Honored Contributor

Re: Men in nail polish

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

It's a choice, it doesn't make him less a man. Do you wear makeup, if you choose not to, does it make you less a woman ??

I don't understand why a woman would NOT wear makeup, but that's my own preference.  My daughter won't and she says that she just doesn't care.  But that is another story.

I find men in makeup or nail polish to be very UN-MASCULINE.  Doesn't mean I couldn't like them, work with them, have one as a friend.  But I cannot see myself ever considering an attraction to it.  It says "girl" to me.

In this month's issue of "In Style," they have a feature on women wearing makeup but trying to hide they are wearing makeup.  Pretty silly considering much of their advertisers are makeup companies!  If you are walking the runway or other modeling, a woman looks completely UNFINISHED without hair and makeup done.  Goofy!

Hyacinth

I really don't think all men want to appear masculine, some do, some don't. 

Make-up does not make a girl girly or unfinished if she chooses not to wear any.

Remember when only women had pierced ears?  Now it is acceptable for both genders as are tattoos.

it was once against the law for women to wear pants 

We are all free to be ourselves and can identify as any gender we choose.  Times.. they  are a changing.

Trusted Contributor

I'm glad now that we have the right to be whatever we want. There are times that I don't wear make-up and I sure don't want someone telling me "You are a women, why no make-up".

Or we could go back to the 50's and 60's....Not.

Regular Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Natasha218 wrote:

Please, I remember when Demitri sold make up on the old Shop At Home network and he wore white pancake make up.  The other day he was wearing a deep pink lip color.  He's unique.  He certainly isn't setting any trends for men.  Men who get professional manicures sometimes do get clear polish.  

I remember before that he was on HSN with the Parthena line, that was mid 90's.

I totally forgot about Parthena!  Dimitri has been around a time or two...lol  

Honored Contributor

I have no issues with a man wearing nail polish and have known many that have (mainly punk rock and new wave types) and they are some of the smartest, most interesting and delightful people I've known. Why should women get all the fun??

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003

Honestly, I'm fine with men wearing nail polish - and makeup, too. There is no reason they shouldn't. Why should women get all the fun?

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@lbwshop

My sons do yard work on the weekends and work on their cars to prevent paying mechanics as they are very good at the minor things required.  They have jobs where they cannot have greasy hands and dirty nails as they are all professionals and with the work they do, their hands are always on display so late Saturday afternoons, they get manicures and wear clear polish.  Now, they are not getting any tips or acrylics, nothing like that and one of them does have a split nail that is not growing back but they want their hands to be presentable to their customer base, which is the public.

This is very common practice among professional men. IMO, it is just taking good care of oneself. 

Trusted Contributor

To me it's a matter of our own perceptions/prejudices. Really, aren't makeup and nail polish both sort of weird ideas? Does wearing or not wearing them by itself actually define who a person is? Different people are going to be attacted to (or turned off by) different things (height, hair color and, yes, nail polish). But, at least to me, there are way more important things about a person to consider than nail polish in most situations. I do admit that it can be a bit frustrating when a guy has better eye makeup skills than most women.

Oh, and a single black painted fingernail is symbolic of support for child abuse victims.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie I remember when I started college even the student assistants were not allowed to wear pants. By the time I retired, even the assistant to the president wore jeans occaisionally. Nice, conservative jeans (no trendy rip, fading, etc). But jeans none the less. 

Honored Contributor

I agree @hyacinth003! I want a man to be a MAN. Leave the high maintenance beauty to women. Although my husband did just tell me he needs his back waxed and wants me to call my esthetician...HA!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Whatever or however a man chooses to dress doesn't faze me. And as far as I'm concerned, there is no strict definition of what it is to be a man just as there is no strict definition of what it is to be a woman.

I guess I'm new school.

lol!  My kids think I'm old school but since I think it's just fine for the guys to paint their nails...maybe I have a bit of new school in me?