Occasional Contributor

Mally's New Concealer w/brush

I just received this concealer yesterday and am confused. The texture is so nice and creamy but the application with the brush is very spotty. I couldn't get the concealer to lay flat and smooth for the life of me (not even patting it with my fingers). The first time I had on moisturizer under my eyes. I waited about 2hrs and looked in the mirror and there was tons of creasing and the formula separated. So I washed it off and started again on bare skin. Looked a little better but still not good. To reach the coverage shown on air I would have to have spackled this stuff on.
Had anyone received theirs yet? Any tips on better application? TIA

p.s. after being mia for a couple of years this concealer brought me out of hibernation Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Re: Mally's New Concealer w/brush

Concealer can be can be tricky for sure.  Are you setting it with a powder right after applying? 

New Contributor

How funny- I am reading your post and cracking up because I haven't posted in like 5 years yet reading this is what bought me out of hibernation too! LOL! I have been searching every day since this aired to see if anyone would mention this product so thank you very much for your review on it! Funny you mention the spotty application because that's the first thing I noticed in all of the presentations - awful uneven blotchy application but I honestly thought it was the brush and not the product. I was surprised that they showed something that had results this bad. That's what held me back from buying it right then and there but have been close to giving it a shot & keep thinking about it lol. I have had horrible luck with Mally's concealers and have purchased almost all of them. I love many of her products and I'm a huge fan of the line but her concealers are always an epic fail for me. Seems like when it comes to the concealer she can't get it right and keeps coming out with new ones. I've been wondering if the concealer would look good with a diff method of application because it seemed to have a pretty highlighting effect but I couldn't get over all the flaws you just mentioned that I noticed on air. Can you please tell me what shade you got? Did you try using a beauty blender or a regular concealer brush to apply it?  I'm just wondering if the outcome is a result of the concealer itself or the brush...... I'm not a fan of using those brushes for concealer but the product still shouldn't look that bad. I usually use a brush or sponge to stipple the concealer into the skin. I wonder if that would work. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this! Sorry for my long post lol.

Occasional Contributor

Wvufan, No I didn't set it with powder. I thought I heard Mally say that it didn't even need to be set. I will try that. I only used my fingers and the brush it came with. I don't own the beauty blender, just a knock off type sponge, will try that next.

Becklleylola, your post made me laugh. I got this in medium. You see, i didn't watch the first presentation live, I actually watched the recorded presentation on my phone. I ordered it right away and it shipped the next morning. So while I was watching Mally's live show at the 11pm est time that night, on the day it shipped, I was a little worried since the concealer seemed to highlight every crinkle under the models eyes. But it didn't look so uneven on TV as it does in person. The color match is pretty good. I am a warm light/medium in the winter and just warm medium in summer. It has a scent to it also. Can't quite put my finger on it, maybe baby powder and flowers. I'm going to keep working with it, if it doesn't work then I'll send it back.
Respected Contributor

@mommy323 I always set my concealer and any other cream I use on my face. If I don't, my under eyes looks terrible. I would be willing to say that Mally  sets her "famous clients" concealer as well. I was using the Beauty Blender and was loving it. I was at Walmart and saw the sponge by Real Techniques and it was only $5.98 and thought I'd give it a whirl. I must say that I'm enjoying it and I love how much cheaper it is. Keep us posted on the concealer. Smiley Happy

New Contributor

Thanks for answering my questions mommy323! I saw one presentation on tv and the other on my phone too lol. The one I saw on tv looked worse than the second- very blotchy, uneven and dry yet when Mally did it on herself it looked nice so I was torn lol. I'm a light and I found it odd that in both shows they didn't show the light application but kept showing the others. Please let us know if you were able to make it work and if the sponge or concealer brush works better. I'm not a fan of using powder under my eyes and a good concealer shouldn't require it. I've been using Estée Lauder double wear concealer for 18 years and it's my holy grail because it lasts all day and looks flawless but sometimes I feel like trying something different because I get bored (I know weird lol). The one thing that I wonder is about these new product launches being that I read the company was in the middle of bankruptcy so I assume anything released now had to be in the manufacturing process back then. Makes me wonder if the quality was compromised? I didn't really follow on it much except for what I read on here. I eagerly wait your review as I'm still debating LOL! 

Trusted Contributor

I really liked the brush that comes with the concealer.  I would not use it for concealer, but it is a nice size for blending eyeshadow.  I like those bigger brushes for eyes and when I saw this demonstrated I was interested in it just for the brush.  

Trusted Contributor

@Beckleylola - I am not current on the bankruptcy but I believe it was a restructure bankruptcy and that the company was sold, management overhauled, etc.  I believe a new company has taken over the Mally name with Mally remaining in some capacity.

New Contributor

Thank you MssHopper, I wasn't sure what would be of the products but I guess now that I know the info you just gave me it makes more sense as to why they are coming out with new products. Prior to me reading your response I assumed they would be trying to liquidate but I guess not. I love the brand so I hope the quality of her liners & other products stay the same being that the mascara has changed. Btw, I agree the brush looks like it would be fabulous for blending eye shadow but as you said, I wouldn't use that for concealer. It's funny because I saw a YouTube video from makeupgeek where she talks about using a similar brush for concealer and I thought to myself when did this start because I think it's terrible idea to use that kind of brush for something like concealer. Did yours ship yet? Can you please review for us Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Here is an article about the new product development director for Mally Beauty:

http://www.modernsalon.com/news/manufacturers-and-distributors/marta-palladino-new-product-developme...