Valued Contributor

I was reading reviews for a newer brand of cosmetics here and though they sounded like they were written by a pro. There were 4 or 5 out of six that sounded professional. I noted they had few previous posts some were just for this brand. Have you ever felt that way?

Honored Contributor

I've felt that way about many kinds of reviews-the most recent about a healthcare center that you had to pay a lot-How could all be 5 stars?,

and some apartment reviews.

I think Amazon's reviews tend to sound more real to me.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

One of the jewelry websites I frequent.........I sort by customer reviews and notice many items come up with 5 star reviews......but only 1 review. It makes me leary of that review. 

Cindy 

Esteemed Contributor

It's a "work at home" job that I've seen advertised.  Yes, you too can get a job writing fake reviews for various companies for a salary.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I also notice that the more a product costs, the higher the rating...generally speaking. To me it appears that people give those higher ratings to justify their spending and not necessarily for the product's performance.

Honored Contributor

I’m more interested to know how long a person had or used a product before posting a review. Shmearing on a moisturizer for a few nights is not a sufficient test to give a review whether 1 or 5 Stars. 

Valued Contributor

@fluffysmom I am skeptical as well, and yet I think some people have become more proficient at writing these because of YouTube "stars" doing reviews, bloggers, complaints by other customers about the lack of detail in reviews, etc.  I know I have felt compelled to give as much information as possible to address for others the information that I would want to know.  However, if it is Amazon, I always sort by Verified Purchases only and then read through them.  HSN requires you to have a purchase for at least a week, before the system allows you to review an item.  I have said this many times, I believe the Q should use the same process (they are sister companies after all).

Respected Contributor

I bounce between MakeupAlley, & Nordstrom for most of my makeup reviews. 

Esteemed Contributor

I find that I like Makeup Alley best for reviews. People get really detailed there and I feel there are a lot of people here who get really defensive about certain products (Wen for one) so it makes me a little more weary. I don't know if this is still the case but I always like that at HSN you had to buy the product to leave a review where at the time, you didn't have to buy it here to leave a review. That may have changed though.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

Are you joking or it that true?