excellent bone density scans.  However, the fine lines from cuticle to tip are still there.  I don't want to buff them out as that only makes the nail surface thinner.  TIPS does a nice job keeping them strong and the cuticles look as though I've had a manicure. ( I only get monthly pedicures because I can't bend and twist as I used to).  Other than a multi vitamin, no nail supplements.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill