Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup sales down 22% according to CNN

I can certainly imagine that lipstick sales in particular would be way down. No need to wear any while at home, and with masks being worn outside the house, our mouths are covered. Plus, lipstick would rub off on the mask.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

Nope. I stopped buying makeup more than a year ago (excpet to replace what I use up). I know what works so why bother just for the heck of it? Prefer to keep that money in my wallet.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

In my part of the country it will soon be hotter than the face of the sun (slight exaggeration) with high humidity and birght awful, dreadful sunlight. Add this misery to wearing a face mask and no makeup stands a chance. So I will probably continue to go makeup free even when we move from working at home back to the office.

Respected Contributor

I can't say I'm surprised. Between everyone working from home, and everyone wearing masks when they are out, what is the point in wearing makeup? I still wear some because I'm working in my office a couple of days a week, but I'm not wearing as much either. If I was working from home I certainly wouldn't bother. 

Honored Contributor

When people are struggling to buy groceries and pay their rent or mortgages they sure as heck can't afford makeup. Lots of people will have to get their priorities straight and buy only needs until they get their jobs back. 

I'm surprised makeup sales are only down 22%, I would have thought it would be higher. 

Esteemed Contributor

I ordered the Tarte Park Ave Princess bronzer that was on a few days ago. I have been using this for years. I love it, makes my skin have beautiful glow. 

Thats the only makeup purchase I have made in quite a while.

Respected Contributor

They are lucky they are only down by 22%. I would have expected much much more. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm retired so a full face of makeup is not the norm for me. However, I do want to still feel good about how I look. I do put on sunscreen and my Bare Minerals every day. Lipstick is what always helps pick up my mood. Yesterday, I placed an order with the big A for a hair product that was halved in price, an eyebrow pencil, and a lipstick. I'm planning a trip to Walgreens next week to stock up on some things so a trip to the beauty aisle is in order then. A new lipstick is a small way for me to feel good about myself.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what the makeup stats will be in the coming months as states are reopening. I see many women without masks and wearing makeup. Those dining outside at restaurants may still be "fixing up". I think an increase in skincare will take a share of the market. Those not wearing makeup are realizing the importance of a good complexion in an attempt to be makeup free. 

Honored Contributor

That doesn't surprise me at all. I use to never leave the house without makeup, now with wearing a mask I'm lucky if I wear eye makeup.