Trusted Contributor

Mascara brushes that get twisted/matted/clumped together?

I love L'Oreal Voluminous mascara, but every single tube of it I buy ends up with a clumpy, matted brush with large empty areas.  It makes the mascara basically useless.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly, but does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?  Have any of you had this problem with certain mascaras?  Any thoughts?  TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Mascara brushes that get twisted/matted/clumped together?

[ Edited ]

Sometimes when mascara comes out looking too clumped on the brush, I wipe the brush on a paper towel and re-dip. Seems a bit wasteful, but better than having the stuff go on like a hot mess!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

I always wipe the wand on a tissue before I apply to my lashes.It works all the time.As a result I’ve never had a problem with clumping.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

I love L'Oreal Voluminous mascara, but every single tube of it I buy ends up with a clumpy, matted brush with large empty areas.  It makes the mascara basically useless.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly, but does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?  Have any of you had this problem with certain mascaras?  Any thoughts?  TIA

@Sue98  Yes. I always used that same mascara (or other drugstore mascara). After purchasing several tubes, all with dry, clumpy wands, I called the 800#. It means the mascara is old, dried out by the bright lights shining on the cosmetics in the drugstore. They apologized and offered the advice to always choose ones hung up at the back of the row since the older ones are in the front, new stock is placed behind. 

I was disgusted that “old” stock was even left to be sold & have since changed to a dept. store mascara (notice they take them out of a drawer beneath the counter away from the light). Sephora and ULTA also keep their mascara out on display. If I purchase there, I ask them to check back stock in the drawer or no sale.

Honored Contributor

Yes I do.  Just last week I went back to Clinique.  Happy I did.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

About every 5-10 uses, I wash my mascara brush with soap and water, dry it with a towel, and put it back in the mascara tube.  Also, when I toss a tube a mascara, I keep the brush, wash it, and keep it as a spare.  These extra mascara brushes are also good for maintaining eyebrows, cleaning combs, and lots of other things.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@Sue98

I know exactly what you're talking about because that is my brand also, and it seems to turn into the twisted mess overnight ! One day it's fine, the next day, ugh.

No choice but to toss and replace. But yes, you described it perfectly 👌🏽 

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

tototwo wrote:

About every 5-10 uses, I wash my mascara brush with soap and water, dry it with a towel, and put it back in the mascara tube.  Also, when I toss a tube a mascara, I keep the brush, wash it, and keep it as a spare.  These extra mascara brushes are also good for maintaining eyebrows, cleaning combs, and lots of other things.  

@tototwo Thanks for the great idea!  I admit to walking out of stores with spoolies from their tester units in my pockets to have extras in my makeup case, but your idea is so much better for my conscious.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sue98  I know what you mean.  I've tried every mascara under the sun........most recently I ordered Maybelline Lash Discovery mini brush mascara and I like it so far!!  It is waterproof and because the brush is more narrow it is easier to get the lashes at the very ends of the eye.   I am a light mascara user however, I don't like my lashes to look fake so I go easy, just enough so they look pretty.   Found it on amazon with great ratings.