Respected Contributor

Well...wearing mask again and for me, that means acne.  I wore my mask to the grocery store a week ago for about an hour and got at least 10 pimples on my chin.  It's hot and humid wear I live so that only adds to the problem.  Anybody having the same problem as me?  Any solutions?  

P.S. I'm very good about my skin care/acne treatment routine.  

Contributor

Couple of suggestions that have helped me - before putting mask on, I use a light covering of an acne/pimple cream, brush teeth, then rinse with an anti-bacterial mouthwash.  Be sure it's anti-bacterial, not a regular mouthwash.  If I'm away from home and eat, then try to drink a ton of water after eating if you don't have access to a toothbrush.  As soon as I get back home, take off any makeup, then wash with an acne facial cleanser.  May not be 100%, but I did see noticable improvements once I starting this 'system".  good luck! 

Honored Contributor

You could wear a plastic shield instead 

Honored Contributor

Make sure your masks are always clean and freshly laundered. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I was reading something about using a primer in order to help shield the surface of your skin from bacteria rubbing into it from the pressure of a mask.  What I read is to wear a water-based, oil-absorbing type primer. Makes sense to me. Might want to try that.

Honored Contributor

Those shields have been determined to be useless against Covid-19.  If you wear one, you are supposed to wear a mask as well.   

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yes...always.

Respected Contributor

I have problems with my skin too so understand & sympathize @ScrapHappy. I wore a face shield by itself & so did many others where I live...the face covering mandate has ended in my State but I still wear it when stores ask customers to. The shield I use is on an eyeglass frame, it covers ear to ear & forehead to chest, it's easy on off, easy to keep clean & no contact that causes breakouts. I also use 2 skin care products from Paula's Choice, love them. Hope you find a solution...Be well.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I was reading something about using a primer in order to help shield the surface of your skin from bacteria rubbing into it from the pressure of a mask.  What I read is to wear a water-based, oil-absorbing type primer. Makes sense to me. Might want to try that.

@SilleeMee   Yes, that does work. Even for dry skin, using your usual primer, even a silicone one works. The idea is not only is it a barrier from the mask to the skin, it also keeps your skincare sealed (and working) throughout the day. Thanks for mentioning this.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624   The first time around w/ masks, I was laundering mine in my net bag w/ bras, etc. Regular detergents irritated my skin. I changed to hand washing them (then and now) to the type of washing liquid that's gentle like Woolite for gentle fabrics.....used to wash the babies' clothes in something similar. No more irritation.