Honored Contributor

Re: Mascara on bottom lashes - yea or nay

@wagirl wrote:

Both my top and bottom lashes are so whimpy from chemo a few years back that it takes a long time to apply any mascara and have it look decent. I have to use a primer a couple times first then a teeny, tiny mascara brush with the reg stuff on it to even put color on them. My bottom ones are alot worse than my top ones. Remember the days when you would draw on bottom lashes--ala Twiggy? Thats what I need to do, maybe.

@wagirl, as if it were yesterday. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I often apply a liner to my lower lid with a light hand, but I haven't used mascara on my bottom lashes in decades.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Unless I am getting dressed up and going to be photographed (lol!) I don't use mascara on my lower lashes.  After a few hours, I always seem to have dark rings from it.  

I do use a smudge of eyeliner on my lower lids though.  To me, it makes things look more balanced, as someone said earlier.

Trusted Contributor

My bottom lashes are so sparse they aren't even worth putting mascara on, because it makes it look like I have 4 eyelashes.  So, I stopped wearing it on the bottom and think it actually makes me look younger. 

Honored Contributor

@RipleyGirl,   You can lightly swipe the bottom ones to bring a little emphasis on them.  I do that sometimes but I usually do not wear any mascara on the bottom.  Experiment to see what looks good or bad.  Cat Wink

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I need/like the definition on the bottom lash line. If you do nothing, I think it makes your eyes look unbalanced.

I just lightly pencil in gray liner (contrasts w/ my brown eyes), which I usually do on top as well, only the top is a little more.

And then yes, a whisper of a sweep of mascara for bottom lashes, but again, I concentrate on top lashes.

Trusted Contributor

Mascara on your bottom lashes will most definitely age you.  I've both read this (many times) as well as was told this many years ago by a Bobbi Brown artist back in the day.  It is a much cleaner, fresher look with only liner & mascara on the top lash line - and on myself, I agree.

Honored Contributor

My brows and lashes are blonde so basically invisible;  I have to put something on them but putting mascara on the lower lashes has to be my least favorite part of the morning makeup routine!

Respected Contributor

Yes, I do. They are long enoughbut have lightened considerably. I use powder eyeshadow to line there and then a thin coat of mascara.

It doesn't make me look older. It balances my eye, since I like a full lash on top.

Trusted Contributor

I absolutely  wear it on the bottom lashes, my lashes are fairly long but very light, so if I did the tops and not the bottoms it would look weird and unbalanced...but if you have naturally dark bottom lashes you get away with none..

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it