Super Contributor

Re: Mature skincare Products

On 2/20/2015 vaccinia said:

Don't want to hijack your thread, but if anyone knows how to deal with stubborn blackheads, I would really appreciate hearing your suggestions. I have one right now that I cannot get rid of, not even with an extraction tool.

theoilcleansingmethod.com will give you a lot information and recipes. This was the game changer for me; unplugged my pores, which slowed down the oil production. For the first time, my skin was clear and felt comfortable! Neither oily or dry. I used one third castor oil (which, surprisingly, is drying) to two thirds organic sunflower oil (Wegmans cooking oil aisle!) and followed the instructions on the website. I did it twice a week to start, then weekly, now monthly.

Esteemed Contributor

Skinn is on ShopHQ or Evine now, and they have a Pore Cleanser and a pore mask. Do you steam before you use your tool?

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/20/2015 vaccinia said:

Don't want to hijack your thread, but if anyone knows how to deal with stubborn blackheads, I would really appreciate hearing your suggestions. I have one right now that I cannot get rid of, not even with an extraction tool.

Another suggestion is superfine sugar. And, it doesn't dry out the skin.

Honored Contributor

Here are a few suggestions:

For dry facial skin, redness, use Marula oil as it will balance out your skin.

Once or twice a week (whatever you can tolerate) exfoliate. I use alba Botanica Hawaiian facial exfoliator which is gentle. Use Burt's Bees Blemish stick (rollerball) for your nose.

Neutrogena Pore Refining facial wash really gets the facial skin clean and will not dry your skin and will diminish look of pores and with time decrease the size.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I have to agree with KatCat1. I learned about Marula oil on here a couple of months ago. I have sensitive, dry, flaky, rosacea skin that actually almost hurts sometimes and have tried litterally everything under the sun. When I read about the Marula oil, it was one of the few things I hadn't tried, so I bought some. I mix two drops in with Cerave in the tub and my face looks and feels better than it has in years. If I am extremely dry or red, I will use the oil first on my face and then the cerave over it. My face stays hydrated all day long. At night I just repeat the process after I cleanse my face is still moisturized when I wake up. I am 65 years old and oh how I wished I knew about this oil 40 years ago.

Super Contributor

OP - may I ask why you can't wear a sunscreen? Is your sensitivity to all sunscreens, or just chemical sunscreen? I have rosacea, and experienced flare-ups when using chemical sunscreens. I have since switched to physical-only sunscreens, and it has made a world of difference in my skin.

You mention that you have "itchy, red spots" on your cheeks, and I'm wondering if the unprotected sun exposure is making that issue worse? I would look like a peeling tomato if I didn't wear an SPF everyday.

Super Contributor

Colonel Meow, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what sun screen are you using? I too cannot wear sunscreen as it tends to make my rosacea worse.

Valued Contributor

Try Tatcha. A Clarisonic will help too. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 2/20/2015 poppinfresh said:

Colonel Meow, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what sun screen are you using? I too cannot wear sunscreen as it tends to make my rosacea worse.

Not at all. I've been wearing Elta MD UV Physical Broad-Spectrum SPF 41 for almost 1 year. I learned about Elta MD by the recommendations of the ladies on this forum. This brand has many different SPF levels, and not all of them are completely physical. Besides the 41, I believe that there is one other with no chemical sunscreen - but maybe someone else can give you that info. HTH!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions from all...I will look into Paula's line and also try to find the oil...I will say, using an oil for such an oily area sounds odd, but am willing to give it a whirl...Sunscreen=Sunscream for me for a few reasons...yeppers, my face feels like I've been in front of a blast furnace(unsure as to if product is chemical or not) and another is that I sweat, alot, when working in my gardens..sunscreen meltdown...right into the eyes. this is the same reason I do not wear make up of any sort during summer... I have began wearing a visor for the last two years...