Honored Contributor

Re: Mally Shadow Stick TSV Arrived

I had never tried them before, got a very good deal on ebay for a set of 3 for $18, colors very neutral, so fsr so good. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Me too. Disappointed because I usually love her sticks. But the shimmer colors faded on me  very quickly and I do not like the matte shades. They're on their way back to QVC today.  Another ding on my over returning. 

Respected Contributor

I have the Laura mercier shadow sticks also.  Got the trio in the rose gold collection.   My first shadow sticks I've ever tried and I really love them.   I don't use a primer, and they stay on very well.

Super Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

Well checked at 30 minutes and 1 hour after application and as I thought, the shimmer shade was pretty much gone except for a bit right along the upper lash line after 30 minutes and after 1 hour the matte is holding on.  The eyeliners have held on pretty well too.  So will try eye primer with the shimmer shades and see if that helps.  I will try and make these work because I do like the matte and shimmer shades and the eyeliners seem fine.  But even if I can make the shimmers work, I wouldn't repuchase any of it.  Just not that much of a wow, I love these, kind of purchase for me.

I have oily lids as well. I have been on the hunt for a lid primer similar to Laura Gellers that came in a pot. I don't think she has this configuration anymore. 

I finally found what I'm looking for on Amazon, a lid primer called Sorme. And it's made in the USA!

I also received the Mally TSV and was concerned that the shadow sticks would not have staying power. To my surprise they still looked great the next morning! ( I always take my makeup off before bed, but this time I did not) Like you I tried the shadow sticks without a primer and it melted off my lids shortly after. 

Honored Contributor

@soxfan wrote:

@JudyL wrote:

Well checked at 30 minutes and 1 hour after application and as I thought, the shimmer shade was pretty much gone except for a bit right along the upper lash line after 30 minutes and after 1 hour the matte is holding on.  The eyeliners have held on pretty well too.  So will try eye primer with the shimmer shades and see if that helps.  I will try and make these work because I do like the matte and shimmer shades and the eyeliners seem fine.  But even if I can make the shimmers work, I wouldn't repuchase any of it.  Just not that much of a wow, I love these, kind of purchase for me.

I have oily lids as well. I have been on the hunt for a lid primer similar to Laura Gellers that came in a pot. I don't think she has this configuration anymore. 

I finally found what I'm looking for on Amazon, a lid primer called Sorme. And it's made in the USA!

I also received the Mally TSV and was concerned that the shadow sticks would not have staying power. To my surprise they still looked great the next morning! ( I always take my makeup off before bed, but this time I did not) Like you I tried the shadow sticks without a primer and it melted off my lids shortly after. 

@soxfan - Went to Amazon to check out Sorme primer and it has great reviews.  Put it on my wish list and will order next time I place an order on Amazon.  

Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL 

@JudyL wrote:

The TSV arrived yesterday so today while I'm home watchng football and knowing I'm not going out anywhere, I decided to try a matte on one eye and a shimmer on the other.  Also trying out the eyeliners.  All I could think of, is that if something does come up and I have to leave the house, hope I remember to take my eye make-up off!  HAHA

First, I have really oily eyelids and have never had luck with shadow sticks.   They literally melt away within minutes.  Mattes do seem to last longer than shimmers.  Have tried a few but they didn't really work out.  Have not tried Mally's so decided, one more time.....

So on one eye I put the matte shade Rosewood and on the other eye the shimmer shade Golden Blush.  Very nice subtle not screaming at you colors, went on easily, blended just fine, so far so good.  Applied the black eyeliner on the upper waterline and the brown eyeliner on lower lash line.  No eye primer was used because Mally always says one is not needed.  I am open to trying them with an eye primer if going without one doesn't work.

Will check back in later.

I use mostly Mally's products and they work great.  She just came out with an eye primer, but I didn't get because the sticks work fine and stay.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was disappointed in them and returned them. $50.00 after shipping and handling? Not worth anything.

No color pay-off, as of days of old. Hardly saw the color to begin with on my lids, in a few hours, NOTHING.

And the colors themselves were not as nice as what I was expecting. The liners were horrible...stiff, dragged the lid.

I was a huge Mally devotee. For over a decade I religiously wore her concealer, mascara, shadow sticks, liners and lip glosses. Still have my old liners, and 100% different than the junk that was in this kit.

Those above items were my Holy Grail items...best in category back in the day. No more. I've tried...the new mascara. Awful. New concealers, nope. Now these shadow sticks and liners. All much different than the products I used to use...and yet still top dollar. 

Since she sold her company I really feel she's just stayed on as "the talking head" and face of the company, but the quality is no longer there, so I'm done with her products. And I'm sad to say that...so wish all the good stuff was still being made. Even more annoying when she's up there acting like it's all just as good as ever...loss of integrity and a feeling of being fooled and ripped off. No thank you.

Super Contributor

i received my Mally shadow sticks a week ago.  I am so disappointed in them.  They bothered my eyelids and the matte felt like a crayon.  The shimmer ones feel some better but not perfect.  I can't weare powder eyeshadows anymore and thought these would be perfect.  I found out the hard way.  I'll give some away but not the one where the stick came out of the holder.  I'm so sad about them.  

Valued Contributor

So sorry to read that some are having problems with Mally shadow sticks. I love her shadow sticks and bought 2 of the TSV. No issue here with colors fading or staying on. I love all of the colors, including the shimmers. The charcoal is a good shade for a smokey eye look. I also like Bobbi Brown shadow sticks but Mally are my favorite for all day wear. I am not a fan of Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks because I have to reapply after a few hours. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@JudyL  mally's sticks used to be more "bulletproof", as she says. I prefer ones that are poven to be long wearing or state they are waterproof. This does mean you need to do one eye and finish before the next since they dry down quickly, but worth the staying power. It also makes them a one and done shadow...no primer needed since a light, neutral shade can serve as its own primer for other shadows. 

I was thinking this too-I found however if I use Mally's stick and then a coordinating powder shadow on top of that-I get serious "bulletproof" shadow. I know it's an extra step, but it works for me when I really want something to last long.