Honored Contributor

Re: Maybe the Original Smoky Eye is Back

@monicakm 

I ❤️  Smokey eye but have never been able to get it right.  Maybe @Shanus  or @SilleeMee should give me a tutorial on their next Hawaii vacation!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

Oh wouldn't that be so fun!  But if it's not in the cards, I'm sure you can find tutorials on YT.  I ordered from Colourpop so it will be two weeks till my palette and blush show up Smiley Sad  My first idea with a smokey eye is to do a transition in a dark cool purple and then go in with the black.  It's been decades!  I need to watch some vids too.

Respected Contributor

Never left for me.  I like neutral shades and love my Smokey shades too.  I wore the Natasha Denona mini xenon eye palette this week and use it often.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@monicakm   @SurferWife There's a lot to be said for a smokey eye. It is dramatic, but can also overpower an eye and make it look smaller. I have the Lancome palette w/ the grey tones and very dark charcoal black at the end. The first three shades are perfect for an "older eye" and the last two I use as a liner into the lashes.

If I used the two darker shades on my lid or crease, I run the risk of darkening the eye so much that it not only makes my eye look overdone, but also the rest of my face is made to look more fair. Adding a deeper blush or lip to balance it out can really make my face look clown like.

So, for a fair-light/medium complexion, I suggest keeping the tones from a very light shade on lid, next deepest in the crease, next deepest on the outer corner working it into outer third of crease and the darker colors in the palette as liners. 

***Darker skin tones and/or darker brown eyes can carry off deeper colors IMHO.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

What it looks like to me is finally a moving away from warm shades. How long have we been seeing all those browns/golds/oranges/tans? Finally,  cooler colors for those of us who look horrible in warm shades!

@Texasmouse   I so agree. The warm tones are a definite NO for me, too. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

That sounds exactly like how I plan to use it ☺️. Also this won't be something for an everyday look naturally... But it used to be when I was younger.
Honored Contributor

The black is a little intense so I would pass on the black.  

kindness is strength