Trusted Contributor

Re: Manipulated ""after"" photos

I always notice the "Mona Lisa" smile effect. That's a good way to describe it.

You can tell the before photo has the model doing a very subtle smile to accentuate crow's feet, because the eyes look different. In the before the eyes have just a slight happier, more alive look, and in the after the eyes look almost dead. In a way it's creepy.

I rarely see any big difference, in fact, to me, often the befores of the skin look better, more dewy, less matte.

I never go by those photos.

Respected Contributor

A little OT, but I get most annoyed with hair commercials (QVC or not). They always take all the model's hair and bring it forward around their neck on both sides so that it looks very full and lush. I guess they don't understand that some of us know that leaves no hair in back! I see this on almost every shampoo or cleanse commercial, How dumb do they think we are? (Or how dumb are we?)

Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 JamicaJammer said:
On 8/27/2014 Lotus~ said:

I think the most "honest" presentations are Adrienne's on HSN.

Agreed. However, I'd pay $100 just to see her walk onto the set with no makeup and then apply her products to her own face!!!! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Really? Hmmm...That's odd...I think the photos they shoot for her presentations are the most dishonest. She always makes the models look as horrible as possible for the before photos...added darkness around the eyes, extra-squinting, frowning, kind of puckering their chins so you can see the wrinkles there. Then she adds the worst possible lighting.

Also, she seems to use different products during her presentations. She claims she is using the products that she is advertising, but she has a slightly lower second shelf on that table with what I think is different products on it. They rarely show that second shelf, but the camera has made mistakes and shown it. Her products are on the top of the table, but she grabs products from that lower shelf and slathers it on those models.

Her after shots always have the perfect lighting, and if you will notice...she never lets the models smile in the after shots. That way, their wrinkles do not show.

We all have our opinions, but the fact remains that all the after shots, no matter what product, are dishonest.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 Judaline said:

They DO have pics of Adrienne sans make up. But they are probably ten years old. I'd like to see her now. Who doesn't look bad without make up? It's just the cheating that I can't stand. It is so obvious in some before pictures how the model is squinting to give her 11 lines and forehead more oomph. We're onto all of them- Dimitri being the worst.

I've seen the photo of her 10-15 yrs ago, but she IS wearing makeup then, very harsh makeup.

I mean TODAY ... let's see her go on-air TODAY with a clean face and put on her products.

Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 Judaline said:

They DO have pics of Adrienne sans make up. But they are probably ten years old. I'd like to see her now. Who doesn't look bad without make up? It's just the cheating that I can't stand. It is so obvious in some before pictures how the model is squinting to give her 11 lines and forehead more oomph. We're onto all of them- Dimitri being the worst.

Do you remember when Adrienne had the face lift? That was probably around 2000. Her photo was on the cover of the program guide one month, and she looked horrible. Then we did not see her for a couple months. When she came back, she looked 20 years younger.

She said that she noticed how bad she looked on the cover of the program guide, so she had some new products developed by her chemist...and wow!...just look at the difference those products made in her in the month or so that she supposedly had been using them. She put that program guide up by her face and had the camera show the before and after. I wondered how simpleminded she thought her viewing audience was.

I'm sure she is keeping her face younger looking now with either another face lift or a lot of botox, etc.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

I think it's interesting that the OP never replied back to any of these comments. Most obviously - which product was she specifically referring to???

Super Contributor

I modeled a new line of foundation on HSN just a few years back.

The owner of the makeup company/vendor/on air guest was very honest to the point she followed the printed rules HSN gives vendors and she had us go with no makeup and no smile in the before photos (which were shot as stills an hour before airtime) and then no smile in the afters (which were live). Well, besides the product being a little too dewy looking in the bright lights, the photos looked bad...both befores and afters.

They shot the befores about an hour before air time. Then they had us apply all our own makeup, no MU artist, and go on air to model the product. It was a disaster. We were booked for multiple shows over a 2 day period and our final one that was supposed to be in prime time with Colleen Lopez got cancelled last minute.

We had started to smile in the afters (at HSN's request) at our last show that presented which helped it all look better but the damage was done. Sales were too low in the previous airings to salvage the brand.

Guess who got our slot when we were cancelled from prime time at the last minute? Adrienne. The product I appeared for was never on air again and the stuff went on clearance. So, they rebuffed the vendor who tried to follow the rules. That says it all.

Regular Contributor

On 8/26/2014 Fabby said:

I have noticed Demetri manipulating the model's face with his split screen B/A. On the treated side he is pulling up on the skin, making the after appear even better; on the untreated side he pushes down on the skin, making the before appear worse than it really is. The Rodail, also on shophq, shows the before model photos with a full smile, after photo an unsmiling face. Like the Mona Lisa smile making it look more pronounced. They think they are so smart.

I know I posted this before how I have been using SKINN products since Feb 2009 - so I know they are GOOD ...... NO! not good.................. GREAT!!!!!

BUT - Dimitri DOES HAVE a SLIGHT of HAND........ also - he doesn't have ANY before & after photos LIKE test photos. People using HIS products after 30 days, 60 days etc.......

I also wish he would do a REAL demo with the skin care products. He ALWAYS says I already put (whatever product) THEN puts more on

Well let's see on a CLEAN face -

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/27/2014 dionline said:

I think it's interesting that the OP never replied back to any of these comments. Most obviously - which product was she specifically referring to???

Newbie posters do this all the time- probably for a variety of reasons!

Honored Contributor

My take on any beauty cream that melts wrinkles is that the manufacturer wants you to spend your money so they get rich. They will do anything to part you from your money.

IF there was a cream that really got rid of wrinkles and made your face look 10 years younger, the cost would be out of this world and they would never be able to keep it in stock. Some creams can help and make them less noticeable or prevent, maybe, but there is no miracle cream.

The fountain of youth doesn't exist, but that doesn't keep people from looking for it.