Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinchwrote:

@Dazlinwrote:

Would you replace retinol, with matryxil?

I cover all my bases so I use both...sort of. 

I use a serum that contains Matrixyl and other beneficial ingredients.  Right now I'm at a crossroads with it, though, and thinking of maybe eliminating it.  I've been a serum junkie for awhile now, but sometimes I wonder if I'm going overboard and if I can maintain my healthy complexion with fewer.  

Not exactly Retinol, but I use Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum.  It has a form of Vitamin A (Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate - aka HPR) that is ready to be received by the skin w/o the conversion steps that are required by Retinol.  There is no irritation with the Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate.

What Is Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate?  

JeanLouiseFinch ...I remember you mentioned Mad hippie retinol.  I have looked into it.  I see it has some oils in it.  How does it feel on the skin?  Is it oily?

Valued Contributor

Retinol and retinoids are very different. There is a lot of info on the internet if you do a search on both terms. I use Retin A (a retinoid) and I also use matriixyl (both in the evening). I'm not sure if using both is making a difference, but I using RetinA over the last 20 years had definitely made a good difference in the texture of my skin. 

Excerpt from one of the sites I looked at: 

'Retinoids, compared to retinol, are more powerful and can provide results in a shorter time frame. However, depending on the type of retinoid and its level of potency, they may irritate sensitive skin.'

Honored Contributor

@Dazlinwrote:

@JeanLouiseFinchwrote:

@Dazlinwrote:

I use a serum that contains Matrixyl and other beneficial ingredients.  Right now I'm at a crossroads with it, though, and thinking of maybe eliminating it.  I've been a serum junkie for awhile now, but sometimes I wonder if I'm going overboard and if I can maintain my healthy complexion with fewer.  

Not exactly Retinol, but I use Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum.  It has a form of Vitamin A (Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate - aka HPR) that is ready to be received by the skin w/o the conversion steps that are required by Retinol.  There is no irritation with the Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate.

JeanLouiseFinch ...I remember you mentioned Mad hippie retinol.  I have looked into it.  I see it has some oils in it.  How does it feel on the skin?  Is it oily?

Not Jean, but I am also using this product, this is a new type of retinol, Dr Murad is also using it now. This product is not greasy at all, goes on like water, although it is a milky white color. I also use MH C serum under makeup, and use their face cream over them. None of them are heavy or oily at all. I have combo skin.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlinwrote:

@JeanLouiseFinchwrote:

@Dazlinwrote:

@Dazlin- It's not oily at all.  The formula has a milky look to it.  It's thin and absorbs easily.  There is some fragrance to it but it goes away immediately upon application. I've been using it for several months and have it on an auto-ship plan with Vitacost.  

Respected Contributor

@Shelbellewrote:

Consult Beaute Regenerol has the highest concentration of Retinol than any other brand, 3%, they buffer it to be gentle.

PTR is only 1.5 %

Consult is what I've been using.  No problems with it.       I tried PTR , didn't care for it.   I never had any good results from PTR serum, or creams.  I do however, love his glycolic cleanser.  His masks and pads are good too...but I found others for less money, that work just as well.  His creams, and seems are out for me.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks, JLF,...fragrance doesn't bother me at all.

Looks like retinol is gonna win here.   I haven't yet decided if I'll go back to Consult Beaute, or try this.   I gotta say...most of Consults products have made a nice difference in my skin.   Always looking for the next best thing☺

Honored Contributor

Re: Matrixyl or retinol?

[ Edited ]

@Dazlinwrote:

@Shelbellewrote:

Consult Beaute Regenerol has the highest concentration of Retinol than any other brand, 3%, they buffer it to be gentle.

PTR is only 1.5 %

Consult is what I've been using.  No problems with it.       I tried PTR , didn't care for it.   I never had any good results from PTR serum, or creams.  I do however, love his glycolic cleanser.  His masks and pads are good too...but I found others for less money, that work just as well.  His creams, and seems are out for me.  

I think PTR uses lots of chemicals in his products, especially his masks, also artificial colors and dyes.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbellewrote:

I just did an ebay and amazon search for matrixyl and retinol combined in one cream or serum. Lots of entries came up.

Yep, that's where I buy Timeless , and saw they make a Matrixyl  serum.    Lots of other brands on there, I don't know if I would trust.   I think, if I were to stick with a retinol, I'd probably go back to either Consult, SkinMedica, or try mad hippie .   Since I use timeless C, and like it, thought I'd look into a retinol if they had it.   

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinchwrote:

@Dazlinwrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch, do you have to start slowly with this serum? I've had problems with other OTC retinols.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinchwrote:

@Dazlinwrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch, do you have to start slowly with this serum? I've had problems with other OTC retinols.

I did not start slowly, and was not using retinol before.