Honored Contributor

Re: Melt Cosmetics "OK Boomer"

@magicmoodz wrote:

When these cutesy buzzwords have garnered the attention of the Supreme Court and could be a potential serious issue in the workplace, I sit up and pay attention.

Let's just agree we have differing opinions. @sidsmom 

"If the decision makers are sitting around the table and they say,

'we've got Candidate A who's 35' and 'we've got Candidate B

who's 55 and is a Boomer' -- and is probably tired and you know,

doesn't have a lot of computer skills, I think that absolutely

would be actionable."

Obviously one shouldn't be talking about age in the workplace.

Period.

Doesn't matter if you're 18 or 118...no age talk.

Just so you (and others reading) know this. 

But back to the original topic of a makeup brand using the term.

It's already an old, tired, outdated term.

New palettes will come out & it will be tossed in the dustbin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I can't believe the ire at what is merely a tag to get attention. No need to start a war between generations over it.

@suzyQ3   The war began quite awhile ago.

Yes, I'm aware that generations always are in some degree at war. So I amend my wording to "exacerbate" instead of "start."

I just find all very ridiculous, especially when some here tend to scorn those who they think are thin-skinned or are precious snowflakes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

This seems like just a joke to me, intended to generate controversy and press. I wouldn't take it too seriously. Remember, a lot of us keep saying how younger people are too sensitive about everything, so it's best not to feed into that by being overly sensitive as well.

The reason I think it's a joke is the verbiage. "When they are afraid of change, but you're cutting edge and rock a bold silver wing anyway." 

I mean come on. They're trolling. That's not serious. Rocking a bold silver wing is not cutting edge and has nothing to do with anyone else fearing change. Melt just wants to get attention for their products because they aren't all that popular.

I agree. Melt has popularity among influencers, not really the general public. I had no idea all these indie brands existed until I started watching beauty YouTubers. Indie brands are becoming favorites because they offer more unique products and themes, most are run by women or minorities, and almost all of them are cruelty free, which is important with younger makeup wearers. 

Makeup brands want to catch milennial and teen dollars so they market to them using the latest catchphrases and naming shades things that might not sit well with older people. It's not so much about insulting boomers as trying to be "relatable" to younger people. 

I'm waiting for when a brand releases an "OK Karen" pallette meant to mock us Gen-Xer's. 

The 'Karen' phrase has nothing to do with Gen-Xer's.

It's an attitude, not an age. 

The majority of the Karen posts are geared towards Gen-X women, from what I've seen, so yes, a lot of has to do with age IMO.
Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

This seems like just a joke to me, intended to generate controversy and press. I wouldn't take it too seriously. Remember, a lot of us keep saying how younger people are too sensitive about everything, so it's best not to feed into that by being overly sensitive as well.

The reason I think it's a joke is the verbiage. "When they are afraid of change, but you're cutting edge and rock a bold silver wing anyway." 

I mean come on. They're trolling. That's not serious. Rocking a bold silver wing is not cutting edge and has nothing to do with anyone else fearing change. Melt just wants to get attention for their products because they aren't all that popular.

Yeah it is obviously done to get a reaction from those who refer to millennials as "snowflakes" and mock them for being easily "triggered" (some phrases Boomers love to use). It's kind of interesting to see the tables turned reading these comments.

My thoughts, too @JJsMom .

Mocking millennials has been a boomer sport for a long, long time. They are finally slapping back. 

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

The 'Karen' phrase has nothing to do with Gen-Xer's. It's an attitude, not an age. 

The majority of the Karen posts are geared towards Gen-X women, from what I've seen, so yes, a lot of has to do with age IMO.

How can people on social media misread so many things?

'Karen' is a character name for the person who consistently 

complains about things...usually customer service. 
"I would like to speak to the manager'...

and social media even has a hairstyle for 'Karen.'

Has nothing to do with age.  
Urban Dictionary is your friend.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I can't believe the ire at what is merely a tag to get attention. No need to start a war between generations over it.

Yes, I'm aware that generations always are in some degree at war. So I amend my wording to "exacerbate" instead of "start."

I just find all very ridiculous, especially when some here tend to scorn those who they think are thin-skinned or are precious snowflakes.

@suzyQ3  I believe in the past you have shown distain at Songbird1's description of the stereotypical QVC BB poster when discussng her jeans du jour. You know, older women who are not fashionable and dislike spending over a minimal amount of money on their wardrobes. Your J Crew jeans are cheap made in China, etc, etc. But maybe you were just having a "thin-skinned" kind of day?

I personally think "OK Boomer" can be funny. For years I have used this tactic to get my point across to my husband when I think he is acting older than his age. I will say "OK Jacob" (his father's name). 

But if I heard an employee say "OK Boomer" to a fellow employee you can bet there would be a war with all kinds of hell to pay. I don't care what anyone says, it is an ageism put-down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3  I believe in the past you have shown distain at Songbird1's description of the stereotypical QVC BB poster when discussng her jeans du jour. You know, older women who are not fashionable and dislike spending over a minimal amount of money on their wardrobes. Your J Crew jeans are cheap made in China, etc, etc. But maybe you were just having a "thin-skinned" kind of day?

I personally think "OK Boomer" can be funny. For years I have used this tactic to get my point across to my husband when I think he is acting older than his age. I will say "OK Jacob" (his father's name). 

But if I heard an employee say "OK Boomer" to a fellow employee you can bet there would be a war with all kinds of hell to pay. I don't care what anyone says, it is an ageism put-down.

@magicmoodz, I think you are attempting to say in your first paragraph that my post was hypocritical.

The only problem with that is that I rarely accuse anyone of being too thin-skinned and certainly never a precious snowflake, whereas some here weight in along those lines constantly.

Personally, if I heard an employee say "OK Boomer" to a co-worker, I would first assume it was in jest. My grandchildren have said it occasionally to us; we laughed. Thankfully, it, like everything else today, will be passe very quickly if it isn't already.

ETA: Just to reiterate: My J. Crew jeans are the best!

Image result for rolling on the floor laughing

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Yeah it is obviously done to get a reaction from those who refer to millennials as "snowflakes" and mock them for being easily "triggered" (some phrases Boomers love to use). It's kind of interesting to see the tables turned reading these comments.

My thoughts, too @JJsMom .

Mocking millennials has been a boomer sport for a long, long time. They are finally slapping back. 

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Agreed! @Ms tyrion2  Heart I've said this for a long time. People think they want to be able to just say it like it is (in their mind) and go around being as nasty as they want to be. But that doesn't account for everyone else doing it too.

I mean, you/they/one might think a college student needs a good dose of cold hard reality. But do you really want to be called old and ugly and irrelevant by some young pup who feels that is true? Respect is a two way street. So if you don't want to show it to others and don't want other people to have safe spaces where folks can't bother them and act like obvious jerks--you'll have to deal with the same type of inescapable hostility, but targeted against you.

I prefer rules and mutual respect, also known variously as politeness, political correctness, or simple old fashioned decency. Nowadays that is extremely old school and traditional and I own it!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 

I agree. If the comment is made in the employee lounge over lunch between friends, it is probably in jest. But if it were made during a staff meeting when one employee cannot seem to grasp necessary changes that must be made--well that is insulting and mean-spirited, not to mention could be perceived as age discrimination.

I might just have to take a look at J Crew jeans! It's always good to hear a positive endorsemnt!👖👖👖

Respected Contributor

I didn't even know this was a thing  until I read this thread. Then I saw a news article today some university professor is in trouble for equating OK boomer with the N word.