Honored Contributor

Mally Shadow Stick TSV Arrived

The TSV arrived yesterday so today while I'm home watchng football and knowing I'm not going out anywhere, I decided to try a matte on one eye and a shimmer on the other.  Also trying out the eyeliners.  All I could think of, is that if something does come up and I have to leave the house, hope I remember to take my eye make-up off!  HAHA

First, I have really oily eyelids and have never had luck with shadow sticks.   They literally melt away within minutes.  Mattes do seem to last longer than shimmers.  Have tried a few but they didn't really work out.  Have not tried Mally's so decided, one more time.....

So on one eye I put the matte shade Rosewood and on the other eye the shimmer shade Golden Blush.  Very nice subtle not screaming at you colors, went on easily, blended just fine, so far so good.  Applied the black eyeliner on the upper waterline and the brown eyeliner on lower lash line.  No eye primer was used because Mally always says one is not needed.  I am open to trying them with an eye primer if going without one doesn't work.

Will check back in later.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mally Shadow Stick TSV Arrived

That TSV got me interested in shadow sticks for the first time.  I didn't order the TSV although  I was tempted.  I did pick up 3 mini shadow sticks at Macys yesterday by Laura Mercier and I ordered 3 from ELF from amazon for 5 dollars each. I am impressed with both they go on very easy no pulling and I tried some on one hand and after many washings they are both still on my hand.  I think I will enjoy shadow sticks they are easy to use, stay on and are good for traveling.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

The TSV arrived yesterday so today while I'm home watchng football and knowing I'm not going out anywhere, I decided to try a matte on one eye and a shimmer on the other.  Also trying out the eyeliners.  All I could think of, is that if something does come up and I have to leave the house, hope I remember to take my eye make-up off!  HAHA

First, I have really oily eyelids and have never had luck with shadow sticks.   They literally melt away within minutes.  Mattes do seem to last longer than shimmers.  Have tried a few but they didn't really work out.  Have not tried Mally's so decided, one more time.....

So on one eye I put the matte shade Rosewood and on the other eye the shimmer shade Golden Blush.  Very nice subtle not screaming at you colors, went on easily, blended just fine, so far so good.  Applied the black eyeliner on the upper waterline and the brown eyeliner on lower lash line.  No eye primer was used because Mally always says one is not needed.  I am open to trying them with an eye primer if going without one doesn't work.

Will check back in later.

Well checked at 30 minutes and 1 hour after application and as I thought, the shimmer shade was pretty much gone except for a bit right along the upper lash line after 30 minutes and after 1 hour the matte is holding on.  The eyeliners have held on pretty well too.  So will try eye primer with the shimmer shades and see if that helps.  I will try and make these work because I do like the matte and shimmer shades and the eyeliners seem fine.  But even if I can make the shimmers work, I wouldn't repuchase any of it.  Just not that much of a wow, I love these, kind of purchase for me.

Honored Contributor

What eye primer do you have @JudyL ?  Sorry these didn't wow you.  As you already know, you can return them.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried Too Faced Glitter Glue?  It's a little tackier than a traditional primer, so it grabs glitter shadows. I would think it would work well also for shimmer shadows.  You can even apply it on top of a shadow that you want to add a glitter or shimmer to.  That's often how I use it.  Also, a silicone applicator works better for glitter shadows if you don't want to use your finger.  A brush just doesn't seem to work for glitter, although for shimmers either can work. 

Honored Contributor

@JudyL  mally's sticks used to be more "bulletproof", as she says. I prefer ones that are poven to be long wearing or state they are waterproof. This does mean you need to do one eye and finish before the next since they dry down quickly, but worth the staying power. It also makes them a one and done shadow...no primer needed since a light, neutral shade can serve as its own primer for other shadows. 

Respected Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

That TSV got me interested in shadow sticks for the first time.  I didn't order the TSV although  I was tempted.  I did pick up 3 mini shadow sticks at Macys yesterday by Laura Mercier and I ordered 3 from ELF from amazon for 5 dollars each. I am impressed with both they go on very easy no pulling and I tried some on one hand and after many washings they are both still on my hand.  I think I will enjoy shadow sticks they are easy to use, stay on and are good for traveling.

I recently purchased 2 ELF sticks.  Colors are pretty, easy to apply.  I'm liking it so far.  Not bad for $5/each.

Respected Contributor

@JudyL , I have Mac eye primer in the little pot.  I dab on with a small brush.  It's excellent.  Covers any discoloring too.  I only bought it because the make up artist at Mac was adamant about using it when I was there choosing shadows for my daughter's wedding.   Honestly I hardly ever use it, my shadows/sticks, etc stay on with no problem,  but if want more perfection or it's a special day, I'll definitely use it.

Respected Contributor

I wore my new Laura Mercier shadow sticks last night, I am bad about washing my face at night, I woke up and the shadow is still completely in tact!  They were fun to apply also, I ordered another in a pink color.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin - I tried them yesterday with the 2 different primers that I have and it was not any better at all.  They are all packaged up and ready to be returned.  Not for me.  I know what little pot of MAC primer you're talking about and glad it worked for you, it didn't for me.