Trusted Contributor

Re: Manipulated "after" photos

How about the bra before and afters where they purposely stuff the before bra with weird bumpy 'fillers' ...strange😜

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

Altercations are a reality in the beauty industry.  I'm sure there are honest companies who don't stoop to that level, yet various techniques have been absurdly overused.

The TV spot I find most humorous, which you could call insulting & just plain silly is for Christie Brinklie's skincare line.  You might have to be an insomniac (like me) to catch one. They mainly air during the wee hours of the morning where spots are the least expensive.

First the production quality is bad.  There are no tight shots of Christie-  Only long shots with an oh-so-obvious lens filter. The filter is so strong that it not only blurs every little imperfection, but also blurs out her facial features.  I'm sure the producers/directors are laughing at any vendor who believes this ancient technique could possibly fool even the most naive & vulnerable.

Respected Contributor

I have been saying for a very long time that smoke and mirrors are used to deceive us into purchasing all the "miracle" products. All the make up and skin care claims out there are rubbish and they are only as good as you yourself think they are. If they work for you then that is a good thing. Probably 99% of the products I have purchased from HSN or QVC in the make up or skin care lines have all been returned because of false advertising. Even cleaning and furniture products have been rendered useless because they do not do what they said or showed they would.

One of these days they wll be stopped, I don't know how or when but it will happen....Heart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

It would be very interesting to actually see how these before and afters are filmed. I mean, the skincare b's and a's have to be done over a period of time; the clothing is instantly. I can barely tell one from the other during the product presentations and the lighting has to be just so. It all looks too bright and flooded with light which makes anything hard to really see. . I really don't put much into those things. Maybe the next time I buy something I'll do my own before and after.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

It's not just cosmetics.  The photos aren't manipulated, but the models in the shapewear/bra before and after photos are not standing the same way in both photos, and in one instance the model was wearing a smaller top in the before photo.  Watch the shoulder seams, and the placement of the hands behind the back.

The quote for the day is "What is Truth?"

And the weight loss/workout tape before and afters.  The posture, holding in the stomach, twisting of the body...any of us can look 10 lbs thinner sucking in and turning our bodies that way.