Esteemed Contributor

Re: Makeup sales down 22% according to CNN

No doubt all of the reasons posted so far here are valid.  Not going out for social occasions and events where makeup is something most would wear; working from home; personal budgets; and the dreaded masks.  I stopped wearing blush and lipstick when I go out when I was compelled to wear a mask. I usually pt on a little makeup at home, but sometimes I do a full face of glam just to feel pretty.  

Honored Contributor

I wore full makeup yesterday for our Zoom meeting with our children. Last time I wore full makeup was at Easter with another Zoom dinner. 

Some articles are saying eyeshadow palettes will be very popular.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

For about 3 weeks I never put on makeup or a bra! Didn't go anywhere. 

Honored Contributor

Q has also contributed to the decline by not calling on artists to make-up its hosts.  The artists were using a ton of the stuff.

Super Contributor

QVC's programming is to blame. Always the same ole tired vendors.

Honored Contributor

I'll bet if sales were down 75 percent nobody would look different except in the bank account. 

Honored Contributor

While makeup sales are definitely down, I imagine that the sales of 2 other beauty products are up: nail polish and hair coloring. Those who have their hair coloring and manicures done at salons are now buying the hair color and nail polish, in order to DIY at home.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I'm doing my part.  How about you?

@depglass 

Makeup? No, I’m not buying any but I would normally only buy as needed and I don’t need any right now. I’m wearing makeup less often so what I have will last longer.

But I’m buying some skincare products to try out.

Im surprised it isn’t down more.

Honored Contributor

@depglass  CNN better do their survey or whatever again.  With women being home and having a computer, I am sure they are doing some damage.  I know I have because some beauty sites are offering discounts and free shipping and loving every part of it.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I also would have thought the number would have been higher.  My favorite makeup has been for ages --- lipsticks and glosses.  Now, what's the point as wearing the masks just makes a mess of it?  I wear only a clear balm when I have to go out with the mask.  As for foundation,etc. - no point in wearing that either.  When I'm home, I don't wear makeup at all.  I do miss putting all my makeup on to go out for dinner with DH, to do fun shopping, to meet friends for lunch, etc!!!  I want to buy new makeup items but then I realize it doesn't make sense to do so! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin