Super Contributor

Re: Manipulated ""after"" photos

I forget which product it is, but I've seen a commercial for some sort of slimming belt thing that is supposed to make you look 10 pound slimmer instantly (or something along those lines). The before pictures show the typical ill-fitting clothes and the usual muffin top bulge that they all show. Nothing surprising there. But the after shots are the ones that made me really laugh... not only did the torso look instantly slimmer from this abdomen belt contraption thingy, but so did the ARMS and hips.

That wasn't on the Q, but it was just more pronounced than what we see on the Q with their demos. Like the before and after bathing suit or undergarment shows where they put the models in the most grotesquely fitting outfits for the before shots, and then say "see how much better they look in THIS? Alrighty then.

I wasn't born yesterday. If I was, I wouldn't need most of what they are trying to pitch anyway, LOL.

Honored Contributor

This is nothing new ..... has been going on for decades.

Your best bet is to read the reviews for the products that interest you.

Super Contributor

Same here. I typically zero in on the coloration of the model's eyes.....the before photo always looks icky yellow/dark.....thus, of course anything in the after photo looks "fresh, youthful", etc.

Same with before and after photos for hair products. NEVER do you see the model wearing a flat hairdo like the before....and often no makeup in the before. One of the worst offenders is the WEN dude. And even with the teeny print "with pro styling" as a bit of disclaimer, I want to see the "before" hair after it's got conditioner and styling done, not just purposely dried to look like straw.

Figure if they have to misrepresent to the point of lying, I ain't buying!

Respected Contributor

It was extremely obvious during one of Josie's TSV presentations yesterday afternoon. They showed a Before/After shot of the blonde model with the fabulous legs...she said she will be 60 soon.

The before had very prominent lines in the crow's feet area and the side of her face....the after picture looked much better. THEN.....they go to a live shot of her using one of the products (I think it was the ""milk"") and her crow's feet looked the same (if not worse) than in the ""Before"" picture.

That really ticked me off.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

I think the most ""honest"" presentations are Adrienne's on HSN.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 Lotus~ said:

I think the most "honest" presentations are Adrienne's on HSN.

Agreed. However, I'd pay $100 just to see her walk onto the set with no makeup and then apply her products to her own face!!!! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Super Contributor

I think we forget that the shopping channels' main priority is to sell, sell, sell. It's the same with any advertising, commercials and print ads, too. If you read the fine print on the ads for mascara, you'll see that models are still wearing false lashes in the pictures. I never really pay attention to before and after photos, I do my research on products and try not to get sucked into the hard sell.

Esteemed Contributor

Lighting, camera angles, can do marvelous things to faces and bodies. And one good smile makes a difference. So they are out to sell and that is what they do. As for Adrienne, she at least uses older models. Nothing like showing a 20 year old and claiming the WINKLES ARE ALL GONE.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

They DO have pics of Adrienne sans make up. But they are probably ten years old. I'd like to see her now. Who doesn't look bad without make up? It's just the cheating that I can't stand. It is so obvious in some before pictures how the model is squinting to give her 11 lines and forehead more oomph. We're onto all of them- Dimitri being the worst.

Frequent Contributor

YES !!! I can't take it !!! Check out what they do for Neck cream miracles , the models head is always tilted down a bit in before and held high in after !!! WATCH !!!