Regular Contributor

Maybe I investigate ingredients to much, but I'd still like to share my findings.

Josie Maran and TARTE are offering supersize versions of their serums. Josie's is A391367 SuperSize Smooth Skin Resurfacing Serum. Tarte's is A391782, SuperSize Maracuja Oil. If you compare ingredients with the regular sizes of both these serums they are different. Josie's Resurfacing Serum, A368447 ingredient list is different from the Supersize. Also Tarte's Maracuja Oil, A215554 ingredient is 100% cold pressed Passiflora Edulis Seed Oil. The supersize version contains 9 different ingredients. Why do I feel like we are being mislead with SuperSize offers? Anyone else feel this way?

Regular Contributor

Re: Maybe I investigate ingredients to much, but I'd still like to share my findings.

That's just not right. SuperSize doesn't mean squat if you aren't getting the same exact ingredients as the regular size! I'd like to think those were ingredient typos, but seeing as it has happened with 2 products I don't think that's the case. Booooooo!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Maybe I investigate ingredients to much, but I'd still like to share my findings.

I think the ingredients list for the supersize is a misprint. But then it doesn't say it's 100% maracuja either as it does for the regular size. Confusing!

Honored Contributor

@lindseyemmie  There's no such thing as checking ingredients in a product too closely. Sometimes even the regular sizes change ingredients without notice. I've seen it  written in the fine print many time "ingredients may change". I'm lucky to not have sensitivities, but if I did, you bet I'd be reading each new bottle/jar of skincare quite carefully.

If I may point out, especially with oils, I rarely purchase supersizes.  The few I've tried have gone rancid before the bottom of the bottle. My first experience was a bottle of Josie's at $100+. Of course, 3 months after opening, it can't be returned. It was rancid. Did I save money purchasing the larger size? Not if I had to toss 1/3 of the product.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think the ingredients list for the supersize is a misprint. But then it doesn't say it's 100% maracuja either as it does for the regular size. Confusing!

@SilleeMee  Could it be fillers? Adding less inexpensive oils to make up the extra ounces is just wrong. This is a good question for CS at Josie or Tarte. 

Honored Contributor

Misleading?  Possibly.  Confusing?  Definitely.  But I agree that you can never read ingredient lists too closely, especially if you have allergies or sensitivities.

As was previously stated, sometimes ingredient lists change with any product of any size, without notice.  "New" formulas.  

With Josie's supersize I notice that the delivery system is different--pump vs. dropper, so that may have something to do with the change.

Or, it could be a misprint.  Or it could be a different formula for the larger sizes for QVC.  

The problem is, we don't know.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad for your observations @lindseyemmie !

I take these things at face value. They are saying what they mean.

But like @Shanus , I do not buy oils over 2 oz. and preferably, 1 oz. Of course, if you use more, then you want a larger size.

Come to think of it, I don't do any "super" size. (Maybe tp!)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The supersize comes split into two separate bottles. I would put one in the fridge while I use the other. If it came in one big bottle then I would split them in two myself using my own bottles. I store all of my oils in the fridge anyway and take them out as needed. Oils are natural products and do not contain preservatives. They can be destroyed by contamination, heat and light.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@lindseyemmie  There's no such thing as checking ingredients in a product too closely. Sometimes even the regular sizes change ingredients without notice. I've seen it  written in the fine print many time "ingredients may change". I'm lucky to not have sensitivities, but if I did, you bet I'd be reading each new bottle/jar of skincare quite carefully.

If I may point out, especially with oils, I rarely purchase supersizes.  The few I've tried have gone rancid before the bottom of the bottle. My first experience was a bottle of Josie's at $100+. Of course, 3 months after opening, it can't be returned. It was rancid. Did I save money purchasing the larger size? Not if I had to toss 1/3 of the product.

I once called them about one of their oils I purchased for the second time. I told them it smelled funny and that it smelled different than my first bottle. They said that's because each oil is from a different tree or something so they all have their individual fragrance. OK, but this one smells "funny". They didn't send me a fresh bottle or offer any advice at all. I know now that bottle was probably rancid when I got it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The supersize comes split into two separate bottles. I would put one in the fridge while I use the other. If it came in one big bottle then I would split them in two myself using my own bottles. I store all of my oils in the fridge anyway and take them out as needed. Oils are natural products and do not contain preservatives. They can be destroyed by contamination, heat and light.

@SilleeMee   I always assumed once the larger bottle is opened, whether you pour off some and refrigerate or not, it can spoil from that time of being exposed to air.