Trusted Contributor

Re: Makeup wearers with dry skin

@Katcat1@surfeewife@silleemee
I have several elf primers including the one you are all speaking about. It doesn't hydrate my skin at all.
I do have a slightly under active thyroid and I'm not sure if that's contributing to the dryness or just my age or both.
@author
I've seen the EL primer you are talking about and not tried it. I may ask for a sample at my EL counter soon.

For the poster who uses EA eight hour oil before skincare, I did use my tatcha essence first then my plant guru jojoba oil before all other skincare this morning before makeup. I also tried the Missha BB cream and it's been almost 4 hrs since application so I'm checking to see how everything looks in a few.

I hate for my makeup to look old and slept in after only a few hours that's why I started this thread.
I have enjoyed and appreciated all responses.
All ideas I'm considering as well
Honored Contributor

Sahara Desert here.  My face gets lots of hydration before bed and during my morning routine.  Night time is more intense.  I don't wear makeup every day but when I do, these are my products.  Well these are my products on days that I don't wear makeup too, except for the Hourglass primer.  I don't wear that if I'm not wearing makeup.  

Two essences (hydrating and preps skin for products to come)

Glow Recipe PHA/BHA toner (fat water)

Glow Recipe  Hyaluronic Acid

Glow Recipe Pink Juice Moisturizer

(if wearing makeup) Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer

Thru out the day, if I start to feel dry/tight, I spritz my face with an uber fine mist of more essence.  I prefer the milky essences as I feel they are more hydrating and moisturizing).

Honored Contributor

@Midmod 

Maybe consider changing your cleanser can help with your dry skin issue. Also avoid using hot or very warm water during cleansing and that includes standing under hot showers. Increasing fresh fruit/veg in your diet will help provide vitamin C which is a very important part of maintaining skin hydration. Also important are omega-3s in diet, for instance from sea fish, nuts and seeds.

Lactic acid can help increase natural ceramide levels in the skin which deplete as we age. Ceramides are found in the outer layers of the skin and they help prevent water loss by creating a natural water barrier inside the skin. You can also take ceramide (phytoceramides) supplements to help increase ceramide levels in the skin.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

Altho my favorite all purpse foundation is Nars Light Reflecting foundation, I LOVE my Rose Inc serum foundation.  I would like to try the BB foundation next time I'm buying a foundation but right now I need to finish the several I already own.  I have The Orinary serum foundation too and like it as well.  I need to use that next time.  It's been a while.  It's one that works better (for me) in the cooler months.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee
I use only lukewarm water to cleanse. I've tried lots of cleansers. I also tried pond's cleansing cream but that seemed to clog my pores and not rinse completely off as well. My skin likes exfoliation. I'm still looking for one that works well for me.
I don't take a separate vit c besides what's in my centrum multivitamin but am considering adding that as well. I have been taking Omega 3 all year along with other vitamins/ supplements.
I will consider all responses and try some of them. The drier my skin gets, the more I'm having to add to my arsenal it seems
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm
What essence do you use to spritz your face with? I tried Dickinson's hydrating spritz at work but it didn't seem to help. Then I just started putting Vaseline on my face during my breaks just to stop feeling tight. I even would dab some on my eyes to alleviate that drawing I get sometimes in the winter. *Sigh*
It's been an uphill battle.
Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness, you must be really really dry.  I use all of these.

Vegan Kombucha Cream Essence, Cruelty FreeㅣThe most Effective all-in-one serumㅣKorean Skin Care Contains Kombucha, Tea extract 78%, Camellia, Sunflower Seed OilㅣNot Tested On Animals | Dr.Ceuracle 

and 

well maybe this one isn't technically an essence but it is hydrating.

and this one.  Please don't be turned off by what it is.  No snails were hurt in the making of this product. 

and this (my complexion is uber dry too if left on it's own).  

Trusted Contributor

I also have very dry skin.  I use these Paula's Choice products:

Softening Cream Cleanser (with a Clarasonic brush);

Enriched Calming Toner;

2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant;

Replenishing Moisturizer

Sometimes products that are supposed to moisturize actually dry my skin out.  I wonder if some of the products you are using are doing that to your skin since your skin still dries out in just a few hours.

Or maybe the air where you work is extremely dry and a humidifer would help?

I hope you find something that works better for you.  I am so glad I found these products because I just hated that "tight" feeling my skin would get.

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm
Hi I've been looking for all those you posted. The pix helped thanks. Not that I'm not looking at all posts from everyone else, it's just that it's easier when I see pictures lol I'm old. I couldn't find the Dr ceuracle but found the rest.
I have a question about the Glow watermelon toner. The reviews said it's not a fine enough mist for use over makeup. What do you think?
I'm looking at a site I've never bought from before, ~stylevana~. The "snail" item you mentioned is there on a flash sale and I can bundle. So what would you suggest I add with it? They offer several options on the same page and want to make a good choice for me. Also, does the snail formula have a fine enough mist for use over makeup? I primarily need something at work to hydrate between my morning and evening routine. Thank you
Trusted Contributor

@DottieBlue
Thanks I'm looking at those you listed as well.
As far as the air quality, I'm sure it's bad. It's A/C all year without ever having fresh air allowed in unfortunately even though there's ventilation that can be opened at cool times of the year. ( They say that if those vents are opened, alarms are set off 🙄 (so turn off the alarms for a while. )
The air quality where we live isn't polluted.