Honored Contributor

I love professional mani/pedis.  I'm having knee replacement surgery in mid January and I won't be able to get to the nail salon get into that pedi chair for a while.  I'm wondering if anyone has heard of technicians who make house calls.  Does that type of service exist?  I know that there are hairdressers who make house calls and make artists.  

So, I wondered about nail techs.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I love professional mani/pedis.  I'm having knee replacement surgery in mid January and I won't be able to get to the nail salon get into that pedi chair for a while.  I'm wondering if anyone has heard of technicians who make house calls.  Does that type of service exist?  I know that there are hairdressers who make house calls and make artists.  

@chrystaltree  Someone in your therapist or doctor's attendant staff would probably know more about that than any one of us out here in cyberland.  Some physicians prefer, until you are completely healed, that you do not get pedicures secondary to infections.  I am related to someone who ended up on life support from a manicure at age 42 because of an infection. So in the postsurgical stages and if you have any kind of autoimmune deficiency from lupus, MS, diabetes, etc., you must be more careful than most people.  This is a question for your professionals. Will you be going to a rehab unit post surgery?  If so, ask of the facility if they have such service.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't heard of a service that goes to homes.  You could ask the place you go to.  The Dr would probably suggest seeing a podiatrist for nail maintenance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mani & Pedi @ home

[ Edited ]

I had knee replacement in October and I was told no pedi’s until the scar is healed which for me was about six weeks. You’re going to be busy with rehab and just resting so a pedi might be the last thing on your mind. I don’t plan on getting a pedi until March or April when the weather warms up. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree,

My last pedicure was 10 days before my knee surgery on October 18th.  I made sure there was enough time between my pedicure and my surgery to insure no open cuts on my feet.   

I have yet to return to the salon, but have made an appointment for the second week of January, and will be the first appointment of the day, and the week.   My incision is closed enough that I feel safe doing a pedicure in January.   One of my daughters has helped with cutting/filing my toenails since my surgery.   Due to the complication of having the upper half of my incision spread open, my leg has been far more sensitive and tender, and I have allowed NO ONE to touch my leg.  

My nail tech has a small one person shop, and has done house calls for several of her clients.  

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree  Someone in your therapist or doctor's attendant staff would probably know more about that than any one of us out here in cyberland.  Some physicians prefer, until you are completely healed, that you do not get pedicures secondary to infections.  I am related to someone who ended up on life support from a manicure at age 42 because of an infection. So in the postsurgical stages and if you have any kind of autoimmune deficiency from lupus, MS, diabetes, etc., you must be more careful than most people.  This is a question for your professionals. Will you be going to a rehab unit post surgery?  If so, ask of the facility if they have such service.  

That makes sense.  They did say no dental work, even cleanings 3 months before and 3 months after the surgery.  I think I'll send an email to the Physician's asst in my surgeons office.  I'm sure I won't be thinking about a pedi until a couple of months after my surgery.  No, I'm not going to rehab.  I'm just having one knee done.  I get 2 RN home visits and physical therapy and occupational therapy at home, 3 times a week until I am off the walker.  Then I'll have my physical therpay in  hospital outpatient.  

Honored Contributor

My podiatrist has a girl who is a nail tech working in his office. She cuts and files your nails , does a wonderful job , all included in your visit.The doctor usually trims any calluses. I leave there looking like I just left the spa. 

If you got your nails done right before the surgery you will be able to wait until you can get back to the salon. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree   Call your current nail salon and ask if they offer services in the home.  I would definitely call around and get prices.  Good luck with your surgery.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree I'm not sure if this will apply to your area - but I just heard an advertisement for new ap - it's called Priv - and what it's supposed to be is for salon services delivered to your home.  The whole concept is brand new to me, so I really can't tell you much more, but I did take a quick look at the ap on itunes and it says :

Description

PRIV is a mobile and web platform that delivers vetted beauty and wellness professionals to your location. Choose your professional based on your availability and view their bios, portfolios and user ratings. Downloading the app is free and all prices include tip. 

We are currently available in New York, Los Angeles, Austin, Miami, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C. - We hope to come to your city soon!

Services Include:
* Makeup
* Blowout
* Haircut
* Nails/Manicure
* Massage 
* Personal Training
* Men's Grooming
* Spray Tan
* Facials (New)

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars

Thanks, I found another service like that but neither is available in my area.