Honored Contributor

Re: Making a Haircut Appt...1st One Since 3rd Week in Oct 2020

@monicakm wrote:

@reiki604 

I'll be 62 next month.  I can't even imagine letting my hair grow gray.  I don't know when that time will come or how I'll know "it's time".  Last time I asked my stylist, she said I was about 25% gray.  I've got little gray curly baby hairs at my temples.  The other day I pulled out some matte darkish brown eyeshadow and covered the gray Smiley Happy

@monicakm   You'll know it's time when you're about 75% or more grey, you have skunk line where your hair parts after 2 weeks of having your hair colored and your life is revolving around your color appointments that are evvery 3 weeks....$175 each time + tip and more with a haircut. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Our beauticians weren't able to open their salons for about two months here. My hair grows fast and has natural curl; normally I have it cut every 4-5 weeks. During those two months, I actually trimmed it myself in order to keep my sanity (and appearance)!

Can't imagine how some of you have gone many months (or years) without having your hair cut or doing it yourself. Healthy hair needs regular trimming! 

Hope everyone is able to return to a beauty shop soon. It's such a good feeling to have a shampoo and style (or blowdry)!   

@BirkiLady   Actually, if hair is healthy, no split ends...the cut is just to maintain the style. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last cut I had it cut much shorter so I could go 4-5 months before it needed another cut.  I’ll be scheduling another cut in April.  I might put a glaze in my hair to help hide the gray.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

@reiki604 

I'll be 62 next month.  I can't even imagine letting my hair grow gray.  I don't know when that time will come or how I'll know "it's time".  Last time I asked my stylist, she said I was about 25% gray.  I've got little gray curly baby hairs at my temples.  The other day I pulled out some matte darkish brown eyeshadow and covered the gray Smiley Happy

@monicakm   You'll know it's time when you're about 75% or more grey, you have skunk line where your hair parts after 2 weeks of having your hair colored and your life is revolving around your color appointments that are evvery 3 weeks....$175 each time + tip and more with a haircut. 

@Shanus 

Whew! $175 every 3 weeks? Sooo thankful to my ancestors for my "late to grey" gene.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

@reiki604 

@Shanus 

Whew! $175 every 3 weeks? Sooo thankful to my ancestors for my "late to grey" gene.

@shoesnbags   Me too! That's one of the main reasons I went natural. My salon used to charge much less and then began charging separatly for blow drying your hair after the service....$45!!!....unless you had a haircut then the blow dry was included. So, I was stuck between a rock and hard place. The two salons I had gone to in the years before had started to do this and many salons in town were figuring they'd "up" their prices the same way. I the warm months, if my color appt. was the last thing I had to do (errands completeled first), I left with my wet hair. Most of the time, I had morning appts. and had things to do afterwards and couldn't leave looking like a drowned rat. 

I never understood their not wanting to dry the hair to make sure the color came out OK...that was MY arguement with them. Eventually, right before I decided to stop coloring my hair, I made the point that as a regular, every 3 weeks customer, they should cut me a break with the drying and they stopped charging the $45, but my hair all grey/silver/white (since age 30) and 3 1/2 decades of dye was was getting old and my hair was showing it. So, the decision was made. 

Wow, sorry for the long explanation. 

Honored Contributor

I would be going crazy with out a hair cut on a regular basis...every month for me!  I have hair that falls in to place easily as long as it is kept slightly short.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Perhaps I'm in the minority on this board.  My hair is very short and has natural curl; it must be trimmed at least once a month for best appearance. No split ends. It grows too fast! And those crazy curls have a wild mind of their own. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

$175 for a cut and color? Smiley Surprised  I'm glad I live in tiny town.  I color my own hair now for $8 and a cut is $25 + tip.  When I did have my hair colored a couple of times (color didn't last any longer than my home color) it was $85 for color and cut.