Esteemed Contributor

Re: Melt Cosmetics "OK Boomer"

[ Edited ]

The first 8,000 times I heard "Hello Boomer" I thought it was kinda funny.  Now I am getting sick of it.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It seems that some of our millennials need to consult an online dictionary about the meaning of the word "hypocrisy."  

They preach diversity and acceptance all the while bullying and shaming every group and everyone not like them. 

That is certainly not limited to millennials.

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

This seems like just a joke to me, intended to generate controversy and press. I wouldn't take it too seriously. Remember, a lot of us keep saying how younger people are too sensitive about everything, so it's best not to feed into that by being overly sensitive as well.

The reason I think it's a joke is the verbiage. "When they are afraid of change, but you're cutting edge and rock a bold silver wing anyway." 

I mean come on. They're trolling. That's not serious. Rocking a bold silver wing is not cutting edge and has nothing to do with anyone else fearing change. Melt just wants to get attention for their products because they aren't all that popular.

I agree. Melt has popularity among influencers, not really the general public. I had no idea all these indie brands existed until I started watching beauty YouTubers. Indie brands are becoming favorites because they offer more unique products and themes, most are run by women or minorities, and almost all of them are cruelty free, which is important with younger makeup wearers. 

Makeup brands want to catch milennial and teen dollars so they market to them using the latest catchphrases and naming shades things that might not sit well with older people. It's not so much about insulting boomers as trying to be "relatable" to younger people. 

I'm waiting for when a brand releases an "OK Karen" pallette meant to mock us Gen-Xer's. Woman LOL

Poor Karen.  She's such a mess.  Woman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I'm used to defending millennials, but the "OK Boomer" thing has turned into a hateful thing on social media.  I'm not even a boomer and I get that thrown at me on a regular basis. So much for equality and diversity.

"...turned into a hateful thing on social media.."?

I don't think so.

It's not the phrase that's hateful.

It's the groups you're visiting which are hateful.

I mean, some people can turn anything into hate but the original intent of the phrase "Ok, Boomer" is akin to...'whatever.'

Really don't understand the uproar w/ this.🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

This seems like just a joke to me, intended to generate controversy and press. I wouldn't take it too seriously. Remember, a lot of us keep saying how younger people are too sensitive about everything, so it's best not to feed into that by being overly sensitive as well.

The reason I think it's a joke is the verbiage. "When they are afraid of change, but you're cutting edge and rock a bold silver wing anyway." 

I mean come on. They're trolling. That's not serious. Rocking a bold silver wing is not cutting edge and has nothing to do with anyone else fearing change. Melt just wants to get attention for their products because they aren't all that popular.

I agree. Melt has popularity among influencers, not really the general public. I had no idea all these indie brands existed until I started watching beauty YouTubers. Indie brands are becoming favorites because they offer more unique products and themes, most are run by women or minorities, and almost all of them are cruelty free, which is important with younger makeup wearers. 

Makeup brands want to catch milennial and teen dollars so they market to them using the latest catchphrases and naming shades things that might not sit well with older people. It's not so much about insulting boomers as trying to be "relatable" to younger people. 

I'm waiting for when a brand releases an "OK Karen" pallette meant to mock us Gen-Xer's. 

The 'Karen' phrase has nothing to do with Gen-Xer's.

It's an attitude, not an age. 

Frequent Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

Just wow 😳  "They are afraid of change"?  Whatever smug millennial marketing team that came up with that ad description needs to pick up a history book and take some time to study the history of the 60's. They may discover that the young boomers who were involved in the massive social changes that defined that decade were not so different from the the young millennials who also want change today. The Millennials didn't invent the desire for change, it's all cyclical, and change has been occurring since the dawn of time. "OK Millennials"? 
--From yours truly, a proud Boomer child of the 60's who wasn't afraid of change then and isn't afraid of change  now. ✌️❤️😊
P.S. Millennials...Not only were you not the first generation to desire change, you also were not the first generation to rock a bold winged eyeliner either. 🙄

A9E175F7-3003-49F5-BE9C-74B36E4C7D25.jpeg

EF3E8475-DBCA-47E6-80DB-01C58CF2F619.jpeg

9491184C-7848-4AFC-A90A-BEDB551AB82F.jpeg

Thank you fellow boomer! I couldn't have said it better. I really am tired of this millennial knocking of an entire generation that was responsible for some of the biggest and most prolific changes in our country's history. It's ironic, because they have been able to reap the benefits of those changes in their everyday lives without batting an eyelash, understanding the struggles undertaken by another generation, and then taking it all for granted. I'm right there with you. Always ready for a change. Sometimes you just have to fight for it and not expect it to just land in your laps millenials!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I can't believe the ire at what is merely a tag to get attention. No need to start a war between generations over it.

@suzyQ3   The war began quite awhile ago.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I'm used to defending millennials, but the "OK Boomer" thing has turned into a hateful thing on social media.  I'm not even a boomer and I get that thrown at me on a regular basis. So much for equality and diversity.

"...turned into a hateful thing on social media.."?

I don't think so.

It's not the phrase that's hateful.

It's the groups you're visiting which are hateful.

I mean, some people can turn anything into hate but the original intent of the phrase "Ok, Boomer" is akin to...'whatever.'

Really don't understand the uproar w/ this.🤷‍♀️

@sidsmom   You must not get around social media much.

I don't understand the uproar with the things you post about either.  Oh well.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

From a Boomer, this is much ado about nothing. Do you think these kids are checking our birth dates? To them, if you're younger than they are, you're a Boomer.

It's OK, Boomer--to everyone lol.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

@Maltichonmom17
Fabulous post! Love the photos!
@porcelain
Another fantastic post...so much intertwined with the psychological aspects of social media.

I love my fellow Boomers on this forum...we laugh at ourselves, we remember crazy trends and bad hairdos, fabulous music, movies and bad TV sitcoms.
There's also a shared history of some of the most treacherous and frightening times of our lives...assassinations, the Vietnam war, the fight for women's rights.
Boomers are A-OK with me. We are still relevant, we are still changing the world, we still believe in love. ❤