Honored Contributor

Whatever or however a man chooses to dress doesn't faze me. And as far as I'm concerned, there is no strict definition of what it is to be a man just as there is no strict definition of what it is to be a woman.

I guess I'm new school.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

It's a choice, it doesn't make him less a man. Do you wear makeup, if you choose not to, does it make you less a woman ??

I don't understand why a woman would NOT wear makeup, but that's my own preference.  My daughter won't and she says that she just doesn't care.  But that is another story.

I find men in makeup or nail polish to be very UN-MASCULINE.  Doesn't mean I couldn't like them, work with them, have one as a friend.  But I cannot see myself ever considering an attraction to it.  It says "girl" to me.

In this month's issue of "In Style," they have a feature on women wearing makeup but trying to hide they are wearing makeup.  Pretty silly considering much of their advertisers are makeup companies!  If you are walking the runway or other modeling, a woman looks completely UNFINISHED without hair and makeup done.  Goofy!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know the man you're referring to, @hyacinth003, but I think it's kind of weird too.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Men in nail polish

[ Edited ]

I am sure there is a different reason for each, Penn Jillette, Ozzie Osborne, Steven Tyler

and the guy that was married to Shannon Moakler all wear polish.  I have wondered why but it does not bother me.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

It's a choice, it doesn't make him less a man. Do you wear makeup, if you choose not to, does it make you less a woman ??

I don't understand why a woman would NOT wear makeup, but that's my own preference.  My daughter won't and she says that she just doesn't care.  But that is another story.

I find men in makeup or nail polish to be very UN-MASCULINE.  Doesn't mean I couldn't like them, work with them, have one as a friend.  But I cannot see myself ever considering an attraction to it.  It says "girl" to me.

In this month's issue of "In Style," they have a feature on women wearing makeup but trying to hide they are wearing makeup.  Pretty silly considering much of their advertisers are makeup companies!  If you are walking the runway or other modeling, a woman looks completely UNFINISHED without hair and makeup done.  Goofy!

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003, you are skirting a fine line here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I was helping a boy of about 4 or 5 years old learn to skate. The blue polish on his tiny nails was chipping off. Wondered what that was about - maybe he and his sister were playing with it?

And I have often wondered the significance of the black painted nail or two that rock dudes have worn for years.

Trusted Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

I am sure there is a different reason for each, Penn Jillette, Ozzie Osborne, Steven Tyler

and the guy that was married to Shannon Moakler all wear polish.  I have wondered why but it does not bother me.

@LapdogI do know that Penn wears one red nail in memory of his Mother.

Valued Contributor

@SisterGoldenHair  Thank-you!  I looked around but did not find the reason.  What a great way to remind yourself of your mom all day long!

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Whatever or however a man chooses to dress doesn't faze me. And as far as I'm concerned, there is no strict definition of what it is to be a man just as there is no strict definition of what it is to be a woman.

I guess I'm new school.

@suzyQ3I agree 100%.

Trusted Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

@SisterGoldenHair  Thank-you!  I looked around but did not find the reason.  What a great way to remind yourself of your mom all day long!

@LapdogI heard him tell the story that his Mother told him that he needed a nice manicure. That people always look at your hands. For a joke, he had his nails painted red. So he keeps just the one painted.