Honored Contributor

Mally's Face Defender - the older formula

[ Edited ]

So I tried the "universal" one.

It feels different on my skin.

It is WAY too dark.

Two hours later my makeup and/or the face defender is rubbing off on anything my face comes into contact with.

I don't like it - it's definitely not a good fit for me.

I used the original every day. It set my makeup, my makeup didn't come off on the shirt of anyone I hugged, and my skin felt amazing. 

Since this is no longer made, have any of you who used to use this found anything else that works well? I don't like powder, but if it doesn't come off I'll try it.

How I wish the new company that owns Mally Beauty would bring this back. I think they would have by now. It must cost too much for them to do this. Mally cared about her customers; the new company is all about the bottom line.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Mally's Face Defender - the older formula

Ah that is so disappointing to hear and I know many will be very upset to know this as it is an icon product of hers. What a shame. Sorry @beach-mom. I still have my one since I rarely use it but glad I have it on hand. 

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

So I tried the "universal" one.

It feels different on my skin.

It is WAY too dark.

Two hours later my makeup and/or the face defender is rubbing off on anything my face comes into contact with.

I don't like it - it's definitely not a good fit for me.

I used the original every day. It set my makeup, my makeup didn't come off on the shirt of anyone I hugged, and my skin felt amazing. 

Since this is no longer made, have any of you who used to use this found anything else that works well? I don't like powder, but if it doesn't come off I'll try it.

How I wish the new company that owns Mally Beauty would bring this back. I think they would have by now. It must cost too much for them to do this. Mally cared about her customers; the new company is all about the bottom line.  Smiley Sad

Just like Coty with Philosophy's Amazing Grace...I've been wearing AG since the 90's and it has definitely changed.  The scent is different and no staying power (everyone's complaint).

Why mess with a really good thing😤

Respected Contributor

Just like everything else, it's all about the money.  They sell out to these big corporations who then farm out all the products to a cheaper manufacturer (usually China).  If you check the country of origin on some of your new products, you will see that items previously manufactured in Germany, France or Italy are now made in China.  Nearly all of Mally's products are junk now. That's the sad truth.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Just like everything else, it's all about the money.  They sell out to these big corporations who then farm out all the products to a cheaper manufacturer (usually China).  If you check the country of origin on some of your new products, you will see that items previously manufactured in Germany, France or Italy are now made in China.  Nearly all of Mally's products are junk now. That's the sad truth.

It actually wasn't about the money this time- Mally had to sell as her company filed for bankruptcy.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

It actually wasn't about the money this time- Mally had to sell as her company filed for bankruptcy.

Yes, she did, and the company that bought her out is farming out the mfg to China to make a higher profit margin.  How is that not about the money?  Mally is merely the spokesperson now.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

Yes, she did, and the company that bought her out is farming out the mfg to China to make a higher profit margin.  How is that not about the money?  Mally is merely the spokesperson now.

I was just saying for Mally it wasn't about selling the company for money. I wasn't commenting on what the new company is doing with it. That's all.

Regular Contributor

I just got an email today from Mally's website about the original face defender is available there!!!

Valued Contributor

Their customer service reps are also telling customers the mascara hasn't changed formula either. Somebody here reported that, but another found the difference in the ingredients and posted it here.

Honored Contributor

I did compare the ingredients of the od face original defender with the one on her website and the ingredients are still the same.

However, I believe @beach-mom is referrring to the newer face defender that has a bit of color to it that is supposed to be new and improved. I think she thought the other was going away but so far, it looks like the original is still available.

So this one:

NEW Face Defender Boost

vs this one:

Evercolor Poreless Face Defender