Esteemed Contributor

Re: Manipulated ""after"" photos

On 8/27/2014 Lotus~ said:

I think the most ""honest"" presentations are Adrienne's on HSN.

I agree. She has several generations of models- I can't recall any other vendor doing that. Their facial expressions are very 'drivers license' looking in the before AND after!

Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 AnotherView2 said:

I modeled a new line of foundation on HSN just a few years back.

The owner of the makeup company/vendor/on air guest was very honest to the point she followed the printed rules HSN gives vendors and she had us go with no makeup and no smile in the before photos (which were shot as stills an hour before airtime) and then no smile in the afters (which were live). Well, besides the product being a little too dewy looking in the bright lights, the photos looked bad...both befores and afters.

They shot the befores about an hour before air time. Then they had us apply all our own makeup, no MU artist, and go on air to model the product. It was a disaster. We were booked for multiple shows over a 2 day period and our final one that was supposed to be in prime time with Colleen Lopez got cancelled last minute.

We had started to smile in the afters (at HSN's request) at our last show that presented which helped it all look better but the damage was done. Sales were too low in the previous airings to salvage the brand.

Guess who got our slot when we were cancelled from prime time at the last minute? Adrienne. The product I appeared for was never on air again and the stuff went on clearance. So, they rebuffed the vendor who tried to follow the rules. That says it all.

That's good to know that they have rules for the vendors to follow. Thanks for posting.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree that the photos are often dishonest. I have noticed many before and after shots where the "after" has more lighting. If there is more lighting, there is going to be less shadows in the wrinkles, and the skin tone would look more even. Very dishonest and dumb of anyone to think no one will notice. I will not buy any product that uses such a ploy.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/27/2014 Carmie said:

My take on any beauty cream that melts wrinkles is that the manufacturer wants you to spend your money so they get rich. They will do anything to part you from your money.

IF there was a cream that really got rid of wrinkles and made your face look 10 years younger, the cost would be out of this world and they would never be able to keep it in stock. Some creams can help and make them less noticeable or prevent, maybe, but there is no miracle cream.

The fountain of youth doesn't exist, but that doesn't keep people from looking for it.

I figure if there really were a miracle cream, then all the older actresses would be using it and look fantastic. But many older actresses and celebrities have wrinkles, and they are people who could well afford something if it actually worked. I have chosen to get off this merry go round and just buy a nice night cream over the counter. Lately I have been using the Oil of Olay night cream. I think it costs like $7.00.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Any cream that miraculously shows wrinkles disappear is a temporary skin plumper. I prefer when vendors mention this (as Jennifer Stallone does with Insta Tox) rather than talk about the 'cumulative effect over time' it might have.

Super Contributor

What's so funny to me is when they show a before and after shot, and there is virtually NO DIFFERENCE at all....and then the host will gush and "ooh" and "ah" and say how unbelievable the difference is!! ("Wow...can you believe the difference??" "That's unbelievable; the difference is amazing!") They're going on and on and on, and I'm looking perplexed thinking, "Is she seeing the same pictures I am??!!"

It's laughable!

Respected Contributor

On 8/27/2014 Madisson said:
On 8/27/2014 JamicaJammer said:

I think the most "honest" presentations are Adrienne's on HSN.

Agreed. However, I'd pay $100 just to see her walk onto the set with no makeup and then apply her products to her own face!!!! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Really? Hmmm...That's odd...I think the photos they shoot for her presentations are the most dishonest. She always makes the models look as horrible as possible for the before photos...added darkness around the eyes, extra-squinting, frowning, kind of puckering their chins so you can see the wrinkles there. Then she adds the worst possible lighting.

Also, she seems to use different products during her presentations. She claims she is using the products that she is advertising, but she has a slightly lower second shelf on that table with what I think is different products on it. They rarely show that second shelf, but the camera has made mistakes and shown it. Her products are on the top of the table, but she grabs products from that lower shelf and slathers it on those models.

Her after shots always have the perfect lighting, and if you will notice...she never lets the models smile in the after shots. That way, their wrinkles do not show.

We all have our opinions, but the fact remains that all the after shots, no matter what product, are dishonest.

How can you say that?

She demos the stuff live....the models start with a bare canvas.

I'm not talking about the still shots.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

Puppy Lips.....I actually had a bottle of the original (I'm sure the "original" formula has changed over a dozen times over the past 30 years) in my hand at Ulta last month. I was very tempted to do a one month experiment, but changed my mind. I think I'm going to try it.

I'm going to use the original OOO for one month (or try to) w/o any other serum, lotion or cream and see how my skin look.s

About 6 years ago I was online at a store and there was an older woman ahead of me and we started to talk. She told me she was 91 years old.....I swear she looked about 60 or so. Her skin was beautiful....she had some character lines, but no deep wrinkles or sagging. I'm sure part of that was due to genetics, but she told me she has only used Dove soap and OOO on her skin for as long as she could remember.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

Puppy Lips.....I actually had a bottle of the original (I'm sure the "original" formula has changed over a dozen times over the past 30 years) in my hand at Ulta last month. I was very tempted to do a one month experiment, but changed my mind. I think I'm going to try it.

I'm going to use the original OOO for one month (or try to) w/o any other serum, lotion or cream and see how my skin look.s

About 6 years ago I was online at a store and there was an older woman ahead of me and we started to talk. She told me she was 91 years old.....I swear she looked about 60 or so. Her skin was beautiful....she had some character lines, but no deep wrinkles or sagging. I'm sure part of that was due to genetics, but she told me she has only used Dove soap and OOO on her skin for as long as she could remember.

I believe it. My mother and her aunt who raised her only used Dove Soap and a simple over the counter moisturizer each day (and No spf). Each lived a long time and they both had beautiful skin for their ages and only really wrinkled all over their faces in their last year or two of life when their heart problems became too much to survive.

I think a lot is genetics and I have good skin for my age but, it doesn't stop me from using glycolics, vitamin C, retinol, etc. The odd part is that my skin is not as good as my Mom's was at the age I am now. So, with all my manipulation, exfoliating, masking, applying, etc. my skin is no better for it. I would have thought by now that I would look better than Mom did at 51...no dice. It is what it is going to be...Maybe I should start saving my money for a trip to Italy...

Contributor

I think the most "honest" presentations are Adrienne's on HSN.

Oh please, Adrienne is just as dishonest as the rest of them. Just last week she told a model to adjust her eyebrows before she put that new Clone product on them. She put it on. Then magically the models eyebrows went back down and the wrinkles were diminished. Her before and after pics were also messed with. She said models weren't wearing makeup in the after pictures when it was obvious they were. They are all a bunch of liars just to make a buck... or lots of bucks.