Trusted Contributor

Mel Thompson has passed away

I'm sure some of you make up lovers that watch YouTube are fans of Mel Thompson's.  I originally discovered her when Wayne Goss mentioned her and have been following her for the last few years.  She had become my favorite YouTuber.  I watched her videos even when it was about a product I didn't care about just because I liked her personality so much.  

Just saw on her Instagram that she passed away yesterday.  I'm in shock, she was only 35.  I am heartbroken.  She seemed like such a kind, lovely person and she was very funny.  One of those people that you felt like you knew, even though you didn't.  I feel so sorry for her children, husband and family.  

RIP Mel Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mel Thompson has passed away

This is shocking 😔😢

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

Oh dear lord no!!  It's like losing a best friend Smiley Sad  Her poor family Smiley Sad  I'm sure if  you knew how you would have mentioned it.  I know she was gone for a few days recently.  I (think) she'd had a car accident.  Something odd a day or two ago.  I'd told  her Happy Birthday and that she was my favorite beauty YTer.  She thanked me then but a day or two ago I got the same thank you.  Didn't think anything of it...just a glitch.  The You Tube Beauty community will never be the same without her!  I have discovered sooo many beauty products because of her.  I will miss  you SO much Mel!  

Valued Contributor

So sad, she was a fave.

RIP Mel

libby's folly
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm Her husband didn't say why on the post, but Kelsee said "Mel transitioned peacefully yesterday with her loving husband by her side."  I know she has been dealing with some health issues for awhile, but I didn't have a clue it was so serious.  I know her posting has been more sporadic than usual so I thought she might not be feeling well, but never expected this.  

I feel a little silly because I didn't know her, but I start crying every time I think about it.  There was something so genuine about her.  I always watch YouTube when I put on my makeup and I always check for her videos first no matter what the subject is.  I will miss her.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

She was in the hospital late in August.  In one of her vids she mentioned that it would take awhile to get better and stated "it isn't the C word".  She just moved on and didn't reveal anything more that I recall.  Might have nothing to do with her cause of death.

She really did seem so genuine.  Fun to watch.  Will be missed.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

@lkat 

Mel was the kind of person that made you feel like a best friend.  Thank you for letting us know.  I watch YT every day and have been missing her videos.  What a genuine person she was.  I love you Mel!

To her family on Instagram:

OMG, I am so SO sorry and my heart goes out to all of you. Mel was my favorite beauty YTer and responsible for so many of my beauty purchases and looks. I loved her as if she was a best friend. It wasn't hard to see how kind hearted she was and how much she loved her family. Her love for all things beauty related was addicting. She seemed humble and grateful for every day and to have the privilege of being a respected YTer. I will miss her terribly!

Honored Contributor

I just watched a video of her's two days ago.  It was uploaded 3 days ago.  I wonder if it was recorded a lot longer and someone else posted it.  It's the one where she is  showcasing Wayne's latest palette

Esteemed Contributor

I was just doing some reading.  I didn't know she had EDS.  Her passing could be related to that.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel 

In  one of her videos a couple of years ago, she talked about EDS and mentioned how it affects her.  She demonstrated how her skin stretches by pulling the skin on the side of her neck.  It looked like she was able to pull it out about 3+ inches.

I wish I could remember how I found her YT channel but I do remember she was my first beauty YTer to follow and my favorite.  Just the perfect blend of edgy and sophistication!