Honored Contributor

Anyone here suffer from Melasma? I have some on my forehead over both eyebrows, and just curious as to what to use or is it best to just see a dermatologist for it? Thanks for all replies!

Respected Contributor

I've had melasma for years.  It's different than hyperpigmentation, much harder to treat.  In my experience, nothing has completely taken it away.  I've tried retinol (Rx from dermatologist), Obagji (hope I spelt that right),  and Meladerm.  Obagji I got from doctor's office, very expensive.  I had high hopes for Meladern because of the reviews and pics of before and after.  It will fade here and there, but never completely go away.  I've read about using hylauronic acid, Vitamin C with good outcomes but I haven't tried it yet.  I know there is talk about using a laser, a very specific one, but I'm too afraid of making it worse.  I've read a lot that lasers are not the way to go because the last thing you want to do is put heat on it.  Knowing my luck and history, it would look worse.  Staying out of the sun and always using sunscreen is very, very important.  If you have consulted with a dermatologist, do so.  Couldn't hurt.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I've had melasma for years.  It's different than hyperpigmentation, much harder to treat.  In my experience, nothing has completely taken it away.  I've tried retinol (Rx from dermatologist), Obagji (hope I spelt that right),  and Meladerm.  Obagji I got from doctor's office, very expensive.  I had high hopes for Meladern because of the reviews and pics of before and after.  It will fade here and there, but never completely go away.  I've read about using hylauronic acid, Vitamin C with good outcomes but I haven't tried it yet.  I know there is talk about using a laser, a very specific one, but I'm too afraid of making it worse.  I've read a lot that lasers are not the way to go because the last thing you want to do is put heat on it.  Knowing my luck and history, it would look worse.  Staying out of the sun and always using sunscreen is very, very important.  If you have consulted with a dermatologist, do so.  Couldn't hurt.

@ScrapHappy Thank you for your response! Both my sister and I got it after we turned 60....I had also heard about using products with Mandelic Acid, but I think I will just see a derm before spending all kinds of money on products that may or may not work or even help! Thank-you!

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@ScrapHappy Thank you for your response! Both my sister and I got it after we turned 60....I had also heard about using products with Mandelic Acid, but I think I will just see a derm before spending all kinds of money on products that may or may not work or even help! Thank-you!

You're welcome.  I got it from birth control pills.  I forgot to mention Hydroquinone.  You can get it OTC and from doctor, the OTC is less of a percentage of the medicine.  There is a lot of controversary regarding Hydroquinone.  It's banned it many other countries and some think it causes cancer.  I used many years ago, it faded it a little. 

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

What about chemical peels? Would those help with melasma?

Esteemed Contributor

I have had this for years. Its by my jaw. I have used a lot of the same things that @ScrapHappy mentioned. They obagi did help some as well as chemical peels. Mine seems to have gotten better, at the moment, but I'm wondering if its because my face is more tan now, and if when winter comes, it will be super noticable. 

Trusted Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  I got melasma after my 1st pregnancy. I saw a dermatologist when it did not go away. He put me on a retinol cream and over time it went away. 

Honored Contributor

Thank-you all! I remember hearing it being called The Pregnancy Mask......I think I will schedule a visit with a derm and see what happens...