Honored Contributor

Re: Martha and Shawn together

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

My further thoughts....

My curiosity got to me and I had to find the Apprentice videos on youtube. I did and sped through them until I got to the final challenge Shawn was part of.  She was in a losing group to begin with but in all honesty, it was Shawn's mouth that got her in trouble, partly due to a bit of bravado but her use of "fake it to make it" didn't resonate with Martha at all.  Shawn tried to defend herself and retract some of her words, but the damage was done.  Martha gave Shawn a bit of a talking to and even after she was fired Martha hand wrote a note to Shawn giving her a bit of a dressing down and even making further comments to her daughter and director about Shawn's future.  It was embarrassing.  You know Shawn had to see that.  Neither has forgotten their experience and now that I know the history I can see where Martha is still the authority and Shawn is trying to kiss up but not getting very far.  

While everyone is trying to make it look like they're professionals that have moved passed it all, you can tell there is some weird tension.  It's a dumb move on the part of QVC execs and program/host schedulers to put Martha and Shawn together.

I never watched that show.  I remember reading about it.  The fake it till you make it would never sit well with Martha.  Shawn embodies that.  It can be good or bad. To Martha, it's bad.  She's no nonsense and doesn't fake anything.

She seems like a very strong woman and doesn't take c a r a p p from anyone.  I didn't see the skincare presentation, but I've seen bits and pieces of her fashion line presentation.  She does an excellent job presenting, and I think the hosts appear to work with her.  I do respect Martha, but I bet she's super tough.  She has a personality that is no nonsense and no b.s.

I think it's bizarre that anyone would think a highly successful business woman (Shawn) would be thinking about a business incident that occurred over a decade ago. 

Not only 'think' about it, but hold some sort of grudge. 

This type of perspective would come from someone that is uninformed, not a professional and doesn't understand that successful female professionals brush it off, learn and move on.

If anything,  Shawn's success - being one of the primary hosts at Q proved Martha 'wrong'. But again, I don't think Martha or Shawn have given it a 2nd thought. It's just the busybody gossips Woman LOL and vendor/host bashers that seem to thrive on creating drama where none exists Woman Tongue

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

My further thoughts....

My curiosity got to me and I had to find the Apprentice videos on youtube. I did and sped through them until I got to the final challenge Shawn was part of.  She was in a losing group to begin with but in all honesty, it was Shawn's mouth that got her in trouble, partly due to a bit of bravado but her use of "fake it to make it" didn't resonate with Martha at all.  Shawn tried to defend herself and retract some of her words, but the damage was done.  Martha gave Shawn a bit of a talking to and even after she was fired Martha hand wrote a note to Shawn giving her a bit of a dressing down and even making further comments to her daughter and director about Shawn's future.  It was embarrassing.  You know Shawn had to see that.  Neither has forgotten their experience and now that I know the history I can see where Martha is still the authority and Shawn is trying to kiss up but not getting very far.  

While everyone is trying to make it look like they're professionals that have moved passed it all, you can tell there is some weird tension.  It's a dumb move on the part of QVC execs and program/host schedulers to put Martha and Shawn together.

I never watched that show.  I remember reading about it.  The fake it till you make it would never sit well with Martha.  Shawn embodies that.  It can be good or bad. To Martha, it's bad.  She's no nonsense and doesn't fake anything.

She seems like a very strong woman and doesn't take c a r a p p from anyone.  I didn't see the skincare presentation, but I've seen bits and pieces of her fashion line presentation.  She does an excellent job presenting, and I think the hosts appear to work with her.  I do respect Martha, but I bet she's super tough.  She has a personality that is no nonsense and no b.s.

I think it's bizarre that anyone would think a highly successful business woman (Shawn) would be thinking about a business incident that occurred over a decade ago. 

This type of perspective would come from someone that is uninformed, not a professional and doesn't understand that successful female professionals brush it off, learn and move on.

If anything,  Shawn's success - being one of the primary hosts at Q proved Martha 'wrong'. But again, I don't think Martha or Shawn have given it a 2nd thought. It's just the busybody gossips Woman LOL and vendor/host bashers that seem to thrive on creating drama where none exists Woman Tongue

I have to disagree with you @Chi-town girl.  In spite of their individual successes, they are still human.  Shawn was embarrassed by Martha on national tv, not in a privately held conversation.  Shawn had to return to her regular life knowing her friends, family, and associates would see the way she conducted herself.  A person doesn't just blow it off and forget it.

Maybe this hasn't happened to you, but I can say for myself (and I think for probably at least a few others) that there have been some experiences in my life from many years ago that impacted me in such a way that no matter where I am currently in my life, those memories still resurface from time to time.  It doesn't matter how many years have passed, I still remember them. Has my joy and success in life been derailed because of them?  No.  Still, I can recount the details and circumstances.  There are just some things in life one doesn't forget.  And if you'll be honest, I think you would agree.  Afterall, our experiences mold and shape us into who we become.  I'm not saying that Shawn's career has suffered or that she is paralyzed in the fear of facing Martha Stewart or her intimidating persona.  All I tried to convey in my post is my observation that there's an awkwardness between them and I speculated why.  It makes sense to me and apparently some others.  But thanks for calling my opinion bizzare and thinking I'm a busybody.  Nice one.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

My further thoughts....

I have to disagree with you @Chi-town girl.  In spite of their individual successes, they are still human.  Shawn was embarrassed by Martha on national tv, not in a privately held conversation.  Shawn had to return to her regular life knowing her friends, family, and associates would see the way she conducted herself.  A person doesn't just blow it off and forget it.

Maybe this hasn't happened to you, but I can say for myself (and I think for probably at least a few others) that there have been some experiences in my life from many years ago that impacted me in such a way that no matter where I currently am in my life those memories still resurface from time to time.  It doesn't matter how long ago it was or how many years have passed, I still remember them. Has my joy and success in life been derailed because of them?  No.  Still, I can recount the details and circumstances.  There are just some things in life one doesn't forget.  I'm not saying that Shawn's career has suffered or that she is paralyzed in the fear of facing Martha Stewart.  All I tried to convey in my post is my observation that there's an awkwardness between them and I speculated why.  It makes sense to me and apparently some others.  But thanks for calling my opinion bizzare and thinking I'm a busybody.  Nice one.

@JeanLouiseFinch.  It's just her typical MO. Pay her no mind.

Respected Contributor

Not me.  She has enough $$$

Esteemed Contributor

I'd like to see Martha Stewart present something together with Judith Ripka, for fun, of course, as I can't imagine them ever presenting together.

They both have that cold persona and phony laugh that makes me cringe. I think they'd ice each other right off the screen!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

As a l6 year old high school sophomore, I worked at once was People's drugstore. I wanted to see a football game on a work night, and I was told, NO, by the Asst. Mgr. He told me if I went not to return for work. I went. When I returned to work, he told me I was fired. 

I couldn't believe he would do that. I left crying and cried for days. Unknown to me at the time, my mother called and talked to the Mgr., asking him to take me back. He did. 

It taught me a lesson, and I still remember it today. And all involved. My mom told me years and years later.

Shawn of course remembers it well. It's not something either of them forget. If it were "mature" and "easily forgotten," we wouldn't have postal shootings et al.    

Valued Contributor

Did not see thhis - but I'd go with Shawn.