Valued Contributor

@GingerHead wrote:

I've seen him present a number of times where I was amazed that they let him on air because he appeared to be obviously  high on something. Overly touchy, feely and flirty.  I do appreciate over the top behavior but that is different than the obnoxious, swaying, staggering, slurring of words that he has displayed. 

He does seem like a nice guy inspite of all that and I hope he can get treatment for any addictions he may have.

WHAAAT?  You finish your statement by saying "He's a Nice Guy"?
Why?  We don't know anything about his real life or personality.  Other than he clearly abuses substances before he goes on air to sell products!

Valued Contributor

@depglass wrote:

What a headache for everyone involved.  HSN will settle for some "modest" amount, admitting no blame with amount hidden,  or it will go to trial and a jury will see videos and hear models' testimony.  

His ridiculous case will go nowhere fast. Mark my words. He's doing this for publicity. He Has No Case. A big corp like HSN isn't about to cater to his crybaby antics.  I suspect his behavior was on their radar for some time. 

Valued Contributor

So this is a defamation suit, not about whether he was legally fired (in an at-wii employment state). Was he even employed by HSN? Doesn't matter.

He's saying HSN defamed him. I've not seen any evidence of that. HSN isn't necessarily responsible for what's posted on the forum. They also took down the offending posts. 

‐-----------------------------------

An Interactive Company Website Does Not Necessarily Mean Liability

As social media continues to expand on the internet, more and more businesses are developing and setting up their own websites. These websites can include public Facebook pages, social media forum pages and blogs. With such increasing popularity, businesses must understand the legal ramifications of owning and running a website and allowing third party individuals to post messages or content on the site.

A key question many business leaders ask is "whether their company is legally responsible when a third party posts defamatory statements or illegal content on its website." Generally, the answer is no. The Communications Decency Act of 1996, 47 U.S.C § 230, grants providers of interactive computer services with legal immunity. Interactive computer services are defined as "any information service...that provides or enables computer access by multiple users to a computer server...." Thus, while the writers of the defamatory content may be liable for defamation, the distributors of the information, or website owners, are not liable. This immunity is critical for any business that decides to host a website, particularly when more and more companies have set up public Facebook pages. Indeed, recent cases have shown that a variety of businesses, including online review forums, search engines and chat sites, may be affected by this legislation.

Eligibility Requirements For §230

The Communications Decency Act provides that a service provider, such as an online blog host, will not be liable for potentially unlawful, or defamatory, speech on its website, if the following three elements are established:

• The person or entity must be a provider or user of an interactive computer service;
  • The underlying claim must treat the service provider as a publisher or speaker of the information; and
  • The communication at issue must have been provided by another information content provider.

Valued Contributor

Re: Martino Fired

[ Edited ]

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I watched him that day on air, he was drunk. He was on air with the woman who used to dance that was his friend with the hair tools. 

It was so awkward to watch him. Martino also used to say to email him when he was going to give away free t-shirts, he never answered any of us.

Every time I reached out to Martino with a question, he responded in less than 24 hours. 

Paula Abdul was not a part of the airing in question but go ahead and jump on the libel bandwagon. I sure hope all that said he was drunk or high have deep pockets. 

Valued Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

It was discussed in great detail on HSN boards.  There are videos showing what he did on air plus models complained as well as viewers called in and wanted to know why he was being allowed to do it. Apparently it's obvious due to the models looking very uncomfortable. Quite a few of those who posted watched it live and many of them called in to ask what the heck was going on with his behavior.

Instead of him going public and attempting to win  a sympathetic public vote, I would think being concerned of the videos showing his behavior, complaints from the people he inappropriately touched and viewer complaints would be more important.

What???? What HSN Boards? They have a community with very low participation. Where did the models post and complain? Who called in and where? Unless you have facts, all you're doing is gossiping. Shameful. 

**By the way, I watched the show and I didn't find Martino's behavior inappropriate or anything out of the ordinary. You can find the video on Youtube and watch it yourself. 

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Thank you for posting this. It's not "old news" to me.

I worry about Marla Ginsburg on HSN - she is always making comments about the models, including the length of their legs, their marital status, how little baby weight they have, what kind of "fruit" their bodies resemble, etc.

She is wildly funny on-air with Callie and she's got great clothes and I would hate to lose her as a vendor.

(She definitely is also physically hands-on with all the models, but lately I have noticed she specifically asks them for permission to touch them, so perhaps that is in response to the Martino lawsuit.) 

Trusted Contributor

@staceyluvsyou 

I didn't realize you were the original poster - THANK YOU for posting this. It is not "old news" to me. Heart

Honored Contributor

Last night, Dimitri James was applying cream to the female host's upper arm and just now he was pressing his finger on the female host's decollate.

Just sayin'. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Last night, Dimitri James was applying cream to the female host's upper arm and just now he was pressing his finger on the female host's decollate.

Just sayin'. 

@JeanLouiseFinch  Can't see the point of him doing that since he is married to a man.

Honored Contributor

Re: Martino Fired

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Just sayin'. 

@JeanLouiseFinch  Can't see the point of him doing that since he is married to a man.

@proudlyfromNJ  Why should that matter? So secksual preference makes a difference?  That's discriminatory.  He's still touching someone in an area that could be considered by some to be too personal.  It's no different than Mario touching someone.  Both men are professionals and some touching happens during demos. I didn't find it inappropriate at all, just pointing out the double standard.  I doubt HSN will axe Dimitri since he just won eight beauty awards and is a big cash cow for them.