Valued Contributor

Re: May I Ask For Your Experiences With WEN?

Too time consuming to use and I did have more hair loss with Wen than other shampoos.  It is also way too expensive. 

Super Contributor

In my opinion, WEN is the worst product on the planet.. I tried it and used it correctly and it made my hair so dull and straw like when I went back to regular shampoo and conditioner my hair was bouncy and shiny again. Also my hair started to fall out and until I saw many posts on this I had no idea it was WEN. It is too goodto be true don't bother. It also is so expensive for what you get and I can afford it but a big waste of money. That is just my experience but people who love WEN get upset if you say anything negative. I just have to give my opinion because it is such a bad product. Also there have been many lawsuits against the product. 

Respected Contributor

I have short hair and oily scalp and skin.  It did not feel clean and also using it everyday it was too expensive.  I have always heard that your skin or scalp makes more oil when you clean it too much.  That is not true for me.  The oil pumps no matter what I do.

Super Contributor

I have long, naturally curly (spiral) and thick hair. I learned to use a lot of product to match my hair length, but the problem for me was rinsing it out effectively was difficult. Took many minutes and still too much left in hair. I am happy it works for others...just a challenge for my fat head of hair. I have been using Deva No Poo for about 17 years so no suds but great softness and conditioning. Twice a month I use a sudsing shampoo to get a thorough cleaning of scalp and products.

Valued Contributor

My only WEN experience was thanks to samples received in a Beauty Box several years ago. (I miss those!) I used it a few times, and noticed no difference in the texture or manageability in my hair.  As most of the models used for WEN demos seemingly have thick hair, I assumed that the indifference was due to the fact that my hair is fine and straight. (My hairdresser had predicted that I wouldn't like it.) I gave the next set of samples to a friend with very thick, coarse hair with a lot of body. While I simply noticed no change, she did not like what it did to her hair at all. It is just as well that I do not want to spend that much money on shampoo...er, cleanser. That part of my budget goes to my hairdresser. OTC products suit me just fine.

Esteemed Contributor

Luckily, WEN never caused hair loss for me when I used it for many months. I kept trying to adjust the formulas, but I never got consistent, great results. For that money, you expect something great! I wouldn't call frizz, great!

My normal, root-treated hair improved 200% when I stopped fooling w/ the CCs. What I use now does not strip my hair of color, and I get smooth, shiny results every time.

I like some of the ingredients he uses, however, but I think most of the secret to those results you see from the presentations is in the styling.

Respected Contributor

I was so excited to use this.  Sounded so great.  For me, not so much.  After a couple of weeks my hair was dry, frizzy, my scalp itched and my hair started falling out.  Stopped using and it took about 3 weeks for my hair to recover and get back to it's shiny, bouncy self.  Threw it out and have never looked back.

Honored Contributor

I used WEN for many years...purchased it all from the cleanser, styling cream, mousse, replenishing mist, oils and deep conditioners. It cost me a small fortune!!! At first, my hair felt silky and shiny, but after a few years, the hair loss, limp curls and greasy feel set in. I started using drugstore shampoo as an alternate once a week to deal w/ the WEN build up. My hair looked better, but not as great as before WEN. 

That was when Chaz & I parted ways. I went back to a sulfate free, color safe, moisturizing, volumizing shampoo & conditioner. It took over 6 months to get the residue off my scalp and heal the tiny bumps there that turned out to be clogged hair follicles...just one of the reasons my hair looked/felt thinner. New hair was not growing in and what I had was falling out. Yes, a derm checked it out & I still take estrogen, so no hormone issues....WEN.

Price? I could purchase s&c for a year for what the WEN system costs to get set up the 1st time. Some people love it. I just don't know why. I think the models he uses would have good hair no matter what they used on their hair. The before photos are misleading. Before using conditioner/styling products, blow drying and/or styling, most of us have hair like the "before".  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using Wen for five years. My hair is normal now instead of the oily scalp and dry ends I used to have. I can wash my hair 1-2x a week instead of a minimum of every other day that I used to.

I never get split ends anymore and it allowed me to grow my hair longer as a result and look better. I got my hair to tailbone length and I could have gone longer but I wanted to get the last of my shampoo hair off and try a shorter look for awhile. It's also helped my wavy/curly hair have more defined curl without frizz. 

Do not buy a gallon if you've never used Wen before. I waited until I'd been using it a year and tried a lot of different Wen cleansers and found which ones I needed before I started buying gallons. Also my hair has changed a lot as far as which cleansers I need in the five years I've been using Wen. I've bought gallons for years and I love the gallons but I wouldn't start with one. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

First time I tried it years ago, I felt my hair seemed greasy. 

I tried it again last year and I broke out in hives all over my face, a reaction from using it.  I have read online about others having the same experience as well as losing hair.  There was a major lawsuit against WEN.  I am so surprised that QVC kept selling the product...kind of risky.