Super Contributor

Anyone ever try the maincure scrub from Bath and Bodyworks? Is it worth having

Esteemed Contributor

I like it and always have it on hand.

Honored Contributor

It's fine, but I think it's expensive for what it is. You can get scrubs like this from the high end (like Josie Maran or Fresh Sugar) to the bargain end (like the ones at Marshall's and TJ Maxx) and they all work about the same. Some are salt and some are sugar, but they all work the same way, so it's a matter of preference.

They all have an oil base, so if you DO use one before a manicure, make sure you wipe the nail plate with some nail polish remover or alcohol before you apply your base coat or your nail will have an oily residue and the polish won't stick. I like to use these scrubs before I remove my old polish. That protects my nail from the scrub and means I'm cleaning the nail with remover between the oil and the polish. I make sure I use a cuticle oil on my cuticles after I apply my polish to make up for the polish remover.

Honored Contributor

I have not tried the one from B&BW. I have tried the Tru Blue I'm In The Mood for a Scrub. I did not really care for the scent but it works really good at exfoliating.

You could make your own. All you need is some olive oil, vitamin e or argan oil + some sugar or brown sugar. There are lots of recipes online.

Esteemed Contributor

I use demerara sugar from the grocery store + olive oil (or whatever oil I have handy).

It works really well.

(As was mentioned before, be sure to clean nails with alcohol or remover if applying polish after the scrub.)

I will never buy scrubs again because making scrubs at home is cheaper than buying them, and it's so incredibly simple.

Image result for demerara sugarImage result for demerara sugar

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Regular Contributor

Completely agree with make your own! And make sure it is something which dissolves (like sugar, no salt - too abrasive, if you can buy jojoba beads, I think those are a good option too.) - otherwise, big seeds and loofah bits get stuck in drains and make for an expensive plumbing visit. 

Also, I highly recommend using an alpha hydroxy acid peel like Alpha's line found at Ulta stores (used to be 'Alpha Hydrox' in the red boxes, they have rebranded but the excellent formulas - all made in America, are identical!) - I like their 14% serum which is really a gentle effective peel. Use this all over your hands (and elbows! And heels! And face, if it's not too sensitive,) and this will help eliminate the dry skin in those areas. You can use it for 20 minutes before a scrub for a double whammy. And their AHA based facial creams also make great overnight hand treatments.

My FAVORITE overnight hand treatment is tsubaki oil (Aka: Camellia seed oil.) which has a high oleic content and is the only thing in the past 10-15 years to make my nails grow and be strong. The ONLY thing. I use a drop nightly and prefer the brand "Chidoriya". Read my threads on Chidoriya for more info. I'm currently over the moon on this line.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cerinthe

Thanks for the tips on Alpha and Chidoriya!!

I hadn't heard of Chidoriya, and I didn't realize that Alpha Hydrox was still around under the shortened brand name.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org