Honored Contributor

Re: Mally's Mascara?

[ Edited ]

@Funloving wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Funloving wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Funloving wrote:

It was interesting reading through your comments here.  The white tube non-waterproof Mally's Volumizing mascara had been my holy grail for quite a while.  

Then all of a sudden it stopped working the same.  It does nothing for me..  And, I was unaware of the sale.  I guess I live under a rock. Smiley Surprised

Anyway,   I was planning to post about this.  I'm on the hunt for a replacement now.  I was using Diorshow before, but now I'm spoiled and would prefer to stay in the same price range.  I'm trying the newest from Smashbox, I had a sample of BE's Lash Domination which I kinda like, so purchased a tube of that.  I'll start with these 2 to see if I can come up with a replacement for my beloved white tube.   I KNOW it doesn't perform the same for me.  At all.   

Smiley Sad

How do you like the SB mascara?

I'm glad you ladies let me know that Mally's formula changed.  I almost bought the duo last night!  I guess I won't.  BUMMER as she had a great mascara!

Hi @winamac1

I'll be sure to let you know.  It gets good reviews from bloggers and on HSN, although I think there are only 10 total reviews which were all good except for the last. It was one of those silly short, "I hate this" type comments, of no use to anyone--  speaking of "dud reviews" from the other thread.

I had an unopened DiorShow in my stash... wasn't sure it would still be good since I'd hung on to it for so long.   Mally was my  go-to.  As it turns out it's fine!  I thought I'd finish this tube since it's so pricey, then dig into the Smashbox Full Exposure.  It claims to lengthen, curl and volumize in one, which is what I look for in a single mascara.  I don't have the patience or desire to use 2 or 3 different mascaras to achieve thickness and lengthening.  I think you'll find plenty of reviews online.. and again, I'll review once I give it a whirl in a few months.

It's in the same price-range as Mally... just no good deals like the Q offers when you buy 2 or the 6 pack.  I always bought the 2 at a time, thinking 6 might be overkill and compromise the product.  I'm not as skeptical anymore... I hate to tell you how long I've had this Diorshow I'm using... lol.

Also, the new Geller mascara looks interesting.

Thanks so much.

I didnt' like the DiorShow.  I felt as if I didn't get the volume I wanted, and the brush was too big to really build!  Try the L'oreal Voluminous!  it's better and its' $6.00.  I'm a mascara junkie and I've tried most, LOL.  Thanks

I hear you @winamac1I used to LOVE Diorshow.  Once I changed to Mally, I never looked back. You're right about the huge wand but I think the formula is nice and love the rich black.  It never clumped or flaked on me.  Since this wand is open I'm using it, but my quest to find something more like Mally's original formula IS ON. 

I'll probably not wait to use the full tube of Diorshow.  Smashbox's mascara came from HSN in a configuration of a small long-wearing self sharpening eyeliner pencil (LOVE) and a little tube of under-eye primer- whatever that's presumed to be.. haha.  Quite probable it's a throw away.  They still have some.. I think the price may have increased.. but maybe not.  The price was either the same or less than a tube of the mascara with no shipping.   If I don't like it I have no problem sending it back.  I hold these companies true to their word on the way a product performs, so I'd better try it soon in case it doesn't work.

Thanks for the tip on Loreal's Voluminous.  Several here love that mascara.  It just didn't work for me.  Not out much money- so no big deal.  I've tried several drugstore mascaras with no luck, except for Maybelline's Full & Soft- which I wore for years.  

I'll review Smashbox's new mascara sometime next week. Smiley Tongue

Have a good weekend, Win!

ETA:  Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara is NOT a new mascara- not sure why I perceived it was.  Reviews on the Ulta site where it gets 4 out of 5 stars gives you a pretty good idea of what it's all about.  @winamac1, don't think you'd like this one because reviews talk about the big brush.   Also the last review on HSN wasn't the one I was thinking of.  I read so many reviews I confused the useless 1 star review which was obviously attached to another product.   Sorry to unintentionally mislead anyone.

Such a BUMMER they had to change a GREAT product.  This always happens!  Smiley Sad

I disliked the popular "They're Real" mascara by Benefit.  Some others to consider which I've tried as samples & liked are Make Up For Ever Smokey Lash (caveat-may have a larger brush too)  & Bare Minerals Lash Domination-NOT the other one by BE- BIG difference.

Your fellow mascara junkie..  Smiley Tongue

LOL

I hate the Full Exposure Mascara by SB. It's bad.  SB has a different new mascara.  Go to Ulta and you'll see it.  I forget the name now, but I can find a copy of the link to it off of Sephora or Ulta. Full Exposure does nothing for my eyes nor does DiorShow.

It's called X rated mascara.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Here it is:

http://www.smashbox.com/product/6030/39357/Eyes/Mascara/X-RATED-MASCARA/NEW/index.tmpl

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Are you using this?  Thanks...will check it out.  It's sold out on the Smashbox site, so that's a good sign.  This photo is a bit distorted.

Smashbox X-Rated Mascara

I also looked at the other suggestion in this thread.. 

ARDENCY INN PUNKER Unrivaled Volume & Curl Lash Wax.  Not sure about that curved brush though.

Make Up For Ever's Smokey Lash mascara I've tried in trial size and really liked it, as I recall.  It's a dry formula which comes in several colors at Sephora... only sold online now.  Wayne Goss has it on his top 10 list.

Valued Contributor

I used Mally's mascara for years, and have stopped since the reformulation doesn't work well for me.  Interesting to see I'm not alone!

Now in HG search mode - so far, I'm liking Lancome Hypnose Star.  A very interesting brush; seems to really bring out and elongate my poor skimpy lashes.  Flakes a bit more than I would like, but once I've combed through and brushed away any flakes, I apply bareMinerals Locked and Coated top coat, and it stays nicely all day.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Trusted Contributor

FYI @Funloving the Ardency Inn Punker unrivaled mascara is on HauteLook today for 9.50...loads of other makeup from that brand too...I am looking for a HG mascara, too, so I may just try that one...it is priced right Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Krissy_1968 wrote:

FYI @Funloving the Ardency Inn Punker unrivaled mascara is on HauteLook today for 9.50...loads of other makeup from that brand too...I am looking for a HG mascara, too, so I may just try that one...it is priced right Woman Happy

Thanks for the tip @Krissy_1968!   I'll give it a try at that price!

BTW, Smashbox 1st impression review forthcoming..  Just tried it.